Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I have made a descion and it feels great!

I have made a descion and it feels great!

Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have made a descion and it feels great!

Originally Posted by exvj
It sounds like you are eligible to be welcomed back into polite society !

Now my ex sis in law is a snob.
She got to be a teacher and went up the ranks until she was right at the top of the profession and she spent all her time going to various countries on inter - government education conferences. Her husband worked nights in the dye house at t'mill and had a big tatt on his forearm

She spent lots of money getting it lazered and it looks worse than if she had left it alone. He looks like a burns victim...

I guess there are tatts and tatts. A guy used to come into my pub in Bradford and he had '100% white' tatted across his forehead. He had a dotted line round his neck and above it ,it said 'cut here'

Hmmmm......that calls for a large stroke of chin!!

I have found that tattoos seem to be more popular here in Canada than in the UK - male and female! Although perhaps that is because Peterborough is gettiing close to the vicinity of red neck territory! LOL
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Hmmmm......that calls for a large stroke of chin!!

I have found that tattoos seem to be more popular here in Canada than in the UK - male and female! Although perhaps that is because Peterborough is gettiing close to the vicinity of red neck territory! LOL
Possibly.
I'm living in red neck country it seems and the number of Mums and Dads dropping off to school covered in tats is starting to make me Such pretty women so horribly disfigured (in my opinion)
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Round where I live - not a redneck in sight - most young kids seem to get tattoos. It just doesn't have the connotation to them that it does to me. I think it's only the same as when we all got our ears pierced and our parents went mad. Times change.

As long as no one wants me to get a tattoo, I don't care what they do - those needles look mighty painful
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Possibly.
I'm living in red neck country it seems and the number of Mums and Dads dropping off to school covered in tats is starting to make me Such pretty women so horribly disfigured (in my opinion)
Yeah I thought there were a few girls in the UK that used to have what looked like a map of their ovaries tattoed on their backs! but there are some here that take the artwork a little further! what happened to the less is more rule of thumb?? a little discretion and all that!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
After being in Canada for 20 months, we have never settled and always felt very much out of place here and not happy.
My husband felt this right from day one, but myself being a full time mum saw another side with the kids and activities and outdoor play etc!!

So the conversation on most evenings revolve around the advantages/disadvantages of Canada and the UK.

I decided to go back to where we used to live for a week with my eldest and came back just back a couple days ago.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and for once i can see full clarity in my head of where as a family we need to be!

The UK is where i definately want to be and cannot wait to start the process, so we can get back to our fab wee yorkshire village!

I really took the time to look at people, the weather, chav's, traffic, housing, etc etc, and even though nowhere is perfect where we lived is beautiful. Surrounded by the Yorkshire Dales, we took my sisters dog for walks on Ilkley Moor, the weather was ok, took a trip up into Grassington and went into a lovely tearoom where the staff and people around us were friendly and were able to have a bit of banter with.

I went into Leeds shoppping OMG!!!! Oh how i had missed people who dressed up a little to go to lunch, people having belly laughs with their friends, shops that were fab, vibrant, busy, restaurants that were packed.
There was a nice mix of people, yes of course some were a little bit left to be desired but thats obviously normal!

What i loved about being back was just the simplicity of walking round to the shop to grab a sandwich, bumping into someone i knew in the park, being able to walk to my friends house, to my sisters house, to my daughters friends house, walking back from the pub after quizz night with my sis!
Being able to go for a run up in the hills away from everyone apart from the sheep and cows!!

I also realised (something that suprised me), that i did not miss the humid weather back here, its much easier leaving the house and getting on with stuff when your not bombarded with 35 degrees of heat.
I'm sure when we are back full time, there will be days when we miss seeing the beautiful blue skies, but its not the bee all and end all!

So, after rambling on, i feel very happy that i have a clear head of where we need to be to continue with a happy life.

Canada is for some people and thats great, but for us we will be happy to come visit family here for a holiday and then get back to the land of the living

Hi Pinkkristen,

Good post, Im really glad you have come to a decision on where you want to be, there are so many people out there that are really unsure of where they want to be, once they have made the move, they have equal pros and cons in both camps.

I can relate to much of what you have said there, the things I miss about the UK, like being close to your family and life long friends, the steady upbeat atmosphere of a nice friendly British pub (its such a shame so many are closing now) nothing like that here.. i have found some that are close but not the same. I can certainly relate to uncomfortable heat at times too, its the humidity I cant stand, it seems particulary bad this year. Im so thankfull for aircon!!

However I still find that Canada draws me, purely by all the stuff you can do outdoors, summer and winter... I love the outdoors, and I personally feel that there is so much to explore in Canada, experiencing that I feel eases the homesickness, but still find I cant shake that, and still get it from time to time, it seems you cant have both things in life.

Its nice though that you have got a clear decision in your head in what you want from life and where you want to be, not everyone is that lucky.

I wish you all the best.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Aug 11th 2010 at 3:24 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

ccmail321 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want to say briefly that we just moved back to the UK and have found it very difficult has far as jobs and housing. The UK is definitely where I want to be but housing is so expensive and jobs are low paying and spares. My husband and I are both professionals and degree educated and enjoyed a very comfortable lifestyle in the USA.

It took ages for my husband to even find a job in IT here in the UK last summer when we made the move across and he was hired at less than he made in the USA and a lower position but had high hopes as it is a large National Company. Last month he was informed that the entire 500 members of IT were being outsourced in 6-12 mnths. So as sad as I am to leave this lovely country, we are moving on to the Middle East next month as we just can't "afford" to stay here, financially or emotionally.

We are hoping to come back in a few years and hopefully the job market will be better. We never dreamed that we would both have to take less paying jobs and steps down with our experience and backgrounds. We are both in our 30's. In rented housing, with only 1 car to share.

We moved back because I have always insisted the quality of life is so much better in the UK than in the USA, things move at a nice pace, there's more family time, better working regulations and I just truly love this country but unfortunately, it is just not a good time to be making international moves I'm afraid!

My only advice is that I strongly recommend having a job lined up before moving here.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ccmail321
I just want to say briefly that we just moved back to the UK and have found it very difficult has far as jobs and housing. The UK is definitely where I want to be but housing is so expensive and jobs are low paying and spares. My husband and I are both professionals and degree educated and enjoyed a very comfortable lifestyle in the USA.

It took ages for my husband to even find a job in IT here in the UK last summer when we made the move across and he was hired at less than he made in the USA and a lower position but had high hopes as it is a large National Company. Last month he was informed that the entire 500 members of IT were being outsourced in 6-12 mnths. So as sad as I am to leave this lovely country, we are moving on to the Middle East next month as we just can't "afford" to stay here, financially or emotionally.

We are hoping to come back in a few years and hopefully the job market will be better. We never dreamed that we would both have to take less paying jobs and steps down with our experience and backgrounds. We are both in our 30's. In rented housing, with only 1 car to share.

We moved back because I have always insisted the quality of life is so much better in the UK than in the USA, things move at a nice pace, there's more family time, better working regulations and I just truly love this country but unfortunately, it is just not a good time to be making international moves I'm afraid!

My only advice is that I strongly recommend having a job lined up before moving here.
Thats sad to hear.
I hope he does better in the middle east. Had you thought of moving to another part of the UK before leaving the country again?
I have to say most of us coming to the US had to start in lower positions and work our way up with no credit, rental apartments and just one car. Not the end of the world, we all have to do it sometime.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats sad to hear.
I hope he does better in the middle east. Had you thought of moving to another part of the UK before leaving the country again?
I have to say most of us coming to the US had to start in lower positions and work our way up with no credit, rental apartments and just one car. Not the end of the world, we all have to do it sometime.
I agree but I feel I'm too old to stay so many steps backwards! Also, it is a tad bit easier to rent a nice new apt in the USA in most places I think, the rental situation is a bit tough here. Very small, very expensive. I can say that I LOVE the public transport here. COmpared to Fl- where it is non existent - it has been great. We only even had to buy the car too accommodate our shift patterns - which has been horrible living. I did want to move to the Cambridge or Cambourne area but my husband just could not find a job. He is up and coming in IT so it is not like he lacks the skills or motivation just everybody in the same boat I think. Less jobs. I agree not the end of the world, we just don't see it getting better anytime soon as far as jobs so fingers crossed we'll be back in a few years!! We have this opportunity in the ME so we are going for it, pretending it will be an extended vacation - tax free - hooray - we are not going to live the lavish expat life over there - just save save save to come back!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:02 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I agree but I feel I'm too old to stay so many steps backwards! Also, it is a tad bit easier to rent a nice new apt in the USA in most places I think, the rental situation is a bit tough here. Very small, very expensive. I can say that I LOVE the public transport here. COmpared to Fl- where it is non existent - it has been great. We only even had to buy the car too accommodate our shift patterns - which has been horrible living. I did want to move to the Cambridge or Cambourne area but my husband just could not find a job. He is up and coming in IT so it is not like he lacks the skills or motivation just everybody in the same boat I think. Less jobs. I agree not the end of the world, we just don't see it getting better anytime soon as far as jobs so fingers crossed we'll be back in a few years!! We have this opportunity in the ME so we are going for it, pretending it will be an extended vacation - tax free - hooray - we are not going to live the lavish expat life over there - just save save save to come back!
Goodness, scary news! We're moving back and hubby is in IT so I'm a little concerne. We do have the advantage that we can move anywhere in the UK so hopefully he will land upon something. I'm a teacher so I should be able to find work wherever his job takes us.

I wish you all the best in the Middle East. I'm sure it'll be a great aventure and chapter in your lives.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Goodness, scary news! We're moving back and hubby is in IT so I'm a little concerne. We do have the advantage that we can move anywhere in the UK so hopefully he will land upon something. I'm a teacher so I should be able to find work wherever his job takes us.

I wish you all the best in the Middle East. I'm sure it'll be a great aventure and chapter in your lives.
We were flexible at first. We wound up moving about 1 hour from our family here for the job he did get. I honestly advise your hubby starts sending resumes/CV's online a month before coming! Things move slowly here in my opinion when it comes to recruitment. I teach ICT but did not want to start teaching here until we were settled due to the completely different curriculum for my subject area here. I went back to corporate and I guess that hasn't helped my opinion of things here - once a teacher going back to corporate can be so...unrewarding! I am honestly not exaggerating the job market for IT. My husband has about 10 years experience and a BS Degree and held a good position for 5 years in the USA as Network Admin/Network Mang but still couldn't find anything anywhere. Even after he took the job he did, he still looked and sent out tons of CV's. He went on a few interviews and was often told he was overqualified...I wish you luck but can't stress enough for hubby to start looking ASAP!

I don't want to sound like a 'downer' but if I knew all this last year, at the very least, I definitely would have kept my teaching job in the USA and sent my hubby over first to stay with family and find a job he really liked and paid what he is worth.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:41 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I must be a snob too, though i fail on the 2nd and last one! Having said that the belly and nose rings are long gone and i haven't watched big brother in 18 months!!
Good luck with the move back, Pink
There's no point in being unhappy in a place you don't care about, life is tough enough without that.

I realised a long time ago that the UK is definately a better place to be permantly, than the US.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Good luck with the move back, Pink
There's no point in being unhappy in a place you don't care about, life is tough enough without that.

I realised a long time ago that the UK is definately a better place to be permantly, than the US.

Thanks, a few days ago we had some devastating news regarding my pregnant sister. So i have felt very down and helpless and angry i am not there for her. It has again just strengthened my need to be back around the people closest to me. I know her and my brother - in law really wished we could be there to support them.
We have to be here for another year for business purposes, but we are finding it more and more difficult every week.

We will carry on and i will throw myself into preparations of the big move back!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: I have made a descion and it feels great!

Hello, My dear, Just read what you say about finding better paid work in IT. Did you check out the large multinational IT ones' in TELFORD? e.g. ENTA technologies, and the like? Housing/ Plenty of very upmarket ones, both for rent and sale? www.rightmove.co.uk, and see the lists. Type in NHS JOBS, and lots of tech grades wanted, also MOD, too Best of luck, don (aged 80) - at present in Thailand, but only till March, then UK (Shropshire)
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hi ccmail321,
Interesting to read your post. Looks like you have the golden opportunity to go to the ME! I lived in Abu Dhabi for 11 years and really enjoyed it. In fact my kids grew up there, and are STILL there! Great place to spend a few years, but can also be a little unsettling as you watch people come and go around you. Still, having said that, a lot of my good friends are still there and happy and will be there till the cows come home
Check in with the guys on the ME forum, I sneak in there everyday as they are hilarious. Also a lot of info on day-to-day life and irritations in the ME - all to be taken in the spirit of living in a different culture - its fascinating so enjoy your experience.

Good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:47 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, a few days ago we had some devastating news regarding my pregnant sister. So i have felt very down and helpless and angry i am not there for her. It has again just strengthened my need to be back around the people closest to me. I know her and my brother - in law really wished we could be there to support them.
We have to be here for another year for business purposes, but we are finding it more and more difficult every week.

We will carry on and i will throw myself into preparations of the big move back!
Sorry to hear about your sis hun
Glad you've come to a decision, although I would have bet myt last dollar on you going home we must have been around your neck of the woods last week - we stayed in York but passed through other areas. I found the people of York lovely.

Need to meet up soon to swap stories!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.