Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

We've been here for a little over year, we have two small boys who are the only grandchildren on both sides. So far we've planned to go back to visit once per year. My parents are not able to come here (they are looking after elderly relatives) for the forseeable future so If I want to see them I'll have to go there.

I'm just wondering if many of you found that as the years have gone by you've been more or less inclined to make regular trips back to the UK?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We've been here for a little over year, we have two small boys who are the only grandchildren on both sides. So far we've planned to go back to visit once per year. My parents are not able to come here (they are looking after elderly relatives) for the forseeable future so If I want to see them I'll have to go there.

I'm just wondering if many of you found that as the years have gone by you've been more or less inclined to make regular trips back to the UK?
The longer we're here the less inclined we are to go over for holidays. My kids aren't bothered either so we go back every 2 years or so, although my parents do come and visit us at least twice a year
I find going over a real pain the the backside as everyone wants to see you and so it isn't a relaxing trip....the best thing we've found is to rent a house/cottage and tell everyone where we are and invite them to come and see us rather than dragging the kids all over staying here and there.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist

When we were in the UK, we came to the US (for his family) at least every two years with 2 kids, they never came to see us there.

Since being in the US, my family (Sister) has been here twice and met us in FL for a vacation once.

I have been back there once, for Nephew's wedding, in about 8 years (altogether) I'm hoping that once my youngest is in college, I will be able to go visit more often
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Not often enough.
We lapsed over the year with visits, but now my Mom is alone, she comes to us annually and I try to go back every other year.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:27 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I've been here 16 months and haven't been back to England since.

I would like to though.

At the moment I feel trapped.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The first few years after we moved I went back twice a year...but I found it too unsettling. So I decided to pull up all the UK roots and try to put them down here...so I didn't go for 7 years. When I eventually made a trip back I loved it...so I decided to buy a place there. Now I go back several times a year.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
At the moment I feel trapped.
Why trapped?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:55 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Because I can't go back to the UK for quite a while.

That's why I'm trying to find good wings, so I can fly...
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back twice in 4 years. It doesn't always feel like a holiday when you have to travel around to see various people. I loved it when I went back last year and was really down for a long time when I got back. The children seem to have fun and reconnect over there.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking that the idea of renting a place in the UK for a week would indeed be cheaper than our last visit over, staying in hotels and eating out 3 meals a day. Plus the cost of taxis/buses back and forth.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:58 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here four years and haven't been back
The first year we had lots of visitors which was really nice.
The second year we decided to see something of the US as we really didn't know how long we would be here.

The third year we were doing green card stuff and it just didn't work out that we could get back .

Now we have two kids in college here and we just can't afford it. We don't have family in the area we call home and we have different groups of friends who don't know each other and the whole thing just becaomes fraught. Plus OH only gets two weeks holiday a year and can't take them together so we can only go for a week.

Perhaps next year
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
tell everyone where we are and invite them to come and see us rather than dragging the kids all over staying here and there.
I have an aunt in the uk who said she is 'done with' me (meaning she wants nothing to do with me) because the last time I went over with my girls (then 18 months and 3 year old) I did not go visit her. Yeap I travelled 4000 miles with 2 kids and she could not bring herself 6 miles to visit me at my dads house. Family's are a funny thing!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have an aunt in the uk who said she is 'done with' me (meaning she wants nothing to do with me) because the last time I went over with my girls (then 18 months and 3 year old) I did not go visit her. Yeap I travelled 4000 miles with 2 kids and she could not bring herself 6 miles to visit me at my dads house. Family's are a funny thing!
I can believe it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not been back since I got here....realised my passport has been expired for a couple of years, I knew it was expired but I didn't realise it had been a couple of years.

Sending it over to my mother to renew for me, sod these US rates.

Anyway, my mother has been over a couple of times since my daughter was born which was nice. Sister has had a few flights into Boston and has visited a couple times.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:11 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to go back every year, but this year I just couldnt afford it.

So fingers crossed for next year

My Mum comes over at least twice a year, sometimes 3 times, and brings either my Dad or one of my Brothers with her each time, so i see most of my family fairly regularly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.