Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to register US newborn for UK rights

How to register US newborn for UK rights

Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:02 am
Isabelle's Mommy

AndysGirl will become famous soon enough
Default How to register US newborn for UK rights

I need some help. We are expecting in November. We want our baby to have British citizenship; as well as American. I dont really know how all this works. How do we get a British passport and is that all we need to get? If someone has done this before, please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:09 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to register US newborn for UK rights

Read this, halfway down the page is information on dual citizenship for minors.

It is not necessary to register the birth at the UK Embassy, (it's a lot of money to do so) in order for your child to be able to have a British passport.

Good luck with the birth - I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Read this, halfway down the page is information on dual citizenship for minors.

It is not necessary to register the birth at the UK Embassy, (it's a lot of money to do so) in order for your child to be able to have a British passport.

Good luck with the birth - I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308955
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:34 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndysGirl
I need some help. We are expecting in November. We want our baby to have British citizenship; as well as American. I dont really know how all this works. How do we get a British passport and is that all we need to get? If someone has done this before, please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Yay! So happy to hear your good news! We were in the same K1 graduating class, so to speak, so it's always cool to see how our lives keep moving forward.

Take care of yourself, and good luck with Baby!

~ Jenney (& Mark)
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly sometimes it *is* necessary to make a formal application for the child to be a British citizen. This can include cases where:

- the father is not married to the mother; or
- the parents are not born or naturalised in the UK.

There are time limits for making these applications if they are required, and lots of people get a nasty surprise later in life when they *think* their child is British when it's not. Especially if it's too late to fix the problem.

Secondly, even if your child is automatically British, it is well worth getting a British consular birth certificate for your child as well as a British passport. Passports can get lost later on, and a consular birth certificate will make replacement a lot easier. Don't worry about the extra few dollars now, save your child a lot of hassle later on.

Jeremy
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:26 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Firstly sometimes it *is* necessary to make a formal application for the child to be a British citizen. This can include cases where:

- the father is not married to the mother; or
- the parents are not born or naturalised in the UK.

There are time limits for making these applications if they are required, and lots of people get a nasty surprise later in life when they *think* their child is British when it's not. Especially if it's too late to fix the problem.

Secondly, even if your child is automatically British, it is well worth getting a British consular birth certificate for your child as well as a British passport. Passports can get lost later on, and a consular birth certificate will make replacement a lot easier. Don't worry about the extra few dollars now, save your child a lot of hassle later on.

Jeremy
True enough but I had read this on the UK Embassy site:

25. Must a child who was born outside of the UK be registered?

No. It is a matter of choice. Nationality is defined by sight of original marriage/birth etc documentation.

Taken from here.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

True enough but I had read this on the UK Embassy site:

25. Must a child who was born outside of the UK be registered?

No. It is a matter of choice. Nationality is defined by sight of original marriage/birth etc documentation.

Taken from here.

That information is incomplete. Most children born overseas to British parents do acquire British citizenship automatically, but some do not.

The standard of information on many UK government websites leaves a lot to be desired. For example the website of the British Embassy in Washington says *nothing* about how to deal with the situation where only the father is British and the parents are not married. Nothing is automatic regarding citizenship for the child but the problem can be fixed by registering the child with the Home Office - provided the parents know what to do!

Where a child is automatically British a consular birth cert is not obligatory, but it saves the risk of lots of hassle later on if you obtain one. Why make things more complex than they need to be?

Jeremy
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:39 am
Isabelle's Mommy

AndysGirl will become famous soon enough

Thanks for everyones information...it helped!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AndysGirl
Thanks for everyones information...it helped!
Great information as I am expecting in January. Congratulations to you Andysgirl.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:34 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whistlestop01
Great information as I am expecting in January. Congratulations to you Andysgirl.
Blimey! Congrats. Hopefully I'll get to see you around the marina this summer.