Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'am Here ! Back in the UK !!

I'am Here ! Back in the UK !!

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default I'am Here ! Back in the UK !!

Hiya there folks!!! God I have missed you all (well some of you anyway!! lol)

Adelaide.... Fantastic, well compared to Perth anyway!! Proper pavements, houses with character, pubs, and a good city centre. Made me wonder slightly (only slightly) why we ever chose Perth!!!??? For all those thinking of Perth, dont do it till you've seen Adelaide!! Oh and cheaper than Perth by far, eating out especially.

Sydney.... Hubby climed the bridge which he sadi was excellent. We found that Sydney was hard going after being in Perth for 15 months. it's very busy, noisy and dirty. I suppose your average city after all. Good to see the sites but definitely NOT for living, city area anyway. Bondi was ok but nothing to write home about (sorry Bondipom!) lovely clear sea and the beach was clean (after they dragged throught it with a tractor?) but I've seen nicer beaches in the Uk and far nicer beaches in Perth.

Vancouver....Brilliant, almost back to reality from living in Perth! Shops open till 11pm, loads cheaper than W.A. More variety, but loads of beggers!? The mountains were beautiful and Whistler was excellent. Seattle was a bit strange, nothing really to see except more beggers. Felt a bit out of our depth on some of the street, rather intimidating at times.

THE UK!!!!!.... Nice sunny day when we landed, lovely reunion with my family. It's 'home' that we've come back to. Everything still feels a bit strange as I'am sure it's bound to. Not strange because it doesn't feel right but everything seems smaller and everything appears to be overgrown!?? Gardens and road sides etc?

Took a trip to Adsa today and was very suprised at the prices, £2.50 for t shirts and £5 for trainers for kids. Bargains compared to the prices of Perth and better quality too. Everything seems cheaper (?) except the houses!!

Staying with my parents and looking for a car at the moment.

Weather not been to bad, look it's the UK, I know all about the weather, it's not important. What is important is being happy. Our daughter is in her element at being back, she's happier already! Forcast for Monday is 28c (!)

It's early days but I know I won't miss the 43c heat, the total isolation and boredom of being alone from 8.30am till 2.30pm everyday, the fact that I didn't have a job, the expense of everything, the cold winters in a home with no heating.

I'll keep you posted with my progress up the high ladder of starting all over again!!!!:scared:

Hi Pants, It was lovely to meet you, you and hubby are ace, little one is a beauty!!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:20 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: I'am Here ! Back in the UK !!

Originally posted by janeyray

Adelaide.... Fantastic, well compared to Perth anyway!! Proper pavements, houses with character, pubs, and a good city centre. Made me wonder slightly (only slightly) why we ever chose Perth!!!??? For all those thinking of Perth, dont do it till you've seen Adelaide!! Oh and cheaper than Perth by far, eating out especially.

Sydney.... Hubby climed the bridge which he sadi was excellent. We found that Sydney was hard going after being in Perth for 15 months. it's very busy, noisy and dirty. I suppose your average city after all. Good to see the sites but definitely NOT for living, city area anyway. Bondi was ok but nothing to write home about (sorry Bondipom!) lovely clear sea and the beach was clean (after they dragged throught it with a tractor?) but I've seen nicer beaches in the Uk and far nicer beaches in Perth.

Vancouver....Brilliant, almost back to reality from living in Perth! Shops open till 11pm, loads cheaper than W.A. More variety, but loads of beggers!? The mountains were beautiful and Whistler was excellent. Seattle was a bit strange, nothing really to see except more beggers. Felt a bit out of our depth on some of the street, rather intimidating at times.

THE UK!!!!!.... Nice sunny day when we landed, lovely reunion with my family. It's 'home' that we've come back to. Everything still feels a bit strange as I'am sure it's bound to. Not strange because it doesn't feel right but everything seems smaller and everything appears to be overgrown!?? Gardens and road sides etc?

Took a trip to Adsa today and was very suprised at the prices, £2.50 for t shirts and £5 for trainers for kids. Bargains compared to the prices of Perth and better quality too. Everything seems cheaper (?) except the houses!!

Weather not been to bad, look it's the UK, I know all about the weather, it's not important. What is important is being happy. Our daughter is in her element at being back, she's happier already! Forcast for Monday is 28c (!)

It's early days but I know I won't miss the 43c heat, the total isolation and boredom of being alone from 8.30am till 2.30pm everyday, the fact that I didn't have a job, the expense of everything, the cold winters in a home with no heating.

I'll keep you posted with my progress up the high ladder of starting all over again!!!!:scared:

Hi Pants, It was lovely to meet you, you and hubby are ace, little one is a beauty!!

Janeyray,

Let me be the first (of many I am sure) to welcome you home. You sound as if you have had a good trip back, if not a little eye opening. Good luck with your lives back home I am sure you will never regret it. Keep us posted.

Susan
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:25 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

For my dear Mate Janeyray

Welcome home ....it only feels like yesterday that I saw you all.
God its gone quick....so happy for you all. Felt like we had known each other for ages!!Great meeting you all.

Well hunny I will write more to you via email.

Lotsa hugs
P xx
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:07 am
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

It sounds to me as if you are seeing England through "new" eyes! How sad that you had to go to the end of the world to appreciate what you laready had!!!! Would you have packed up lock stock and barrel to have gone to for example Scotland or Spain without actually doing some research first of all...or at least making a few visits. While I sympathise that thing didn't work out you also have some responsibility for that!!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

It's not until you've lived the life that everything becomes apparent. Even if you've visited (which Janeyray may well have done) you don't know how the homesickness will affect you, you don't know how long you will be out of work and how this will affect your life etc. When you're visiting you're still in holiday mode. You don't notice everything, you may see things but not realise how they will affect you when you live with them on a day to day basis.

Yes, visit to find out if you think it's for you, but in the end the only real way is to make the move & see for yourself.
Janeyray did that, she and her family decided it wasn't for them & have gone back, they've been through a lot and lets hope things come right for them now.

Good luck Janeyray!

Loopy
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Good on yer, JR, & good luck. So glad you had such a great trip home.

ENJOY

B
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Hi mrs,

Glad you enjoyed the trip home, Vancouver is great isnt it, but have to agree North America has the hugest amount of beggars they dont give away the whacking great dole payments OZ does, dont think many in Canada spend 3 generations on welfare and have boats and cars and houses on it.

Adelaide would that have been for you tho:scared: summer temps are pretty damn high mid 40's, unemployment probably same as perth so dont have any regrets.

Been watching the housing market here myself, (no husband no business I have the time ) couple of points
1. Check out how many leaving the UK are having trouble selling.
2. Check out findaproperty.co.uk lisitings have been rising by 1000 a day since 4th? interest rate rise.
3.Check out how many contracts are collapsing as people wonder if they paid too much.
4. Check out how many houses have been on the market for 7+ months, I've looked at plenty.

Dont panic at prices I think a little haggling will be on the cards soon. (all I have bought so far is my mum and dads very unmodernised house, unmodernised for about 80 years ) they wanted out far too much work but hey it gives me a interest

Enjoy your family, enjoy summer, and keep us posted.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cdandi
It sounds to me as if you are seeing England through "new" eyes! How sad that you had to go to the end of the world to appreciate what you laready had!!!! Would you have packed up lock stock and barrel to have gone to for example Scotland or Spain without actually doing some research first of all...or at least making a few visits. While I sympathise that thing didn't work out you also have some responsibility for that!!
Like most of us, the old phrase "you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone" is apt.

I find your final sentence somewhat strange - in her post janeyray isn't looking for sympathy - she wants to share her thoughts.

More importantly, Janeyray, welcome back to the land of the living!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Hi Jane !!!

Glad you are all back safe and sound. What a great adventure you've had.

You're not missing much in Perth, temperatures have dropped and it's been raining for the past week!

Also don't rush into the house buying, I think Dotty is right about the market, I've noticed properties where we used to live (Dorset) now coming down in price!

Keep in touch.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Janeray, welcome home

It's good to hear from you. Your trip back sounds fantastic....and home just in time to catch some glorious rays here.

How are you coping with daylight till gone 10pm???!!! A bit strange after Perth no doubt!

Well, it's been quiet on the board these last few days, hasn't it people , so it's good to have you back on board!

Take care
HP
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough

Hello Janey, well youve done it now!!! All those months of waiting & planning are behind you now & another chapter begins......

It will take a few weeks for things to settle down so take your time with houses if you can, its all starting to slow down now. Up here in the north west loads of houses are under offer but no one can sell their houses to buy another so its good to sit back & wait a while longer.

Enjoy your life again Janey & keep us posted with your updates!

angelica x
Old Jun 13th 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

cdandi...you might want to post this on the Oz/NZ forum....it's a bit lost on people who have already gone and come back!!!

As already mentioned, no amount of research can prepare you for actually living it....surely you can appreciate that (you seem to have moved about a fair bit)?

Why do you assume Janeray did no research before moving overseas
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I just ask whether you have done what Janeyray has done? It can be difficult to convey what you mean by a post to a forum, but I'm afraid your post does come across as a bit "you were very silly"...

As many others have already said, you have to live it to experience it. No amount of "holidays" can prepare you for actually living in another country and integrating into another culture....
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:47 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Maybe unlike you I have seen both sides of the coin? I don't see the UK through 'new eyes', just really appreciating things around me more rather than taking everything for granted as a lot of us do when we've never lived anywhere else bofore.

I certainly don't think it 'sad' that we went to Oz to realise that the UK is our home, we've had a great adventure and seen parts of the world we may never have seen.

You don't know me, so how can you 'presume' that we went to OZ without reasearch and much diliberation? Can I just explain to you that no amount of visiting or research can prepare you for homesickness, isolation or what it feels like to not be able to get employment.

Thanks for you sympathy but it's not needed, we aren't sorry we went, we haven't failed. We've come out this end better people and with more confidence to have more success in the things we do here. Of course it was our choice to go to OZ and it was our choice to return.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe unlike you I have seen both sides of the coin? I don't see the UK through 'new eyes', just really appreciating things around me more rather than taking everything for granted as a lot of us do when we've never lived anywhere else bofore.

I certainly don't think it 'sad' that we went to Oz to realise that the UK is our home, we've had a great adventure and seen parts of the world we may never have seen.

You don't know me, so how can you 'presume' that we went to OZ without reasearch and much diliberation? Can I just explain to you that no amount of visiting or research can prepare you for homesickness, isolation or what it feels like to not be able to get employment.

Thanks for you sympathy but it's not needed, we aren't sorry we went, we haven't failed. We've come out this end better people and with more confidence to have more success in the things we do here. Of course it was our choice to go to OZ and it was our choice to return.

well said JR!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.