GCSEs

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:24 am
Just Joined

nivlug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GCSEs

I am a bit confused over dates. My son was born on 11 December 1997. If we were to move back to the England next year would he be in year 9 or be starting his GCSEs in year 10?

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSEs

Originally Posted by nivlug
I am a bit confused over dates. My son was born on 11 December 1997. If we were to move back to the England next year would he be in year 9 or be starting his GCSEs in year 10?

Thanks
My son was born in November 1997 so would be in the same school year as your son. He is currently in year 8 and will move into year 9 next September with GCSE courses starting in year 10.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:02 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
Just to confirm too - Your son would now be in year 8 so next September he will be in Year 9.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Elizabeth16 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: GCSEs

Its a minefield, isn't it?? I am hoping to move in Jan (house sale allowing) and have had to work out similar conumdrums.
My son was born May 1997, and we went back to the UK for a period of months in 2008. He was in Yr 6 then, so today, would be in Year 8, moving to year 9 in September. He is in year 8 here in Aus, so no probs.
My daughter (born Jan 1999) is just finishing year 6 here in Aus - but would be in year 7 in the UK (yr 8 from September).
My youngest daughter is where the (slight) problem comes in. She was born in July 2000 and is just finishing year 4 (in Dec) here in Aus. That means when we move back in Jan, she would have been commencing year 5 here - but will go into year 6 midway in the UK.
She will be effectively missing a year and a half of education. I am wondering whether the UK system will allow here to start in year 5 instead. As her birthday places her as one of the youngest in her year in the UK - maybe they will?
Anyone else have any concerns with children missing a year of school due to age?
Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:35 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter who is 8 just started Year 4 in the UK. Whereas in Spain she was in Year 3.

I was thinking that she has missed a year of school and is going into a class with more advanced kids but she is doing really well. She is loving it actually.

She did say that they know division and fractions already whereas in Spain she didn´t really go through them yet.

What I have done is get some of those workbooks from WH Smith and help her at home. Now she is feeling more happy about doing maths.

Getting those books like this is a good idea and you know what to cover :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandin...7830061&sr=8-7
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
My son was born in Nov 1993 and he is currently studying in year 12 (sixth Form) just starting his A levels....he would be one of the eldest in his year...so year 11 would be year birth from Sept 1994......Year 10 Sept 1995.....they start their GCSE's in year 10 as it is a two year course study.....hope that helps...and hope I have it correctly
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by manamama
My daughter who is 8 just started Year 4 in the UK. Whereas in Spain she was in Year 3.

I was thinking that she has missed a year of school and is going into a class with more advanced kids but she is doing really well. She is loving it actually.

She did say that they know division and fractions already whereas in Spain she didn´t really go through them yet.

What I have done is get some of those workbooks from WH Smith and help her at home. Now she is feeling more happy about doing maths.

Getting those books like this is a good idea and you know what to cover :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandin...7830061&sr=8-7
That is a great idea...Kitty actually loves those workbooks! I had forgotten about WHSmiths...I could spend hours in there! I will check out Amazon and see what they have. My middle daughter commented that when we went back 2 years ago for 6 months - her English school had covered decimals, but her Aussie one had not....so I had to play teacher. When we got back to Aus, her class had covered decimals whilst she was away, that was always going to happen!
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Elizabeth16
My son was born May 1997, and we went back to the UK for a period of months in 2008. He was in Yr 6 then, so today, would be in Year 8, moving to year 9 in September.
Are you sure? If your son was born in May 1997 he would be in Year 9 in the UK now, he would be picking his options for GCSE in January to start the GCSE 2 year courses in September next year at Year 10.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aries_bird
Are you sure? If your son was born in May 1997 he would be in Year 9 in the UK now, he would be picking his options for GCSE in January to start the GCSE 2 year courses in September next year at Year 10.
You are right - I keep forgetting that the month has changed (thats why I put in "moving in September...but we are now in October...d'oh!)!
I did not realise about having to choose his options so soon. He has just picked his yr 9 choices for January, but they are purely for year 9. Better not hang around here in January then...more pressure for the house to sell quickly then??!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right - I keep forgetting that the month has changed (thats why I put in "moving in September...but we are now in October...d'oh!)!
I did not realise about having to choose his options so soon. He has just picked his yr 9 choices for January, but they are purely for year 9. Better not hang around here in January then...more pressure for the house to sell quickly then??!
Don't worry though as schools are very good at helping students from oversea choose their options when the arrive in the U.K even if it is just before the start of the school year in September......our son made his decision which college to attend with just days to go before the start of the college year in September 2010....he picked his courses also with days to go....good luck and try not to stress to much
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Don't worry though as schools are very good at helping students from oversea choose their options when the arrive in the U.K even if it is just before the start of the school year in September......our son made his decision which college to attend with just days to go before the start of the college year in September 2010....he picked his courses also with days to go....good luck and try not to stress to much
Ah-ha...you picked up on the stress factor there.... I have emailed some schools in Bucks over the last couple of days...they are all getting back to me to say that yes - I do need to apply to the local Ed authority....but that they are actually completely full
I am now starting to be concerned that I am taking my children from good schools here - to...well I don't know what back home. I am seeing them (in my minds eye) having to go to the one school that has places...which is obviously the last choice school of everyone else!
Before this move is over...I shall have to go and live at a meditation centre...its either that or admit myself to an asylum!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

hi all
Don't forget most schools are also 'zoned' in the U.K. & the academic year is Sept - June.

There is also a good website BBC bitesize that is great.

Hope this helps

Last edited by bolton1; Oct 30th 2010 at 6:29 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 30th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah-ha...you picked up on the stress factor there.... I have emailed some schools in Bucks over the last couple of days...they are all getting back to me to say that yes - I do need to apply to the local Ed authority....but that they are actually completely full
I am now starting to be concerned that I am taking my children from good schools here - to...well I don't know what back home. I am seeing them (in my minds eye) having to go to the one school that has places...which is obviously the last choice school of everyone else!
Before this move is over...I shall have to go and live at a meditation centre...its either that or admit myself to an asylum!
When is your planned move? and is it High School or College that you are looking for places....if its next year etc then try not to worry to much places do come up if the school states its full...and keep in contact with your schools of choice..its always good to become known to a school than just be a stranger asking for places....might not help but as my Dads says "if your child is bright and wants to learn...they will anywhere".....for most though it is also about reputation etc of a School....Good luck and I am sure all will work out for you.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
When is your planned move? and is it High School or College that you are looking for places....if its next year etc then try not to worry to much places do come up if the school states its full...and keep in contact with your schools of choice..its always good to become known to a school than just be a stranger asking for places....might not help but as my Dads says "if your child is bright and wants to learn...they will anywhere".....for most though it is also about reputation etc of a School....Good luck and I am sure all will work out for you.
My youngest will be at Primary - and that should be fine. I know the Principal from when she attended 2 years ago and she will help to ensure that Kitty has a place.
The next 2 would be in Yr 7 and Yr9. I have to get them to take the 11 plus exam and depending on the results depends on whether they go to the Grammar School or Secondary School.
I think that you are right - my guys have a great attitude and will learn no matter where they are. I just wanted them to attend a local school to make friends in their own area - rather than having to get a bus somewhere.
I am putting our lives in the hands of Fate mostly at the moment (it seems), but I do think that making the children known to the schools is a good tip.
Thanks