Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I am thinking of doing a runner.

I am thinking of doing a runner.

Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:07 am
AIT
Just Joined

AIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the rough
Default I am thinking of doing a runner.

Hello,

New to the forum. You're going to think I am crazy but I feel like doing a runner back to the UK.

I have been in Canada for ten years, have a mortgage, some debt, my parents and brother live down the road but I am thinking 'bugger it' and disapearing basically.

It would take me years to pay down my debt and I am thirty years old so not getting any younger.

What do you reckon then?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am thinking of doing a runner.

Originally Posted by AIT
Hello,

New to the forum. You're going to think I am crazy but I feel like doing a runner back to the UK.

I have been in Canada for ten years, have a mortgage, some debt, my parents and brother live down the road but I am thinking 'bugger it' and disapearing basically.

It would take me years to pay down my debt and I am thirty years old so not getting any younger.

What do you reckon then?
Don't do it. The past will always catch up with you... I believe..even on an international level it can happen I am sure. Personally I think we have a responsibility to those who have lent us money. Settle your debts and then be off. My mate did a runner from his London flat. 5 years later a 56k GBP bill arrived on his doorstep. You may well find that you CAN do a runner to the UK and you WILL escape all responsibilty..but what if you cant? A being devil's advocate why should you try and escape all liabilty for what you chose to sign up for?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:19 am
AIT
Just Joined

AIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Genesis
Don't do it. The past will always catch up with you... I believe..even on an international level it can happen I am sure. Personally I think we have a responsibility to those who have lent us money. Settle your debts and then be off. My mate did a runner from his London flat. 5 years later a 56k GBP bill arrived on his doorstep. You may well find that you CAN do a runner to the UK and you WILL escape all responsibilty..but what if you cant? A being devil's advocate why should you try and escape all liabilty for what you chose to sign up for?
Hi Genesis,

You're right plus my parents and brother would be heartbroken.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:19 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AIT
Hello,

What do you reckon then?

How did you get into debt?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AIT
Hi Genesis,

You're right plus my parents and brother would be heartbroken.
Good on yer mate!!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:22 am
AIT
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricket1
How did you get into debt?
Hi Cricket,

I have around $10,000 in credit card debt and $20,000 in a personal loan.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:24 am
AIT
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Genesis
Good on yer mate!!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:28 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AIT
Hi Cricket,

I have around $10,000 in credit card debt and $20,000 in a personal loan.
What did you borrow the money for if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:31 am
AIT
Just Joined

What did you borrow the money for if you don't mind me asking?
On my personal loan I borrowed the money to purchase furniture for my house and home studio. My credit card debt was frittered away on day to day living.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AIT
On my personal loan I borrowed the money to purchase furniture for my house and home studio. My credit card debt was frittered away on day to day living.
I would pay it back if I were you. It will make the rest of us who have lost one third of our super because of bad debts heaps better. :-)
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:39 am
AIT
Just Joined

I would pay it back if I were you. It will make the rest of us who have lost one third of our super because of bad debts heaps better. :-)
Yes you're right I should do the right thing, I would'nt be able to live with myself if I did 'do a runner'.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AIT
Yes you're right I should do the right thing, I would'nt be able to live with myself if I did 'do a runner'.
I'm glad.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, and then after that don't spend what you aint got!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:34 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by AIT
Hello,

What do you reckon then?
I reckon you would be mad, sounds like you are being driven by FEAR at the moment.

FEAR = False evidence appearing real.
FEAR = **** everything and run.

Or,

FEAR = face everything and recover.

Yep, all handy little sayings i've picked up in therapy (Im slightly bonkers myself). I know the feeling of ****ing everything and running. It's not usually the answer.

Good luck.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AIT
Hello,

What do you reckon then?
They will probably come after you for payment after you've moved to the UK...and rightly so in my opinion. Why should other people suffer because you've overspent? Someone...somewhere has to pay for your debt...and that is Joe Blogs...yes the rest of us folk. Call the companies...tell them your position and work out some sort of payment plan. In future only buy what you can afford to pay for there and then....that's they way I was brought up and I have no debts.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 11th 2009 at 1:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.