Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I got rained on inside the house last night

I got rained on inside the house last night

Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default I got rained on inside the house last night

This house is falling apart, my poor Dh spends all his time (non is free anymore) keeping it from crumbling about our heads.
I went in the bathroom last night to get a big drop off cold water on my head, followed by more, we have a flippin leak He thinks it may be where the gas pipe comes out the roof to the AC/Heater on the roof (I always thought that was a daft place to put them)
So todays storm will be over soon, just wind left, and he'll be up in the attic, moving the insulation looking for the wet spot seeing where it's dripping from, followed by a trip up the roof to patch it. I'm glad we don't have an upstairs, way too far to fall of.
We bought this place new, thinking less maintenance, we've been doing stuff since we moved in.
Wooden houses are rubbish I want one made of bricks or stone that doesn't need exterior paint every couple of years due to the sun beating the heck out of it.
OK thats my rant over for the day (so long as he doesn't find more damage when he gets up there.)
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got rained on inside the house last night

Looks like it was the skylight, he pulled it all off cleaned it all up, siliconed all the bits that needed sealing and put it all back together sealed it tight as a drum. So heres hoping I can pee without getting rained on when the next storm hits tomorrow.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: I got rained on inside the house last night

....and over here in the New Jersey (New York metro area) we are getting blasted with yet another snowstorm. This one is predicted to be non-stop for 36-48 hours and started at approx 7am this morning Eastern Time. It's very heavy, wet snow so I hope the power cables aren't brought down by falling trees or branches; a man was killed today by a falling tree in Central Park NYC, and on Fifth Avenue a tree crashed onto a bus - both caused by the weight of the heavy snow.

I am so over it (the snow). I'm going back to Singapore in a fortnight and can't wait to get back into a tropical climate for a few weeks.

Oh...by the way my house was sprayed by a skunk last night! I'd just got into bed and realised a god-awful smell was wafting in via the warm air heating.. ( I think the mating season is just beginning, too). The house still stinks of skunk despite liberally spraying the rooms with air freshner and scented candles....

(I have a story about what happened the first time our house was 'skunked'....a bit long to post right now but will recount it here if anyone is interested...)
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Yuck Skunk smell, I think we have a whole family of them moved into the empty field next to us, I'm smelling them daily lately.

I hope all your power lines stay in place and stay warm.
I'm out of fire-starters and am rubbish at starting the fire without, so the gas company will be benefiting from the next storm.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:27 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yuck Skunk smell, I think we have a whole family of them moved into the empty field next to us, I'm smelling them daily lately.

I hope all your power lines stay in place and stay warm.
I'm out of fire-starters and am rubbish at starting the fire without, so the gas company will be benefiting from the next storm.
Oh dear, I wish you all a skunk and storm free goodnight you poor things!

My house (wooden) was built in 1895 and has faired very well but I think had lots of love and attention from the prevous owners (and us) thank goodness. I certainly miss a solid brick house though, they just feel different.