Huntingdon

Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Huntingdon

Anyone familiar with the area around Huntingdon?

My son and his family live in Ely and I am attracted by the fishing on Grafham water and have always fished at Rutland so the area seems ideal to me.

With the current AUD/GBP exchange rate I am tempted to return to the UK.

I would not need to work nor worry about a mortgage.

I would be grateful for any opinions.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huntingdon

Nobody live there?

...or are you all trying to spare me the dire news?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nobody live there?

...or are you all trying to spare me the dire news?
No idea about the area, but good luck with your plans.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No idea about the area, but good luck with your plans.
Thank you

TBH I chose that place very much by sticking a pin in the map

Although the general area has a lot to attract me.

I am, by no means, fixed on that area or even on a date to return

It is all under consideration
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

TBH I chose that place very much by sticking a pin in the map

Although the general area has a lot to attract me.

I am, by no means, fixed on that area or even on a date to return

It is all under consideration
Sounds great - you're able to take your time and find just the right place.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My son and his family live in Ely and I am attracted by the fishing on Grafham water and have always fished at Rutland so the area seems ideal to me.

Look at Houghton, beautiful little village. Between Huntingdon and St Ives. Great pubs, beautiful old houses.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my teenage years living at RAF Wyton just outside Huntingdon and moved back to the area when I was in my mid 20's. Personally I wouldn't live in Huntingdon but there are many nice villages surrounding it. I mentioned in my other post the village of Houghton, worth considering. Grafham itself is considered a very nice village. Alconbury, Hemingford Grey, Hemingford Abbots, Stukeley (home of John Major!) Kings Ripton, Abbots Ripton and then of course St Ives. I think these are all nice places. I would choose to live in St Ives rather than Huntingdon. I used to live in Sawtry (about 7 miles North of Huntingdon), not the most attractive village I grant you but there are some lovely older properties, a thriving village pub and I think a good community spirit. Close to the A1M for travelling. My husband is also a fisherman and spent many a happy day trout fishing at Grafham.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Newfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to all

I used to live in Huntingdon, near Hinchingbrooke House and park. I enjoyed the time there from 1994 - 1997. It's cheaper than living in Cambridge and there is a good rail service to London. There are some nice villages around Grafham Water.
I would love to return to the area as my daughter and family live in Cambridge and it would be an ideal place to live. However, my US husband does not want to live in the UK, so I'll have to stay here. Good luck and I hope you decide to return to the UK - family is everything and I've come to realise this as I've got older.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by northernbird
Look at Houghton, beautiful little village. Between Huntingdon and St Ives. Great pubs, beautiful old houses.
I think a village would suit us better.

Early days yet but with the exchange rate we could set up quite nicely

I will have a look round when we go over in April
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Newfarnley
I used to live in Huntingdon, near Hinchingbrooke House and park. I enjoyed the time there from 1994 - 1997. It's cheaper than living in Cambridge and there is a good rail service to London. There are some nice villages around Grafham Water.
I would love to return to the area as my daughter and family live in Cambridge and it would be an ideal place to live. However, my US husband does not want to live in the UK, so I'll have to stay here. Good luck and I hope you decide to return to the UK - family is everything and I've come to realise this as I've got older.
The area appeals mainly because my son and his family live in Ely but I do not really want to on top of them....and it seems quite central for the rest of our families.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an OK area to me. The villages around there are very pleasant and if you are closer to St Ives there is a guided bus service now to Cambridge so the area is quite accessible.

I am loving Cambridge but living in the parental house so not needed to pay for a house - real estate prices here have gone down a bit but are still very high in the scheme of things. Apart from a lack of hills (which doesnt really bother me) the area has pretty much everything you need within cooee
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Is Huntingdon the place with the massive, and ever so slightly controversial, animal testing lab?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a village would suit us better.

Early days yet but with the exchange rate we could set up quite nicely

I will have a look round when we go over in April
If your not "stuck" to an area have you thought of Cornwall, Devon...both have great villages and some wonderful rivers fantastic beaches etc....we are even tempted lol.....yesterday the Aus $ was .68 thats wonderful news if your coming to the UK. Good luck with your plans.
p.s Anyone watched the Caroline Quentin "Cornwall" series....it's just lovely to watch.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Looks like an OK area to me. The villages around there are very pleasant and if you are closer to St Ives there is a guided bus service now to Cambridge so the area is quite accessible.

I am loving Cambridge but living in the parental house so not needed to pay for a house - real estate prices here have gone down a bit but are still very high in the scheme of things. Apart from a lack of hills (which doesnt really bother me) the area has pretty much everything you need within cooee
Your mention of the hills made me think of how in the past I have either had a view of the hills or live in the hills....even in Perth,W.A ...at the moment we are in the Peak District....I am blissed out lol...
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Is Huntingdon the place with the massive, and ever so slightly controversial, animal testing lab?
That would be the place. Huntingdon Life Sciences. It is actually not in Huntingdon but on a large site beside the A1(M).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.