Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

Wikiposts

How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Do you have any 'yuk' relatives?
My dad was from a family of 9 and my mom is one of ten, so yeah, plenty of those!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:50 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I know, but it seems to be ingrained into them at an early age...I even had to walk to school!
I lived in Ohio and had to walk to school...no bus service if there were sidewalks in front of your house in my village. And yes, it was officially a village because there were less than 5,000 inhabitants but more than 1,600. We walked or biked everywhere.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I lived in Ohio and had to walk to school...no bus service if there were sidewalks in front of your house in my village. And yes, it was officially a village because there were less than 5,000 inhabitants but more than 1,600. We walked or biked everywhere.
My son walks to school here, but to be fair, it's only 5 mins up the road and he could get the bus if he is feeling lazy!

I think it's pretty silly that they pick up kids from here to go 5 mins up the road to be honest
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
My son walks to school here, but to be fair, it's only 5 mins up the road and he could get the bus if he is feeling lazy!

I think it's pretty silly that they pick up kids from here to go 5 mins up the road to be honest

They stopped doing that this year in my daughter's school district. We are a walking school and unless they live outside a mile to school (which only a handful do) they have to walk or get dropped off by car. In the morning its not too bad, but afternoon the parents are cutthroat for sure. They park anywhere and everywhere to pick up their little darlings.....
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

Every time I go back, I want to do it again less and less. Last time was 3 years ago and my parents complain about the lack of a visit almost every week (I have called them EVERY week for 8 years now).

For one thing it's the distance, we're on the West coast, then there's the cost which seems to go up every year, then there's the hassle of flying these days, the cramped flights, rude airline staff. When I finally get there, I say hello to my family and then sit down to watch Coronation Street and tick off the days until I can come home to the US.

Not to mention the lousy weather, high prices, miserable people. and nasty violent kids.

There was a reason I left, and it wasn't because I like it, I don't ever want to go back, but sadly I will have to at least twice more, and for the worst reason
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:58 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
They stopped doing that this year in my daughter's school district. We are a walking school and unless they live outside a mile to school (which only a handful do) they have to walk or get dropped off by car. In the morning its not too bad, but afternoon the parents are cutthroat for sure. They park anywhere and everywhere to pick up their little darlings.....
Lazy gits.