Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:53 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 41
susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough
Default what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

hi

i have this huge list that i am so looking forward to about going back home for good. mainly tesco's and M&S lol. but there are loads and i mean loads of other things as well. on the other hand the only reason i would stay here in france is the price of property and the health service (and not in that order lol). but you do pay hugly for the health service (no probs as far as i'm concerned as you get value for money here).

just wondered what everyone else was looking forward to going home for (i don't mean family freinds etc, the more material things

susi
susiq is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:02 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
pinkpanther's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 133
pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Good question!

I never thought I would say this but the Health service is definately on my list. Had a very bad experience here and it makes the NHS look like the best thing since sliced bread!

I'm definately looking forward to M&S ready meals - the crap I have to cook here is unedible - lol

Shopping for clothes at cheap prices

Just lots and lots of fun really.


Originally Posted by susiq
hi

i have this huge list that i am so looking forward to about going back home for good. mainly tesco's and M&S lol. but there are loads and i mean loads of other things as well. on the other hand the only reason i would stay here in france is the price of property and the health service (and not in that order lol). but you do pay hugly for the health service (no probs as far as i'm concerned as you get value for money here).

just wondered what everyone else was looking forward to going home for (i don't mean family freinds etc, the more material things

susi
pinkpanther is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:08 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
annalooby's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Naaaaaarrrrfuk
Posts: 80
annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Cheesy Wotsits.
annalooby is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:27 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
woodyinoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Home and proud to be British
Posts: 1,035
woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Chocolate and European wines
woodyinoz is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:22 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Always21's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Wales
Posts: 444
Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Another vote for M&S ready meals here! Also Tesco, WHSmith, Boots, Topman, River Island, Next... I could go on but you get the picture. Real town centres (as opposed to a mall called a town centre) goes along with that. Also, flat road surfaces, TV (Freeview!), castles and other history, Monster Munch, cream cakes... so many other random things! Of course, these are all secondary to the non-material reasons to return.
Always21 is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:07 pm
  #6  
long live thefinest range
 
Hayley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Posts: 445
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Great thread- I have some serious some lighthearted...

controversial conversations (politics, religion sex et al) , Pubs (now that they are smoke free I'm in heaven!!) Tesco finest range, British sense of humour (even by random people- I have a memory of standing in line at a football match and a policeman said 'get in the far queue' instantly someone piped up- 'well f**k you too mate.' would NEVER happen in the US- and I can't even explain to anyone here how I find something so scandalous funny!!)

the music (loads of guitar bands) roundabouts (and people who know how to use them) softer grass that doesn't need sprinklers, 50p pieces, strongbow, pickled onions, better education system, less consumerism, less judgement, more diversity, not having to own a car and great trains, people who walk, not having to be perfect, school uniforms, accents all around me,

alcopops, penny sweets, realism on TV, magazines, day trips, Ryan air to Europe, drizzle, not having to live in a climate controlled bubble, greengrocers, Yorkshire pudding, silly headlines in the mirror, football matches, chip butties, not needing to have a personal relationship with wait staff, not offending anyone, living in a house that is reasonably sized instead of 'needing' 2 bathrooms and a playroom for the kids, council tax instead of property tax, no water/sewage/garbage, thatched cottages,

4 weeks holiday at work, christmas, people having access to beta blockers, people saying sorry for no reason at all, sheep in the fields and lambing season, Yorkshire tea, foxes buscuits, organic baby foods (loads of choice) egg and chips, Ribena, swans, the British seaside (English breakfasts made of rock!) joke shops, JD Wetherspoons, fireworks night (Hello- If you have this in Nov it gets dark enough to see the bloody things!!) hedgehogs, cheese and pickle sarnies..

OOH I could go on and on but I won't bore you all!
Hayley is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:22 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Sheer and utter bliss of going clothes shopping, us Girl's love it so dose the OH come to that, but here is a nightmare, I've never had so less to choose from in my closet
britvic is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:52 pm
  #8  
long live thefinest range
 
Hayley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Posts: 445
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Originally Posted by britvic
Sheer and utter bliss of going clothes shopping, us Girl's love it so dose the OH come to that, but here is a nightmare, I've never had so less to choose from in my closet
Most definitely- went on www.next.co.uk and they have their sale on- sigh!
Hayley is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:59 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Originally Posted by Hayley
Most definitely- went on www.next.co.uk and they have their sale on- sigh!
Just dont look, it's too painful
britvic is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:42 pm
  #10  
long live thefinest range
 
Hayley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Posts: 445
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Originally Posted by britvic
Just dont look, it's too painful
You're right. Shoes in my size for 13 pounds! Rip off Britain? I am dubious!
Hayley is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:12 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Innisfil, Ontario
Posts: 161
jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Originally Posted by Hayley
Great thread- I have some serious some lighthearted...

controversial conversations (politics, religion sex et al) , Pubs (now that they are smoke free I'm in heaven!!) Tesco finest range, British sense of humour (even by random people- I have a memory of standing in line at a football match and a policeman said 'get in the far queue' instantly someone piped up- 'well f**k you too mate.' would NEVER happen in the US- and I can't even explain to anyone here how I find something so scandalous funny!!)

the music (loads of guitar bands) roundabouts (and people who know how to use them) softer grass that doesn't need sprinklers, 50p pieces, strongbow, pickled onions, better education system, less consumerism, less judgement, more diversity, not having to own a car and great trains, people who walk, not having to be perfect, school uniforms, accents all around me,

alcopops, penny sweets, realism on TV, magazines, day trips, Ryan air to Europe, drizzle, not having to live in a climate controlled bubble, greengrocers, Yorkshire pudding, silly headlines in the mirror, football matches, chip butties, not needing to have a personal relationship with wait staff, not offending anyone, living in a house that is reasonably sized instead of 'needing' 2 bathrooms and a playroom for the kids, council tax instead of property tax, no water/sewage/garbage, thatched cottages,

4 weeks holiday at work, christmas, people having access to beta blockers, people saying sorry for no reason at all, sheep in the fields and lambing season, Yorkshire tea, foxes buscuits, organic baby foods (loads of choice) egg and chips, Ribena, swans, the British seaside (English breakfasts made of rock!) joke shops, JD Wetherspoons, fireworks night (Hello- If you have this in Nov it gets dark enough to see the bloody things!!) hedgehogs, cheese and pickle sarnies..

OOH I could go on and on but I won't bore you all!
What a staggeringly good post.

I'm so very homesick... If anyone's got Bill Bryson's 'Notes From A Small Island', read the part where he is on the overcliff in Bournemouth, looking out over the nightime lights twinkling down in town and reflecting in the bay... it's quite beautiful and it's my home and what I miss (well that and a million other things).

I'm looking forward to an opportunity to visit and see it all and sample all the things Hayley noted.

Sorry for the moan... not a good day
jonthelad is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:17 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 41
susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

criky, so many things the same lol.

for me its not just m&s and tesco's its the whole food idea. being able to go to any restaurant and able to choose from at least 2 options what i want to eat (i'm vegie), heer in france i may if i ask get a goats cheese salad, then i usually have to pick the bacon off. even though you state very clearly that you dpon't eat meat.

the arrogense of the french. i'm sure there are nice french people, i just have only met 1 family (they live down the road fromme and are lovley, but they love everything about the english the food the people etc, so are angified lol)

for me the others are decent vets. the health system is fab here so can't fault that (mind you you do pay for it).

people that can actually drive and not go out looking to crash their cars. they scare the hell outa me. i have given in riding my horses because its so dangerous here.

just being able to talk to people and understand them without having to think. my french is OK,i can get by and try very hard to mlearn more.

far to many to list

oh, how the next 2 year can't go quickly enough

susi
susiq is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:29 pm
  #13  
long live thefinest range
 
Hayley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Posts: 445
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Originally Posted by jonthelad
What a staggeringly good post.

I'm so very homesick... If anyone's got Bill Bryson's 'Notes From A Small Island', read the part where he is on the overcliff in Bournemouth, looking out over the nightime lights twinkling down in town and reflecting in the bay... it's quite beautiful and it's my home and what I miss (well that and a million other things).

I'm looking forward to an opportunity to visit and see it all and sample all the things Hayley noted.

Sorry for the moan... not a good day
Ta muchly- just finished notes from a small island really helped me feel good about returning home he just has such a talent for mixing the positive and the negative. I'd recommend I'm a stranger here myself too- about living in the US after a 20 year gap. He is now back in Yorkshire- lucky chap!
Hayley is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:25 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Back with the hobbits
Posts: 376
Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

I love BB's books - 'I'm a stranger here myself' is flipping hilarious. I think he actually moved back to Norfolk, some huge pile in the country. Good for him.

And I'm most looking forward to (decent) coffees/drinks with my friends and just loads of people all around me. Lots of friends for my kids and meeting their parents rather than having this drop and run thing that parents here do when they deposit their kids at our house. After 4.5 years of strip mall shopping I'm also looking forward to getting off my fat derriere and doing some walking.
Lizzi is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:11 am
  #15  
Cup of tea, Father?
 
Geordie George's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Underground, overground, wombling free
Posts: 6,895
Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Wensleydale cheese (you can get this in Aus - David Jones sell it - but you pay through the nose).
Finnan haddock.
Chip shop chips, smothered in chip shop curry.
Needing to look out of the window to decide what the weather's going to be doing that day - and deciding to take a brolly in any case, even if it is sunny.
Being able to make homemade mincemeat and pickle onions in autumn, when it's getting cold and dark, knowing that in a few months I'll by enjoying them whilst listening to a howling gale and I'm inside, cosy and warm.
Lock-ins at the pub near my in-laws' place.
Being in Yorkshire - and so close to the Peak District.
Being able to decide to head to Newcastle upon Tyne for a day, on a whim.

(Shopping doesn't really figure in it for me. I'm tall and I find clothes that fit more easily in Aus than I do in the UK. That's one thing I will miss about Aus - amongst many.)
Geordie George is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.