Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Scrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really nice
Default Re: I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Hi there This is my first foray onto this forum and was just having a 'nosey' really, no intention of posting, but this post struck a cord with me.

I am in a similar (though totally different situation) I'm a Brit, hubby US military, we have moved around all over for the last 22 years, we have had lots of separations during our marriage too, because of his career.

Now he is retired, but still works for the Gov't, we were living in Colorado after renting out our home in Illinois, I loved our home in IL, had the best friends and neighbours ever, but hubbys job moved, so we did too. After 18 months in CO, I couldn't stand it any longer, our 15 yr old Son was missing his old school/friends etc in IL too and really wanted to come 'home'.

In December last year we made the difficult (but seemingly sensible) choice for my Son and I to move back to IL, we rented for the first 6 months as our house was still rented out, I was thrilled to be back, so was our Son, at first.
Pretty soon, I realised that things had changed during our absence, my friends had moved on (although we spoke regularly from CO) they mostly had gotten closer to other friends and I felt left out. My Sons friends had too, he found that he couldn't just move back into his group of friends and started to feel a bit lonely.

I missed my hubby desperately! We moved back into our home in May, next door to my best friend, it has been really awkward for me, I'm not working, which doesn't help, my Son isn't happy in his old school and his usually 'honor roll' grades are starting to slip! All in all, we are both pretty miserable.

We heard recently, that hubby's job is probably being phased out, instead of being worried, I am actually getting excited about his having to move, we have decided that wherever he goes next, we are going too! Hopefully soon

I just wanted to say, think really hard before you make the move away from your hubby, I'm sure you know what you are doing, I thought I did too. It's not always a good idea to 'go back' wherever back is. If you are still determined to go, I hope you have family support there and are prepared for things to be different from when you left!
Good Luck
Im on here cos i'm married to an australian man but the marriage is heading for the divorce courts, and then i have to decide whether being lonely in australia is better than being lonely at home. Someone told me today at least i would be lonely in the sun, which was so stupid, fancy staying here just cos its sunny. Maybe some people do, but i couldnt be one of them.
all his family are here but they will all be on his side, and i think a lot of my friends will think the same way and think i'm silly to be leaving him. But if i went back home i don't know if my friends there would welcome me back. Horrible position to be in. i usually post in the australia forum bit, but so many people in this uk bit seem to have the same problems as me over moving back and being married to someone who isnt British so I think i should come in here more often, even if i don't go home in the end.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

Originally Posted by Scrundlebunny
Im on here cos i'm married to an australian man but the marriage is heading for the divorce courts, and then i have to decide whether being lonely in australia is better than being lonely at home. Someone told me today at least i would be lonely in the sun, which was so stupid, fancy staying here just cos its sunny. Maybe some people do, but i couldnt be one of them.
all his family are here but they will all be on his side, and i think a lot of my friends will think the same way and think i'm silly to be leaving him. But if i went back home i don't know if my friends there would welcome me back. Horrible position to be in. i usually post in the australia forum bit, but so many people in this uk bit seem to have the same problems as me over moving back and being married to someone who isnt British so I think i should come in here more often, even if i don't go home in the end.
I dont have the problem of the divorce bit but I am the English half of an Aussie/UK marriage. In your position I would be gone back to my family and my support network. I know that my friends would still be there for me if I needed them, even after 30 years away. I must say that there are times when being part of a mixed marriage can be incredibly difficult - over and above a non mixed one I mean, especially when you are the alien in a strange land!

I guess it all depends on how big your support network is here - and how close you are physically to most of his mob. I think it would be horrible to live in a smallish place where everyone knew him and thought you were the wicked witch of the west for dumping such a bonzer bloke - if that is what you have there, then could you move and really strike out for yourself?

Looks like you have one of those rock and hard place decisions to make! Have you thought about either taking a holiday back home just to see how the land lies there or inviting a stalwart mum, sister or friend to come and support you for a month or so while you get your feet on the ground about making a move?

{{{hugs}}} hope it works out well for you