Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ID Card Register - put you off coming home?

ID Card Register - put you off coming home?

Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ID Card Register - put you off coming home?

But what is the practical point of ID Cards?

From the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7301424.stm

Unite's airport workers officer Steve Turner says:
"We are not opposed to improved security, but we see no measure in the identity cards that will improve security. People are insulted over this. What does it say about aviation workers that they have been chosen to pilot this scheme?"
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The British Govt. are too incompetent to implement this properly, it will never happen. They couldn't organise a gang bang in a whorehouse let alone a complex project like this.

It will never happen in Australia either because the Aussies wouldn't stand for it.

It's an outrage, whoever had this marvellous idea wants shooting.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
The British Govt. are too incompetent to implement this properly, it will never happen. They couldn't organise a gang bang in a whorehouse let alone a complex project like this.

It will never happen in Australia either because the Aussies wouldn't stand for it.

What!!! a gang bang in a whorehouse an outrage

I bet you'd be the first in the queue.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about

Im another one who thinks ID cards a good idea
You won't be voting Liberal Democrat then:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/noidcards/
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

A really excellent No2ID pop video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HsnIGuHQQ

It had me in stitches.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:18 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

what a crock. All the Aussies stood up in the 80s and said 'NO ID CARDS' , then turned around and let the Gov bring in photo driving licences (I was here, unlike you blow in Godzoners).

Antipodean stupidity at its best.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
photo driving licences
Not quite the same thing though is it?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:49 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldnt stop me from returning to the uk as i think it is a world wide phenomenon and all western countries will bring it in .
I am not in favour of more government control of its citizens and lets face it that is what it is all about .I dont think there is any of us here that hasnt done somthing a bit dodgy even if its only bringing in a bit of baccy from france or driving the car without insurance or tax for a couple of days .
I think with the increased surveillance in the uk it has created a dob in society and as far as im concerned im not going to help the authorities any more than i need too to help control us all .
Civil rights are a fundamental part of a healthy society and there is certainly issues in the uk in regards to civil rights and knowing the youth they will knock at it harder than any of us did when we was kids .I forcast the more control there will be more petty crime and more unnecessary winding up of the cops by the youngs uns and while the cops chase the young ones keep the cops busy in thie pandas the real crims will already know how to beat the system .
In regards to protecting us from terrorism,it doesnt make any difference how many cards or cameras the goverment introduces it wont stop a suicide bomber .
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:58 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not quite the same thing though is it?
can't see much difference at all. If a cop here asks you for ID what's the first thing you show them? Couple that with the electronic Medicare card and voila.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:14 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
can't see much difference at all. If a cop here asks you for ID what's the first thing you show them? Couple that with the electronic Medicare card and voila.
I have to agree with you Triboy ,there isnt any difference and really see the sense in more crap in our wallets .
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

I dont agree with this at all.
What about abused wives/children that are in hiding, or people with stalkers?

Any information stored like that is accessable one way or the other to anyone. What happens next time they mail it out and loose it, like they did with the child benefit?

Its not as simple as "having nothing to hide" for everyone.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I am in favor of ID cards to an extent, although I can see how there is suspicion over how some of the data would be treated, especially with regards to the child one. It wouldn't stop me from moving somewhere.
But I think a lot of people are in denial - firstly about how much they are already tracked and secondly about how much ID cards will do to cut crime. If you pay with a card you are already giving someone details about where and when you shop and what you buy. If you drive a car on any road with a camera it's the same.
And there are already systems in place to stop people being able to claim benefits without being entitled or to stop people getting NHS treatment they are not entitled to. But plenty of people already find ways to get around these systems and I don't doubt that they will find ways to get around any new system. If anything I think it may increase crime as more people find themselves having to go 'underground'. Only time will tell.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:11 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
I dont agree with this at all.
What about abused wives/children that are in hiding, or people with stalkers?

Any information stored like that is accessable one way or the other to anyone. What happens next time they mail it out and loose it, like they did with the child benefit?

Its not as simple as "having nothing to hide" for everyone.
Yes i agree anywhere huge data bases are kept criminals will have access to it .
Its already happened here in west australia when a well know bikie group here had access to all the records for car number plates and could easily track there targets via this route .
These guys arnt the most suttle of criminals so if they can do it ,it wouldnt be a problem for albanian and russian mobsters etc.Information is money .
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
if you've got nothing to hide then no probs.
This is not a good argument, for the main reason that you don't even know if you have nothing to hide or not. You might do something today that doesn't need to be hidden, but then the next government decides it's illegal, enacts some retrospective legislation and suddenly you've got something to hide.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people (generally, TruBrit, not you) support this project. First, it will in no way, shape or form help fight terrorism at all, ever, in any way, no debate. Second, the only nations that have proper national ID databases were all at some point in their pasts fascist or totalitarian states. Does this not tell you something?

The ID card is not a piece of plastic. The ID card represents a change in your relationship to the state. In a free country, the state must prove to you its right to exist, in a country where citizens are forced to carry identity papers, you must prove your right to exist to the state. Anyone who cannot see the significance of this, frankly, does not deserve to live in a democracy.

Sooner than you think, your ID card will be your credit and payment card. The government of the day will give you an allowance of 50 credits to buy booze. Oh dear, sorry, you've bought all the beer you're allowed this week! Sorry sir, you can't telephone that number on this ID card because it's been blocked. You've used up your petrol quota I notice. I see you went to Paris last week - they were the last of your air credits.

I am grateful the ALP have canned the Access Card. I cannot for the life of me imagine why though. Surely they're up to something?

I must add in edit that I have often wondered how the German people - an advanced and technological civilisation allowed Nazism and fascism to rise in their own country without, apparently, noticing it. How did this happen? Reading certain comments on here and other forums have enlightened me somewhat however, as to how the state can expand so far without the masses noticing it.

Last edited by Tableland; Apr 2nd 2008 at 10:36 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Personally, i think it is the greatest fraud deterrent yet. No one can steal yours eyes or fingerprints.
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.