Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

Old Jun 28th 2009, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to Hear your story.... How did you end up on MBTTUK?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well i am glad to see you. Missed you xx
Aww thanks Flea! Missed you too. How's things? x
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Someone who should have known better!
However its Nice to see your smiling face
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
However its Nice to see your smiling face
Thanks JNR!!! How are you my dear?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks JNR!!! How are you my dear?
Hey hello you. Can't keep away uh!!

See you're still in Brissy then? i'm back in UK now, it's bloody red hot here, think i brought the sun back haha.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:51 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Aww thanks Flea! Missed you too. How's things? x
Oh you know me.. one drama after another
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Someone who should have known better!
Good to see you back Rabs! How've you been?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Oh you know me.. one drama after another
Haha, sounds just like me!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
Good to see you back Rabs! How've you been?
Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hey hello you. Can't keep away uh!!

See you're still in Brissy then? i'm back in UK now, it's bloody red hot here, think i brought the sun back haha.
Hi Quoll, Hi NuShooz

Thank you

All good in the land of Rabs thank you. I've just managed to get another semester under my belt - phew! I'm working now as a research assistant in the Psych Department at uni so with study as well it's keeping me out of mischief lol!

We took a long weekend trip to Melbourne about a month ago and I totally fell in love with the place. It really opened my eyes to the fact that not everywhere in Aus is like Qld and there is some culture in Aus! I had been before but only on business so had not really seen the place. It kind of took the pressure off as I know I can pop down there for the weekend for my fix of sanity.

With all of the above I haven't been homesick at all. But as we all know, it comes and goes in waves. Besides, I am off again for three weeks in early July for my mum's birthday. Was only there at Xmas time and I'm back again next year for my sister's wedding so I'm getting plenty of family and Blighty fix.

How have you settled back in in UK NuShooz? And how are you Quoll? Any chance of dragging OH back there or are things all good in Canberra?

OP - sorry for the hijack.

Rab x
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

I ended up here because my australian dream turned into a nightmare, when I fight for my licences, to get a simply job in Oz. Now I warn everyone to not to come to Oz, because this country milks money out of naive migrants, putting their occupations on MODL or critical skills list, cheating them these occupations are in very high demand in Oz, it is a big australian con, very skilled professionals are jobless in this country for months, forced to get australian licences what is not cheap and time consuming. When i compare my life in the UK and in Oz, in the UK I had enough money to spend nice holidays in Egypt, Spain, Malaysia, China, wherever i wanted, I had never problems to find a job, in Oz i have nothing, and met many skilled migrants doing crap jobs for long time. I miss my life in the UK.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi Quoll, Hi NuShooz

Thank you

All good in the land of Rabs thank you. I've just managed to get another semester under my belt - phew! I'm working now as a research assistant in the Psych Department at uni so with study as well it's keeping me out of mischief lol!

We took a long weekend trip to Melbourne about a month ago and I totally fell in love with the place. It really opened my eyes to the fact that not everywhere in Aus is like Qld and there is some culture in Aus! I had been before but only on business so had not really seen the place. It kind of took the pressure off as I know I can pop down there for the weekend for my fix of sanity.

With all of the above I haven't been homesick at all. But as we all know, it comes and goes in waves. Besides, I am off again for three weeks in early July for my mum's birthday. Was only there at Xmas time and I'm back again next year for my sister's wedding so I'm getting plenty of family and Blighty fix.

How have you settled back in in UK NuShooz? And how are you Quoll? Any chance of dragging OH back there or are things all good in Canberra?

OP - sorry for the hijack.

Rab x
Hi Rabs
Yeah life is good, we are all very happy to be home. Don't know how i managed to stay in OZ so long, but it's all a big blur now.
The weather here is so hot which is unusual lol.....everyone saying it's so hot and to be warned about the heatwave....but we been there and done all this hot stuff so it's no big deal, piece of cake.

Glad things are going well for you Rab, keep yourself busy and things will only get better, good on you
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
I realise that you've all probably said it all before and it exists somewhere in the bowels of this forum, but, I'd really like to hear everyone's story, Please!

This is mine.
Even though I've not gone back yet, I know that it WILL happen I think that it's been a toughie for us because 9 months in there's still no work for hubby. My contract ends soon and I've got nothing coming up. We've spent such a large chunk of money on the visa and getting here, I feel that I just can't sit here and watch the rest of our life savings disappear until we've nothing left and no way to get back out of this situation we find ourselves in.

Hubby convinced himself that the recession isn't as bad here as it is in the UK and yet was offered work back there and not here, in spite of applying for 100's of jobs, without even getting an interview... the only work he did since arriving was being a steward for 3 days at Clipsal in the summer not exactly skilled work!
Perhaps I would feel differently if We'd both found work, who knows?

So now we are a family divided by 12,000 miles as he works in the UK and I stay here, which doesn't make me a happy bunny AT ALL!

I felt a bit homesick before, but now it is becoming all consuming.... I confess, I've had the dog rabies vaccinated (just in case ) and it's taking a lot of self control NOT to start packing up the house!!
Unhappiness and feeling trapped . A thought it would be a good release valve for spouting humour and frustration about Aus.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=alipally;7697208]I realise that you've all probably said it all before and it exists somewhere in the bowels of this forum, but, I'd really like to hear everyone's story, Please!

In 2004, feeling in need of a change and after several great holidays in Australia, my OH and I decided that we would apply for a visa before it was too late. Fast forward to 2005, visas granted and validated; skip to 2006 when we packed up and moved down under with a view to trying it out for a year.....That was our first mistake as we have found it harder to make a decision about going back than the decision to try life in Oz in the first place, even though we still have our house in London to go back to. I think part of the problem is that we have three children and, having turned their worlds upside down once, we don't want to disrupt them unnecessarily a second time.

Over the last three years or so, we've had some ups and downs (mostly about missing people), but lots of great experiences too. However, I now feel that I'm ready to move back to the UK (or perhaps move on to somewhere new that isn't quite so remote from the rest of the world), but our oldest is in year 11 so we have committed to staying here until he finishes school and having made that decision, I now feel the need to read about other people's experiences of returning to the UK as I have no prospect of doing the same (apart from a holiday) until December 2010.

I miss lots of things about the UK - my family and friends, my house, my old job, the opportunities for travel, theatre and concerts ......too many things to mention really. We had a very comfortable life there, but we wanted to try out something new and I'm glad we have, but now I think it is probably time to move on again. The problem is what to do next.

At some point we will have to make a firm decision, but for the moment procrastination (and browsing BE) are keeping me far too busy to think that far ahead!

Last edited by Famous 5; Jul 5th 2009 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:44 am
Just Joined

sidneyowes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1again
My story is too long and boring to recite but I am going home after being here in Australia for almost 6 years. Not by choice but circumstances. I am very happy to be returning.

Can I ask, what is stopping you from returning back to the UK?
We have been living in New Zealand for four years and have kept saying "when we get our house, or better job etc. everything will be better." But it's a feeling that won't go away, that we just don't belong here. We have thought about moving towns here and even giving Oz a go, but a lightbulb has gone on recently and it's more about us, not the place. We live in a beautiful place and I am happy with the children's school, but I know our future is not here. It's so hard to pinpoint what the problem is (oh apart from wages! but we even accept that now) I think we just need to be at home. It's that familiarity and history that you just can't deny and grandparents for our kids. It makes me feel happier reading these threads as I realise we are not alone in what we are doing and we're not just moaners who want it all! It's a feeling isn't it and we can look at it as an adventure!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sidneyowes
We have been living in New Zealand for four years and have kept saying "when we get our house, or better job etc. everything will be better." But it's a feeling that won't go away, that we just don't belong here. We have thought about moving towns here and even giving Oz a go, but a lightbulb has gone on recently and it's more about us, not the place. We live in a beautiful place and I am happy with the children's school, but I know our future is not here. It's so hard to pinpoint what the problem is (oh apart from wages! but we even accept that now) I think we just need to be at home. It's that familiarity and history that you just can't deny and grandparents for our kids. It makes me feel happier reading these threads as I realise we are not alone in what we are doing and we're not just moaners who want it all! It's a feeling isn't it and we can look at it as an adventure!
Ok here's mine, i moved from Glasgow to Ireland with my irish husband 5 years ago, after taking about 2 years to stop feeling everyday like I wanted to go home, despite having worked all over europe and living a year down south I just couldn't settle, but eventually I did, started a business, bought a lovely house in the countryside, had cats and dogs and generally settled in very well to the country life, bombshell of a recession hit and we moved to Abu Dhabi, he has a fab job here although we had tough times and redundancy to deal with after only 3 months he persevered and truly believed we could make a go of it here, i feel like i've stepped back into 1973 queue episode of life on mars and that I hope to wake up from my coma any time soon, it's not that I'm craving cans of irn bru or sausage suppers, i haven't had them for a long time, but some part of me feels that I've just been away too long, I've tried, and I've tried really hard to be happy because it would be good for him for me to be happy here but we've reached the decision that hard as the long distance thing will be it will be better for me to go home than me staying in this place, career wise for me it's a time warp and there would be nothing of any value for me here.

Sorry for the long story
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Ok here's mine, i moved from Glasgow to Ireland with my irish husband 5 years ago, after taking about 2 years to stop feeling everyday like I wanted to go home, despite having worked all over europe and living a year down south I just couldn't settle, but eventually I did, started a business, bought a lovely house in the countryside, had cats and dogs and generally settled in very well to the country life, bombshell of a recession hit and we moved to Abu Dhabi, he has a fab job here although we had tough times and redundancy to deal with after only 3 months he persevered and truly believed we could make a go of it here, i feel like i've stepped back into 1973 queue episode of life on mars and that I hope to wake up from my coma any time soon, it's not that I'm craving cans of irn bru or sausage suppers, i haven't had them for a long time, but some part of me feels that I've just been away too long, I've tried, and I've tried really hard to be happy because it would be good for him for me to be happy here but we've reached the decision that hard as the long distance thing will be it will be better for me to go home than me staying in this place, career wise for me it's a time warp and there would be nothing of any value for me here.

Sorry for the long story

Hi there This is my first foray onto this forum and was just having a 'nosey' really, no intention of posting, but this post struck a cord with me.

I am in a similar (though totally different situation) I'm a Brit, hubby US military, we have moved around all over for the last 22 years, we have had lots of separations during our marriage too, because of his career.

Now he is retired, but still works for the Gov't, we were living in Colorado after renting out our home in Illinois, I loved our home in IL, had the best friends and neighbours ever, but hubbys job moved, so we did too. After 18 months in CO, I couldn't stand it any longer, our 15 yr old Son was missing his old school/friends etc in IL too and really wanted to come 'home'.

In December last year we made the difficult (but seemingly sensible) choice for my Son and I to move back to IL, we rented for the first 6 months as our house was still rented out, I was thrilled to be back, so was our Son, at first.
Pretty soon, I realised that things had changed during our absence, my friends had moved on (although we spoke regularly from CO) they mostly had gotten closer to other friends and I felt left out. My Sons friends had too, he found that he couldn't just move back into his group of friends and started to feel a bit lonely.

I missed my hubby desperately! We moved back into our home in May, next door to my best friend, it has been really awkward for me, I'm not working, which doesn't help, my Son isn't happy in his old school and his usually 'honor roll' grades are starting to slip! All in all, we are both pretty miserable.

We heard recently, that hubby's job is probably being phased out, instead of being worried, I am actually getting excited about his having to move, we have decided that wherever he goes next, we are going too! Hopefully soon

I just wanted to say, think really hard before you make the move away from your hubby, I'm sure you know what you are doing, I thought I did too. It's not always a good idea to 'go back' wherever back is. If you are still determined to go, I hope you have family support there and are prepared for things to be different from when you left!
Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.