Internet options?

Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet options?

Loking for a quick-fix interim solution here, preferably one that can be bought in advance so that it works the minute I set foot on British soil!

In Aus I have a USB widget that works on a pay as you go basis with a SIM card in it. Doesn't need a wireless set up in the property its used in, works anywhere that has Telstra reception or can pick up other providers by roaming.
Is there anything similar in the UK now? Preferably something I can buy over the net, or get a friend to buy for me and post to me so that I have instant access when I get to the UK?!! Cost wouldn't be the major concern in the short-term, easy access to email etc would be essential for jobhunting and stuff like that.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet options?

They seem to call it "mobile broadband" in the UK.

Here us one from Carphone Warehouse:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/bro...EM-TMOBU-WEB10

And this one claims to be the independent guide to the best deals for pay-as-you-go mobile broadband dongles:
http://mobile.broadbandgenie.co.uk/3.../pay-as-you-go
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Loking for a quick-fix interim solution here, preferably one that can be bought in advance so that it works the minute I set foot on British soil!

In Aus I have a USB widget that works on a pay as you go basis with a SIM card in it. Doesn't need a wireless set up in the property its used in, works anywhere that has Telstra reception or can pick up other providers by roaming.
Is there anything similar in the UK now? Preferably something I can buy over the net, or get a friend to buy for me and post to me so that I have instant access when I get to the UK?!! Cost wouldn't be the major concern in the short-term, easy access to email etc would be essential for jobhunting and stuff like that.
We purchased an Orange dongle for use in a research project where we needed to access the internet while out collecting data in the field ... I'll see if I can find the details.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
We purchased an Orange dongle for use in a research project where we needed to access the internet while out collecting data in the field ... I'll see if I can find the details.
That sounds like the kind of thing - if you find the details, that'd be fab!!
I already have a UK Orange SIM card for my phone, so could be a good move if they do combined deals.

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
They seem to call it "mobile broadband" in the UK.

Here us one from Carphone Warehouse:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/bro...EM-TMOBU-WEB10

And this one claims to be the independent guide to the best deals for pay-as-you-go mobile broadband dongles:
http://mobile.broadbandgenie.co.uk/3.../pay-as-you-go
Thanks! I'll have a browse!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 7:00 am
Just Joined

psb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nice

every company makes a dongle I have one with vodaphone it's only about £15 a month but you can buy just one gig at a time not sure on the price but it is the same system as you are using now.
They come with a simcard and not sure if your phone sim will work though
Old Dec 4th 2009, 8:45 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by psb1821962
every company makes a dongle I have one with vodaphone it's only about £15 a month but you can buy just one gig at a time not sure on the price but it is the same system as you are using now.
They come with a simcard and not sure if your phone sim will work though
Cab't put my SIM card in it, I need that in my phone!! I would be looking to get one with a SIM card that I can use as PAYG and preferable top-up online. No good going to one with a contract as I want to get it set up and running ready to use when I get to the UK. Need good coverage, certainly across southern England, but the wider the coverage of the whole UK the better
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

Cab't put my SIM card in it, I need that in my phone!! I would be looking to get one with a SIM card that I can use as PAYG and preferable top-up online. No good going to one with a contract as I want to get it set up and running ready to use when I get to the UK. Need good coverage, certainly across southern England, but the wider the coverage of the whole UK the better
You could try Vodafone PAYG.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=MB_0012

By the way I have no connection with Vodafone.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Green_shutters
You could try Vodafone PAYG.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=MB_0012

By the way I have no connection with Vodafone.
I'll give them a look - many thanks!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Vodaphone one. It works fine for basic internet. Just plugs into the USB port on the computer.

You have to top up with 15 pounds at a time, but that 15 lasts a long time for e-mail and some browsing. It's not every month.

It's brilliant, actually. Much better than hunting down internet cafes.

Bev
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They're all about the same in cost tbh, just watch out for max limits, the lowest payg rates usually cap at 2GB, but that should be more than enough.

My sister uses O2 because she got the USB dongle free with her phone.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobileb...nd/tab/1_month

Gets cheaper the more you pay up front...but there's usually discount codes you can find online via google.

Check the airport your flying into, might be able to pick it up duty free when you land if getting it sent out to you is going to cost much...I've no idea what shipping rates are to Oz, but if it's anything like the US, just something to think about.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:46 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bob
They're all about the same in cost tbh, just watch out for max limits, the lowest payg rates usually cap at 2GB, but that should be more than enough.

My sister uses O2 because she got the USB dongle free with her phone.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobileb...nd/tab/1_month

Gets cheaper the more you pay up front...but there's usually discount codes you can find online via google.

Check the airport your flying into, might be able to pick it up duty free when you land if getting it sent out to you is going to cost much...I've no idea what shipping rates are to Oz, but if it's anything like the US, just something to think about.
I've been looking at the O2 one, looks like a good option. Useful to know about the discount codes too!! The Aussie one is the same, the more ou pay up front the cheaper it is. Certainly wouldn't want less than 2GB, I've worked out that much.
Hadn't thought of the airport option, that's a good thought, specially as I use Heathrow

Cheers Bob
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bevm
I have a Vodaphone one. It works fine for basic internet. Just plugs into the USB port on the computer.

You have to top up with 15 pounds at a time, but that 15 lasts a long time for e-mail and some browsing. It's not every month.

It's brilliant, actually. Much better than hunting down internet cafes.

Bev
Much the same as the Telstra one I have here, I really didn't know if they were common in the UK now or not, but it sounds like they are. This one is brilliant (even though its run by Telstra who most people avoid like the plague) - means I can run the laptop at work as well as at home, and I don't have to stuff about with wireless networks and phonelines
Old Dec 5th 2009, 6:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like the kind of thing - if you find the details, that'd be fab!!
I have attached the catalog for the one we got - it's for businesses, but presumably you might be able to use information in this catalog to find the equivalent for personal use ... sorry, not sure if you are looking for a contract one or a PAYG ...

Details of the one we went with are below:

(ZTE MF636 USB Modem), on a 24 month Business Everywhere Unlimited Plan (£15/month)

... think it's on p. 9 of the catalog.

As per previous comment, I have no commercial interest in any particular company (in fact I am usually pretty clueless about this sort of stuff)

Good luck - all the little things seem to take forever when you move back and it can seem like a challenge every day which is why BE comes in useful!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
August 2009 Price Book.pdf (868.4 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 5th 2009 at 6:07 am.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have attached the catalog for the one we got - it's for businesses, but presumably you might be able to use information in this catalog to find the equivalent for personal use ... sorry, not sure if you are looking for a contract one or a PAYG ...

Details of the one we went with are below:

(ZTE MF636 USB Modem), on a 24 month Business Everywhere Unlimited Plan (£15/month)

... think it's on p. 9 of the catalog.

As per previous comment, I have no commercial interest in any particular company (in fact I am usually pretty clueless about this sort of stuff)

Good luck - all the little things seem to take forever when you move back and it can seem like a challenge every day which is why BE comes in useful!)
Cheers for that! And you're so right with the last comment - I'm at the stage of waking up suddenly thinking "how the heck do I do THAT!" I know the more little things I can sort in advance, the more relaxed I will feel about going back
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

the more relaxed I will feel about going back
Pol have I missed something here sweetie? Are you moving back for good or just a holiday? If it's for good....wahoooooo....but I'm sorry for the circumstances that you may be going through to do this. If it's for a holiday....enjoy!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.