Wikiposts

I'm I being brain washed?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm I being brain washed?

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
Australia is a love affair for some people................and has a big identity problem that is for sure, so the country is doing something about it.

But you are being brainwashed indeed, as they will tell you everywhere else is crap, you belong here, they will adopt anything aslong as it brings visibility to the little big island.

I mean , Kylie, she was vilified when she was in neighbours and started her pop career- soon as she made it big time- whoa- it turned to "OUR KYLIE"

That princess skank from Tasmania- An Aussie endorsing "A TASMANIAN" again "OUR MARY"

Shayne Warne is innocent- its all the "British Slappers" aagain "OUR SHAYNE"

Winter Olympic Games- It was a canadian- who won that gold, as canada said no way to him studying and being an olympian.....

Most of the soccer team are foriegners- and if it be known half of them if they were good and spotted by their nation, most probably wouldnt play for Australia-

once you have committed to alife of beaches and sunshine, and your pockets have been raped by the government, and all the usual suspects who live there, the only way of getting out is like they did 200 years ago as the flights are a rip off out of there.

How dare I say anything like that.

Your right this "OUR" business drives me mad. Look I'm not aussie bashing, which has been suggested. Its just that I've lived a few places now, and I can honestly say I have not noticed this elsewhere. Apart from what I've witnessed of the americans. Overboard patriotism and this tick a tape parade mentality for every little thing. I certainly don't believe UK is the perfect place - Just observations of living in OZ.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: I'm I being brain washed?

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I get so tired of reading all this Aussie bashing. If you want to know what Aussies have done for the World do a search for Aussie inventions! Australians don't have an inferiority complex they just don't give a sh*t what anyoneelse thinks of them. They are proud of who they are. I have read so many posts from English people on these forms who think that England is the only country that does things the right way and is the only country that has contributed to the World and then have the audacity to miscall Australians for being patriotic. It is my opinion that it is the English who have the inferiority complex.
When you live in a country you would expect to hear news etc pertaining to that country.
Gibbo nothing wrong with bieng patriotic but it's over done.However the world is a big incredible place and it doesn't revolve around Australia or for that matter any other country.When you have lived in other countries and travelled your out look isn't that small and it can be difficult listening to the aussie thing all the time.
Also Australians do this in other countries too so poms aren't the only whingers!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:14 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Has any one else notice how often they say Australia, Australians or OZZIES. honestly I sit down to watch TV I must here it 20 or 30 times a day. Same in the shopping centres - australian made etc. We have had foxtel for about 10 months now and even on that nearly everyother programme mentions Australia or kylie minogue, I'm sure they only pick those programs to air because they mention australia or some connection. Even with the commonwealth games I did't watch it, but all I heard was the australian anethem, I questioned my husband, it there anyone else in the games? - its too much!
It's Little America. They're just really into 'branding' their residents and it works.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

This is something that is obviously very noticeable to Brits abroad. Oz immigrants notice that Australia does it, and I definitely notice that America does it. It grates on the British nerves, as shown by the replies in this thread.

I'd like to know if Americans in Oz notice it and hate it, or Australians in the US. Is it annoying because we just don't do it, but we wouldn't bother if we were used to it in our own country? Or is it annoying because any other country doing it is sort of rubbing our face in the fact we don't belong, we're aliens?

Some of it in America is because they don't have a word for where we would say "Royal", like in RSPCA - they have "American" instead. Royal Air Force, US Air Force. At least we don't have Royal Idol (thank God).
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
Gibbo nothing wrong with bieng patriotic but it's over done.However the world is a big incredible place and it doesn't revolve around Australia or for that matter any other country.When you have lived in other countries and travelled your out look isn't that small and it can be difficult listening to the aussie thing all the time.
Also Australians do this in other countries too so poms aren't the only whingers!
I did not suggest that the World revolved around Australia, just as it doesn't revolve around England- which was the point I was trying to make. Each person usually thinks that the country they were born is a bit better than anywhere else and good on them. However just because you don't like a place there is no need to constantly run it down. For your own information, I am not Australian born and I have travelled extensively on every Continent. I lived the first 28 years of my life in the country of my birth. When I travel and find somewhere I don't like I don't I don't belittle the place or its inhabitants for thinking its the best place in the world.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I did not suggest that the World revolved around Australia, just as it doesn't revolve around England- which was the point I was trying to make. Each person usually thinks that the country they were born is a bit better than anywhere else and good on them. However just because you don't like a place there is no need to constantly run it down. For your own information, I am not Australian born and I have travelled extensively on every Continent. I lived the first 28 years of my life in the country of my birth. When I travel and find somewhere I don't like I don't I don't belittle the place or its inhabitants for thinking its the best place in the world.
I don't contantly run down Australia and I keep my own council when it comes to bieng with Australians.I wouldn't go out of my way to be rude to them about their country it's a pity that doesn't cut both ways.You said that you have travelled.does this mean then you have never had an opion about where you have been? I still think they need to get over themselves.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
I don't contantly run down Australia and I keep my own council when it comes to bieng with Australians.I wouldn't go out of my way to be rude to them about their country it's a pity that doesn't cut both ways.You said that you have travelled.does this mean then you have never had an opion about where you have been? I still think they need to get over themselves.
It was never suggested that YOU constantly run down Australia and if you read my last sentence you will see that I do have opinions. Methinks you presume too much. Anyway this is becoming a very picky discussion and as such very boring. I standby my first post. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

I asked an American about this, and she said she'd never noticed her own country doing it. She was surprised but not offended that I thought it was very obvious in America.

She had however noticed the Canadians do it and that drives her mad. Now she pointed it out, I had to agree with her about Canada; I just always thought they did it to say "We're not America, please don't confuse us with them".
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I'm I being brain washed?

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Your right this "OUR" business drives me mad. Look I'm not aussie bashing, which has been suggested. Its just that I've lived a few places now, and I can honestly say I have not noticed this elsewhere.
New Zealand has much the same attitude.

Buzzy
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
It's Little America. They're just really into 'branding' their residents and it works.
True. The rule of thumb on Australian TV is to use the word "Australians" as much as possible, when the term "people" would suffice. Could be to do with a recently forged national identity.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:57 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed yesterday that a load of signs have suddenly appeared around Sydney's central station area, which read:

Land Clearing - It's Un-Australian.

Once I'd got over my giggling fit, I had to wonder what that actually meant? People who clear land aren't being 'Australian'? (Presumably that excludes all farmers, then.) Why? What exactly is the link between an act (or behaviour) and an identity? Who are these Australians and how do they behave? Is there a set of instructions I should be looking at?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I noticed yesterday that a load of signs have suddenly appeared around Sydney's central station area, which read:

Land Clearing - It's Un-Australian.

Once I'd got over my giggling fit, I had to wonder what that actually meant? People who clear land aren't being 'Australian'? (Presumably that excludes all farmers, then.) Why? What exactly is the link between an act (or behaviour) and an identity? Who are these Australians and how do they behave? Is there a set of instructions I should be looking at?
I think it's something to do with "mateship" and "a fair go".

Actually, I have no idea what it means, but it's certainly used a lot as a means of discrediting people with whom you disagree. In a society that seems to attach so much value to creating a national identity, the gravest fear of many must be to be branded un-Australian.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:28 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I think it's something to do with "mateship" and "a fair go".

Actually, I have no idea what it means, but it's certainly used a lot as a means of discrediting people with whom you disagree. In a society that seems to attach so much value to creating a national identity, the gravest fear of many must be to be branded un-Australian.

Yes, I figured it had something to do with discrediting people. And whilst it comes across as a fairly light, breezy insult, I think the implications are somewhat more worrying. We all have to be the same. Tolerance of deviation from the norm isn't a priority.

Like I said, I have no idea what it really means. I'm not sure that people really think it through when they actually use the term (which is even more worrying).

I guess the British equivialnt might be something like, 'that's not cricket'. That gets across the fair go element, but doesn't resort to identity to make the point.

Blimey, this is all a bit intellectual for a Tuesday morning. Best go and make some innane posts somewhere.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Yes, I figured it had something to do with discrediting people. And whilst it comes across as a fairly light, breezy insult, I think the implications are somewhat more worrying. We all have to be the same. Tolerance of deviation from the norm isn't a priority.

Like I said, I have no idea what it really means. I'm not sure that people really think it through when they actually use the term (which is even more worrying).

I guess the British equivialnt might be something like, 'that's not cricket'. That gets across the fair go element, but doesn't resort to identity to make the point.

Blimey, this is all a bit intellectual for a Tuesday morning. Best go and make some innane posts somewhere.
Let's discuss the colonial implications of cricket.

Okay, perhaps not. Back to work for me.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:52 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by Exile
Let's discuss the colonial implications of cricket.

Okay, perhaps not. Back to work for me.

All anyone needs to know about the cricket is that I have tickets to the test in Sydney. Can't wait.

Toodle pip.