Wikiposts

I love rightmove.co.uk

Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I love rightmove.co.uk

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Not quite true, Lisa, I know several Estate Agents, in my area of UK, and Rightmove, are their advertisers, and ALL their properties go on it, even while waiting for photographs. For the best views, best to go for the full Google Earth view, then click on the street cameras, because, The map view, sometimes only shows the view FROM the house, not the adjacent properties, Parking is the first thing to check out. Don
Hi Don. Do you know how comprehensive Rightmove is? In Canada they have a Multiple Listing Service (MLS) and every house in Canada, just about, that is sold by an estate agent goes on the MLS site. I do not think that the UK has such a site and Rightmove is probably the closest to the MLS.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Hi Don. Do you know how comprehensive Rightmove is? In Canada they have a Multiple Listing Service (MLS) and every house in Canada, just about, that is sold by an estate agent goes on the MLS site. I do not think that the UK has such a site and Rightmove is probably the closest to the MLS.
I do not know of one better than Rightmove, they seem the best to me, but there is PrimeLcations, and also ''the Listing Service'' which I have ''joined'' and they all advise you of anything in your fields. I can find nothing to suit our needs, other than something furnished, better than the one we own! so I have to give the tenants notice, very soon., then buy furniture, when we get there. - Have got rid, and sold most here, already If however, you are interested in the Shropshire area, I can give you lots of info, on Agents you can get listed from, as I lived and worked there, from the age of 20, when I got demobbed, till the age of 76., when I came here...(but not for much longer). don
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:05 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
You are probably correct, Nun, in what you say, but, they were engaged after I left, by my Son in Law and Daughter, who would have had no prior experience of doing so, - and they had to pay someone, to do the garden, fit a new lounge gas fire ( We never needed it) clear the roof space, have more roof insulation installed,(UK Law changed, and demanded 6'' in all renting homes) and decorate things they thought needed to doing,. By the time that was accomplished, it was not possible to sell, as we had asked them to, for the £250,000 we wanted, as UK was going down the Swanee River! so it got rented, as I refused to sell, for the silly prices! It might be, that the agent did these things, I really have no idea. contacting me, in Thailand was not easy, and it is only now, that we can use a Thai Visa Card, outside of the country. Glad I didn't sell the house now,, as we are returning soon. dontheturner
Being a landlord has a lot of responsibilities. You have to comply with local laws and provide suitable accommodation for your tenants. I rent out the ground floor flat in my house an have wonderful tenants, but I have to maintain both apartments, so it can be a lot of work. The income form the rent isn't as much as you'd expect because of all the extra real estate taxes, insurance and maintenance costs, but it does help with the mortgage.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nun
Being a landlord has a lot of responsibilities. You have to comply with local laws and provide suitable accommodation for your tenants. I rent out the ground floor flat in my house an have wonderful tenants, but I have to maintain both apartments, so it can be a lot of work. The income form the rent isn't as much as you'd expect because of all the extra real estate taxes, insurance and maintenance costs, but it does help with the mortgage.
I cannot claim any tax rebate, as I paid cash for the place when I got it.
But conversely, I only pay tax on the rental.- But I would like to bet, we shall need a good tree lopper, and some re-decorations when we get back. Never mind. Bigger problem, here, at the moment, 23 Cities and provinces, are under water, as the rivers of Cambodia, have burst their banks, and it is now headed here - though we personally should not suffer, as we are about 2 metres above the height of the dam waters..Although this is the Monsoon season, it is very dry this past month, and Hot. The King, has generously personally funded, the issue, of 6kilos or Rice to every Thai in the country. - never seen QE do that in UK ( Not that Rice is our staple diet) regards Don

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 27th 2010 at 1:05 pm. Reason: added
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I like Rightmove better than Primelocation or Findaproperty.com, because their streetview is more accessible than Primelocation (takes several clicks on that site) and because findaproperty has too many intrusive ads.

I do agree that the most desirable houses often don't make it onto Rightmove. When we were in Cumbria, I saw a few houses in estate agent's windows that were nowhere to be seen online. This seemed to apply more to some agents than others, so I suppose they all have their preferences.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:49 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I use rightmove for practical searches in places I know and am seriously thinking about, also just random places. For instance a few days ago I thought - what would it be like to live in Wick, in northern Scotland? Go to Rightmove -- look at a few houses currently on the market. Then I go to Geograph and look at photos of Wick and nearby places. I guess they can get some stormy weather up there, judging from some of the photographs of the harbour.
I was just looking at Great Yarmouth and Gorleston-on-Sea. I could definitely live there, and there is lots of reasonably priced property. The skies look pretty grey in most of the pictures, though. Probably just a coincidence...
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also love this site

http://www.jobs.scot.nhs.uk/ApplySearch/index.aspx

and dream of a job to go with the house.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I like Rightmove better than Primelocation or
I do agree that the most desirable houses often don't make it onto Rightmove. When we were in Cumbria, I saw a few houses in estate agent's windows that were nowhere to be seen online. This seemed to apply more to some agents than others, so I suppose they all have their preferences.
SALLY!
There is a reason, why many houses do not make it ontl rightmove, that is because the agent has chosen to possibly, advertise them himself. Two friends of the family, who are both, Estate Agents, are on Rightmove. Do have a look at [url]www.westonhare.co.uk, who has All his properties on Rightmove, whereas, www.dbroberts.co.uk only has odd properties, on his site. but has a very long list, on his own web site. It may be something to do with the fact that some clients, wish to pay for wider advertising? I really don't know. In Shropshire, the local night paper, the Shropshire star, has a weekly property guide, which cover six or more full pages every week. Love Don

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 28th 2010 at 2:19 pm. Reason: edit
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

True, and sometimes estate agents have a list of buyers waiting for a house in a certain area - especially the houses in the most popular parts of a town - so they just call around and the house is sold before it ever goes online.

I know the good houses in my preferred town sell fast even now, so when we do finally move back I'm going to make sure every estate in town knows me. I plan to bake them cakes on a regular basis
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

True, and sometimes estate agents have a list of buyers waiting for a house in a certain area - especially the houses in the most popular parts of a town - so they just call around and the house is sold before it ever goes online.

I know the good houses in my preferred town sell fast even now, so when we do finally move back I'm going to make sure every estate in town knows me. I plan to bake them cakes on a regular basis
How odd, Sally, I bake cakes - so easy to do - but they must have Sultanas, and/or Raisins in them, for me to be interested - and a little vanilla essence too, for my taste! love Don
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea, I hope we managed to buy my Mums place and save ourselves the bother of all the baking and leave it to Mum to have to find a new house, she wants smaller in every way and is fed up cleaning three beds two baths and a huge downstairs and a garden that could rival Everest in it's steepness.