Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I hate it when people ask this

Wikiposts

I hate it when people ask this

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate it when people ask this

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
My work situation has driven me to needing counseling (not job counseling but counseling). Unfortunately while I'd love to stay in Vancouver, I don't know how long my mental health is going to tolerate it. I'm hoping for an 11th hour solution but it's getting really close now.
Time to leave then.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not into committee decisions or making life changing decisions based on opinions of people who I don't know too well, but I'm going to take a chance here.

One cannot hang around too long on the Moving Back forum without it becoming evident that you've either done it or planning on it. Well for me and my family it's the latter.

Here's the situation. Been in Vancouver since 2005 and got PR about a year ago. However wife is really unhappy living here for so many reasons. She never really settled and finds it difficult to make friends in Canada. Actually I know where she's coming from. I've not been remotely impressed with Canadians or Americans for that matter. Brits over here have put this into perspective.

I had a project cancelled on my late last year and despite working full time to get job applications out, haven't had any luck or even a sniff. This is diabolical as I've always been in a high employment situation. I know there's a credit crunch and the media love gloating and scaremongering about the impending gloom. However I'm in a field that should flourish in a weakened economy.

However I've been out of work for a few months. So thoughts of moving back to UK have more than crossed our mind. Of course everyone there is saying "don't move back, don't move back" but I see this as a case of the grass is greener in reverse. Having researched it, there are plenty of opportunities every day for my skills so I don't anticipate having an issue getting back into work.

While I see more opportunities in UK than here for me, I'm not convinced my wife will actually be happy there either. She falls out with the neighbours and then finds reasons to want to go back. Or finds there's problems with schools here and decides we need to leave Canada.

I don't object to moving back but it will financially cripple us and I'm also concerned of the knock on effect on our relationship. Staying here out of work is also not an option, and I find this places really sucks in hard times, far more than Britain. I've never been homesick but with the bull-crap going on at the moment feel an desperate need to have friends and family around, even if they haven't proven to be so wonderful since we emigrated.

At the moment we're kind of in confused agreement that we're moving back. Of course I'm not sure whether we'll even be able to sell our house although we have a realtor who just wont' leave us alone. I'm really uneasy about doing so because even though I really want to get back into work and I'm not 100% happy in Canada, I am worried for the can of worms that might be opened in moving back.

The other point is that the PR has a 2 year residency requirement in any 5. My understanding is that if I got it January 1, 2008 then if by Janary 1, 2013 I have 2 years residency I can renew the PR card for another 5 years. For this we'd have to remain in Canada until about end of Feb 2010.

The other thing keeping me here is citizenship. As we have time in Canada, we can count some of it towards our citizenship requirement. We want this for our kids as much as anything. I calculated that we'd qualify with 1095 days (the qualifying requirement) some time early April 2010.

So if we left late summer we'd be within a few months of a chance to renew our PR for another 5 years when it expires, and about 8 months from being able to apply for citizenship. My intuition tells me we should stay come what may for this, but I'm not even sure I enjoy living here any more. Why stick my neck out to get something I might never use? Yes we could do it for the kids but perhaps they won't use it either.

Anyway sorry for the long text with a few hidden questions in there. This group is excellent for helping people clarify their confusion, even if the answer doesn't come from another member. I appreciate any thoughts and opinions on our situation, even though the decision will ultimately be a personal not a logical one.
Whatever you do, get your Canadian citizenship first, just in case. Otherwise, emmigration is not for everybody and least you had the initiative to make the move in the first place and have had the experience. I think it is a great experience for anyone to spend a part of their lives in a different country. At least in your old age you will not be saying (like so many people) " well, maybe I should have gone to .....". Otherwise, England is a great place and you should not feel bad about going back.

I have emmigrated twice, from England to South Africa and South Africa to Canada and generally find that the grass is not greener, just a different shade.

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 24th 2009 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:00 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Too true! When I lost my first job in Canada I also lost many people who I'd developed friendships with. These are people that, as their manager, i'd really helped with their work and personal lives. One, for example, wanted to emigrate to Holland. I not only found that opportunity (internally) but helped her get out of her car lease and helped with her immigration. When I tried to connect via Linked In following my departure, she, in addition to most other people I worked with, failed to respond. Incredible beyond belief!

I am not of the opinion that you have to be friends with those you work with. But I can always identify people I dislike, those I can get on with and those I could be good friends with. I find the latter disappointingly missing from MY work experiences in Vancouver.

You're right about networks being two-way. This is surely justification for treating people with an ounce of respect. Failing to reply to applicants is simply treating real people, some of whom are without a job, as materials. My work situation has driven me to needing counseling (not job counseling but counseling). Unfortunately while I'd love to stay in Vancouver, I don't know how long my mental health is going to tolerate it. I'm hoping for an 11th hour solution but it's getting really close now.
Don't suppose there's a chance of moving elsewhere in BC until you get your citizenship? I live within the Vancouver 'unfriendly belt'. People just don't communicate and look at you funny if you strike up a conversation. Sense of humour?? Forget it!

Anyway, we go to Kelowna every year on vacation and it's unbelievable to see the difference in people's attitudes.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:57 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Whatever you do, get your Canadian citizenship first, just in case.
I'm steering that way although I need to get some income. The West Coast lack of urgency doesn't help matters. I don't think people / employers / companies appreciate that we need to earn money. Perhaps they haven't yet worked that out, which explains why nobody puts salaries on job ads. I've been so pissed about here by companies, who know perfectly well I have a family, am sole breadwinnner, and I have mouths to feed.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:07 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Someone said to me a while ago that the UK is not very friendly and they don't talk to their neighbours. I am guessing that person lived in London in a street of fellow renters. I live in the UK, I speak to all of my neighbours. One fed my cat while I was away, and another was offended I didn't ask them!!! (only joking - I think). I suspect it might be worth trying another part of Canada first.

I think the credit crunch hit hard here in certain sectors, and early on. Countries thinking they have got away with it may be yet to feel the full effects. While the UK is hit, I think it will turn the corner quicker too. By the way I have no economic skills at all so take this with a pinch of salt!!

I also agree that the media in the UK are screaming banshies that should be ignored. Even the BBC fall into the doom and gloom trap.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

I lived for a year in Vancouver 35 years ago, and thought it was the most wonderful place on Earth, having grown up in Surrey! I wouldn't recognise it from what I have been reading - but maybe it has changed, or maybe it was my youthful optimism and outgoingness (now I am your average middle-aged grumpy) that gave me rose-tinted spectacles. I lived in an area called Kitsilano, near the beach, in a funky wooden house, and whenever I walked out the door or down the street people would say 'hi'. I had never known such friendliness before, and my eyes were opened to much wider horizons and new perspectives than they ever had been in England. How I loved the mountains, the buildings, the islands, the weather...it was a formative time in my life. So that's how I will always think of Vancouver!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:02 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yeah. Kits ain't like that now, that's for sure. It's been totally yuppified and is all about money, money, money. There are some hold outs from the old days, but locals (like my OH) tell me it's nothing like it was. A lot of the crunchy/hippie stuff has moved east.

I do find people say hi and all that stuff - I really noticed that after Melbourne, where people weren't very friendly (imo). But actually breaking through and making friends, REAL friends is tough. I've kinda given up. I also think Van is quite transient so that doesn't help.