Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

International Driving License

International Driving License

Old May 10th 2014, 3:41 am
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Driving License

Not exactly moving back home, but I am visiting in a couple of weeks (passport permitting). I have booked a rental car - and am petrified for driving on the right side of the road again!!!

I went to AAA to ask about documentation I should bring and was told to get an International Driving Permit. They are $15 a person, so I’d need one for me and the Mrs. Never heard of these before. Are they a requirement, or a means for AAA to rack up a few extra bucks?

The .gov page on this matter is as vague as could be.
Old May 10th 2014, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Driving License

You don't need one. It's only needed if your licence is not in English.
Old May 10th 2014, 5:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Like Sally R said, a complete waste of money if you're visiting the UK. I am going myself and certainly will not be buying a translation of my US license.
Old May 10th 2014, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: International Driving License

As sally & Pulaski say - no problem with US licence. Have your passport with you as back up.
I use my UK licence in the States and all they have ever asked for is my passport - not even that the last couple of times. Maybe thats because I now have the picture licence - we used to just have paper ones so the passport did at least show you were the guy on the licence!
Old May 11th 2014, 7:12 am

Thats amazing as technically they two very different types of identification. So in theory one could not be licensed to drive a vehicle yet still drive using a passport as ID. How do you get insurance, do they ask for a DL?

Thanks for the advice, I shan't waste my time or money and use my US license instead.
Old May 11th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if you stay in the UK, though, you have to get a UK license at some point - and how do you get one?

I had my lifetime UK license but it got lost in my recent move.
Old May 11th 2014, 1:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Surely if you stay in the UK, though, you have to get a UK license at some point - and how do you get one?

I had my lifetime UK license but it got lost in my recent move.
You can apply for a replacement from the DVLA as and when you make a permanent return.
Old May 11th 2014, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can apply for a replacement from the DVLA as and when you make a permanent return.
Thank you. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take another driving test.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
Thats amazing as technically they two very different types of identification. So in theory one could not be licensed to drive a vehicle yet still drive using a passport as ID. How do you get insurance, do they ask for a DL?

Thanks for the advice, I shan't waste my time or money and use my US license instead.
You need to be licensed to drive a vehicle but the US one is OK.

PS I see you were answering quiltman about the US, so ignore that.

Last edited by Sally Redux; May 11th 2014 at 2:55 pm.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You need to be licensed to drive a vehicle but the US one is OK.

PS I see you were answering quiltman about the US, so ignore that.
I shall, I did, I was, and I won’t. Not necessarily in that order
Old May 12th 2014, 7:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly moving back home, but I am visiting in a couple of weeks (passport permitting). I have booked a rental car - and am petrified for driving on the right side of the road again!!!

I went to AAA to ask about documentation I should bring and was told to get an International Driving Permit. They are $15 a person, so I’d need one for me and the Mrs. Never heard of these before. Are they a requirement, or a means for AAA to rack up a few extra bucks?

The .gov page on this matter is as vague as could be.
Please do not drive on the right side of the road in the UK, everyone else will be going in the opposite direction.. ohhh.. you meant the CORRECT side of the road, which here is the LEFT..
Old May 12th 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Please do not drive on the right side of the road in the UK, everyone else will be going in the opposite direction.. ohhh.. you meant the CORRECT side of the road, which here is the LEFT..
haha
Old May 12th 2014, 8:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

- and am petrified for driving on the right side of the road again!!!
Last year was the first time back in 7 years, and I had some concern about the changing of sides. Not a problem jumped in the car and drove off, it was like I had never been away.
Old May 15th 2014, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

Technically you can drive on your US licence for 12 months. However, I got oan International licence for my hubby (thankfully I still have my valid UK licence) because one of my best buddies is a cop in the UK and as he says, if he pulls someone over and they have a Texas licence he has no clue whether it's legitimate or not. If he sees an international licence then at least he know what he's looking at. We figured for $15 it was worth the peace of mind.
Old May 16th 2014, 2:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helendha
Technically you can drive on your US licence for 12 months. However, I got oan International licence for my hubby (thankfully I still have my valid UK licence) because one of my best buddies is a cop in the UK and as he says, if he pulls someone over and they have a Texas licence he has no clue whether it's legitimate or not. If he sees an international licence then at least he know what he's looking at. We figured for $15 it was worth the peace of mind.
Except its not valid. As soon as you get a valid driving licence and live in another country, your UK licence is invalid. So says DVLA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.