Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Husband on Canadian Drivers Licence (Car Insurance)

Husband on Canadian Drivers Licence (Car Insurance)

Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

twopintsandabagofcrisps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husband on Canadian Drivers Licence (Car Insurance)

I wonder if anyone can help,

I've been making some enquiries about getting my husband (Canadian) insured on a car in the UK and most companies wont even talk to me, even if he is a named driver on my insurance.

One other thing I have noticed, is that even though I have been driving for 20 years which is 10 years in the UK and 10 years in Canada without incident they cant give me any no claims bonus...

Does anyone have any car insurance companies that they recommend to use on our return from Canada to the UK?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband on Canadian Drivers Licence (Car Insurance)

Originally Posted by twopintsandabagofcrisps
I wonder if anyone can help,

I've been making some enquiries about getting my husband (Canadian) insured on a car in the UK and most companies wont even talk to me, even if he is a named driver on my insurance.

One other thing I have noticed, is that even though I have been driving for 20 years which is 10 years in the UK and 10 years in Canada without incident they cant give me any no claims bonus...

Does anyone have any car insurance companies that they recommend to use on our return from Canada to the UK?
Try Aviva. They equaled our Australian no claims bonus, although we needed a letter from our Oz insurers. Aviva have also let us put our Aussie housesitters on our car insurance for the 6 weeks they'll be here, as they both have International driver licenses.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

twopintsandabagofcrisps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Try Aviva. They equaled our Australian no claims bonus, although we needed a letter from our Oz insurers. Aviva have also let us put our Aussie housesitters on our car insurance for the 6 weeks they'll be here, as they both have International driver licenses.
Thanks Ill try them.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 8:38 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Another one to try is NFU. They accepted my Canadian claims experience record (provided by my Cdn insurer) and my driving abstract from the Ab govt when I returned to the UK. They also accepted that I would be driving with a foreign license for 1 year.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 10:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on Aviva. They had no issue with Canadian licenses and recognised the NCB on presentation of a letter from our Canadian insurer. This was in 2015.

Note that a Canadian license when swapped for a UK one will come with an automatic only endorsement.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 31st 2017 at 10:18 am.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1 on Aviva. They had no issue with Canadian licenses and recognised the NCB on presentation of a letter from our Canadian insurer. This was in 2015.

Note that a Canadian license when swapped for a UK one will come with an automatic only endorsement.
I wonder why these strange rules - when I swapped my Australian license, which only allowed me to drive an automatic, I got a UK one that let me drive automatics, manuals and motorbikes
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why these strange rules - when I swapped my Australian license, which only allowed me to drive an automatic, I got a UK one that let me drive automatics, manuals and motorbikes
Maybe that was because the Australians drive on the correct side of the road
Old Mar 31st 2017, 2:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The DVLA assumes that US and Canadians will have taken their tests on an automatic. If you indeed passed on a manual then you have to prove it to them.

Perhaps DVLA are a bit out of date though.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Maybe that was because the Australians drive on the correct side of the road
Them's fighting words, Mike!
Old Mar 31st 2017, 6:47 pm
Concierge

The DVLA assumes that US and Canadians will have taken their tests on an automatic. If you indeed passed on a manual then you have to prove it to them.

Either out of date or crazy. I wouldn't know one end of a gear from the other!
Old Apr 1st 2017, 8:04 pm
Born again atheist

Either out of date or crazy. I wouldn't know one end of a gear from the other!
Hmm. I'm back in France at the moment, we have two cars here. One that we drove here from the UK which is an auto because my OH passed her test in North America and is therefore considered incompetent to drive manuals

The other (French registered) car is a manual which she prefers to drive since she's never driven an automatic for the four decades before we returned to the UK.

Mad I tells yer.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are. My husband is a born and raised Canadian and has only ever driven a manual in Canada and in Europe when he was stationed there for 16 years and here in the US for the last 19. Thankfully, the US license doesn't specify which type transmission you can drive.