Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I want to go home, but been told I can't

Wikiposts

I want to go home, but been told I can't

Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:27 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to go home, but been told I can't

[B]Really horrible situation. I feel for you.

Perhaps there is also a lesson to be learnt here by expats in your situation. Often it's better to explain fully why all the assessments are going ahead. By letting the child know what you are planning and helping them to get used to the idea, it may have altered the answer to the question of whether or not she wanted to move to the UK.

This isn't a critism, I completely understand your desire to protect your child, but if you'd known that this was going to be discussed at the assessments, I'm sure that you would have broached the subject long before with your daughter.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:09 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to go home, but been told I can't

Originally Posted by alipally
[B]Really horrible situation. I feel for you.

Perhaps there is also a lesson to be learnt here by expats in your situation. Often it's better to explain fully why all the assessments are going ahead. By letting the child know what you are planning and helping them to get used to the idea, it may have altered the answer to the question of whether or not she wanted to move to the UK.

This isn't a critism, I completely understand your desire to protect your child, but if you'd known that this was going to be discussed at the assessments, I'm sure that you would have broached the subject long before with your daughter.
In my part of Canada, there are strict rules while a section 15 is being done (the assessment), one of which is that neither parent may talk to a child about why the assessment is being done, or the likely outcomes. I have sat in court and watched countless parents get ripped new ones by judges, for doing just that.