Im glad to be home!

Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:51 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Im glad to be home!

Well we are finally back, after much worrying and stress, and I am SO HAPPY!!! The flight was OK, far too long (we departed at 11.40am and arrived back 6.40am UK time, so about 28 hours). We flew Royal Brunei, service was OK, food was a bit spicy, Brunei Airport could have been cleaner, Dubai Airport was full of strange men sleeping on the floor. We didnt know if we would get the maxi taxi we ordered in Perth to take us to the airport as we were told by the operator that 'the driver doesn't decide if he's taking the job until 5 mins before pick up'.
I picked up something unpleasant on the trip which had me vomiting in Tesco's toilet 5 mins out Heathrow, and I am still having trouble sleeping the right hours, but I AM HAPPY! I have had such fun shopping, it had become a misery shopping in Perth but here it's fabulous. Food in the supermarkets are a lot cheaper for some things than in Aus, overall our shopping bill would be less here. And things come in bigger packets! I used to go through a whole bag of frozen chips or veg every mealtime in Aus because the bags were so small, at least you can buy bulk sizes here.
The traffic seems worse, and driving seems more cut throat, not sure if thats just because its got worse since we left 5 years ago or because I have been spolit by the retarded driving in Perth.
Driving back from Heathrow, and seeing the beautiful trees all different Autumnal colours was fabulous, my kids are just in a constant state of wonder at the moment. I have seen so many great things I want to buy for my house (when I get one, have to sort out a rental soon). I cant get over how friendly people are here, never noticed it before, even passport control at Heathrow was friendly and joking unlike the mini Hitler we had at Perth.
Yes I am glad to be back, I see Britain with more appreciative eyes than I had before, it took living in Perth to make me truly appreciate my friends and family here, and to make me realise that living in the UK is a hell of a lot more fun and interesting and cultured than I ever knew.
Good luck to all those hoping to head back this way, it's so worth it.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im glad to be home!

Originally Posted by cherry6
I cant get over how friendly people are here, never noticed it before, even passport control at Heathrow was friendly and joking unlike the mini Hitler we had at Perth.
Yes I am glad to be back, I see Britain with more appreciative eyes than I had before, it took living in Perth to make me truly appreciate my friends and family here, and to make me realise that living in the UK is a hell of a lot more fun and interesting and cultured than I ever knew.
So good to hear you are so happy I went through passport control at Heathrow a few weeks ago and I know what you mean they actually smile and have a laugh it's a bit of a shock after dealing with Canadians and Americans Anyway good luck and I hope you find a place of your own soon.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear that you are so happy Cherry, must be wonderful to have your family around you

Can you keep the updates coming please?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that you have landed on your feet back home Cherry and that things are looking up for you.

I think you are so right - you can begin to look at UK through appreciative eyes once you have left it and found that the rest of the world is no better and sometimes a whole lot worse!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on being home. I can't wait to visit next summer and soak it all in again.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Well we are finally back, after much worrying and stress, and I am SO HAPPY!!! The flight was OK, far too long (we departed at 11.40am and arrived back 6.40am UK time, so about 28 hours). We flew Royal Brunei, service was OK, food was a bit spicy, Brunei Airport could have been cleaner, Dubai Airport was full of strange men sleeping on the floor. We didnt know if we would get the maxi taxi we ordered in Perth to take us to the airport as we were told by the operator that 'the driver doesn't decide if he's taking the job until 5 mins before pick up'.
I picked up something unpleasant on the trip which had me vomiting in Tesco's toilet 5 mins out Heathrow, and I am still having trouble sleeping the right hours, but I AM HAPPY! I have had such fun shopping, it had become a misery shopping in Perth but here it's fabulous. Food in the supermarkets are a lot cheaper for some things than in Aus, overall our shopping bill would be less here. And things come in bigger packets! I used to go through a whole bag of frozen chips or veg every mealtime in Aus because the bags were so small, at least you can buy bulk sizes here.
The traffic seems worse, and driving seems more cut throat, not sure if thats just because its got worse since we left 5 years ago or because I have been spolit by the retarded driving in Perth.
Driving back from Heathrow, and seeing the beautiful trees all different Autumnal colours was fabulous, my kids are just in a constant state of wonder at the moment. I have seen so many great things I want to buy for my house (when I get one, have to sort out a rental soon). I cant get over how friendly people are here, never noticed it before, even passport control at Heathrow was friendly and joking unlike the mini Hitler we had at Perth.
Brilliant your post sounds like something i could have wrote.
We are flying with Royal Brunei on 11th Jan. We booked with them as it was cheaper than all the rest. I don't mind spicy food either.

Keep us up to date, glad you are happy
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:39 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

We're heading home on 7th January with Singapore Airlines as we always seem to get a decent flight with them.

Where are you all heading too? We're moving to a completely new place - Exeter so hope we like it there! It looks great there though.

Looking at houses over the internet and ordered our car. Just need to find a house to buy, get children in schools, find jobs!! Not much to do really!!

Know it will be a stressfull few months or more but we don't care as long as we are home!!

Last edited by deborahjane; Nov 2nd 2008 at 2:40 am. Reason: put words in wrong place
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:10 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cherry6;6931262]Well we are finally back, after much worrying and stress, and I am SO HAPPY!!! QUOTE]

I know exactly how you feel...........I'll never, ever, take this country for granted again. Welcome Home!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone! Just to make you all jealous, went shopping today (yes on a Sunday!!! One thing I couldnt do in Perth!). Went to a huge Tesco in Peterborough, so many buy 1 get 1 frees, stuff on special, it was great. They had half price box of chocs as well so got a few for Xmas. I bought Jaffa Cakes as well, which I love. The Tescos was in a shopping centre which also had a big clothing store which had Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Principles, Miss Selfridge, Topshop, Topman all in together, plus there was also a Next, Gap, WHSmith, Boots, Bay Trading, New Look in the centre as well. It was great! There is plenty of bargains in the sales.
My mum has said gas and electricity in the UK has pretty much doubled in price in the last few years, so thats a bit of a negative point, but then again they were talking about putting the prices up in Perth as well. Breakfast in Tescos is still reasonable though!
Am currently staying with family near Peterborough, whilst my OH attends job interviews. We are looking at moving somewhere in the Midlands, have seen a house we like to rent on the net so will chase that up next week. My husband bought a car, a Vauxhall Calibra N reg for £1200, I am now looking for a cheap motor to do me for now.
Just to add, bacon tastes great here! Compared to the plastic anaemic looking rubbish they have in Aus.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:42 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Agree with you on that, I am in perth and I am so looking forward to next year when I go home.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:44 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Thanks everyone! Just to make you all jealous, went shopping today (yes on a Sunday!!! One thing I couldnt do in Perth!). Went to a huge Tesco in Peterborough, so many buy 1 get 1 frees, stuff on special, it was great. They had half price box of chocs as well so got a few for Xmas. I bought Jaffa Cakes as well, which I love. The Tescos was in a shopping centre which also had a big clothing store which had Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Principles, Miss Selfridge, Topshop, Topman all in together, plus there was also a Next, Gap, WHSmith, Boots, Bay Trading, New Look in the centre as well. It was great! There is plenty of bargains in the sales.
My mum has said gas and electricity in the UK has pretty much doubled in price in the last few years, so thats a bit of a negative point, but then again they were talking about putting the prices up in Perth as well. Breakfast in Tescos is still reasonable though!
Am currently staying with family near Peterborough, whilst my OH attends job interviews. We are looking at moving somewhere in the Midlands, have seen a house we like to rent on the net so will chase that up next week. My husband bought a car, a Vauxhall Calibra N reg for £1200, I am now looking for a cheap motor to do me for now.
Just to add, bacon tastes great here! Compared to the plastic anaemic looking rubbish they have in Aus.
If possible please look at my area "the cotswolds" you have gone back at a great time for buying a house.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I've just sat hear and read with envy your post about shopping, both food and other stores.....I'm jealous!!

I know you're comparing what you left behind in Perth, and I'm in Canada, but they are still the same comparisons for me! Bacon here is all fatty streaky or "back bacon" is literally the round that looks pale and plastic. Buy-one-Get-one-Frees....now them I do miss! Over here you get buy one get one half off and that's it! I bet it's so exciting being there now with all the Christmas stuff coming onto the shelves
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Hampton. My old stomping ground, I lived in Sawtry down the A1 a bit. Fantastic place for shopping without going into Queensgate.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Sounds like Hampton. My old stomping ground, I lived in Sawtry down the A1 a bit. Fantastic place for shopping without going into Queensgate.
I'm sure its Hampton, used to live in Hampton, so know it well. I think it was the biggest Tesco's in the country when it first opened about 5 years ago.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:52 pm
Wishing on a star...

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
I'm sure its Hampton, used to live in Hampton, so know it well. I think it was the biggest Tesco's in the country when it first opened about 5 years ago.
Yes it was Hampton. Went to Kings Lynn today, wouldnt personally want to live there but it had loads of shops. Bought a few bits from TK Maxx. Christmas stuff is starting to come out in the shops. We are going to a Victorian Christmas Market in Lincoln in December, and a fireworks night do at a pub on Wednesday. There is so much more to do here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.