Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you go back to visit UK relatives?

I've lived in the US almost 2 years and I've been back to UK once (earlier this year) for 9 days.

I doubt I'll be visiting too often in the future due to a combination of cost, hassle of travelling from Louisiana, and lack of vacation.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:55 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

I try to get back once a year - may not be 12 months apart though. Each time I go I don't want to come back, which is soert of understandable. The worrying thing is that mrs T never wants to come back either.
The reason its worrying is that Mrs T's mom is coming with us this time and if SHE doesn't want to come back then I'm really screwed
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

I try to get back once a year - may not be 12 months apart though. Each time I go I don't want to come back, which is soert of understandable. The worrying thing is that mrs T never wants to come back either.
The reason its worrying is that Mrs T's mom is coming with us this time and if SHE doesn't want to come back then I'm really screwed

Well, you are all going back to Florida!

sorry, if it wasn't me, it would have been someone else...
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been back since 1996 when my mom passed away, and have no plans to go back.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here in April of 2008 and I've been back 3 times.

First was for my birthday in August 08. I'd only been gone for 4 months but it was nice to get home after feeling unsettled for several months with moving, finding an apartment etc.

Second was March 09. I made the mistake of going for too long. I was there for about 10 days, and I felt bored towards the end. That was the point when I realised that NY was starting to feel more like home to me. I didnt intend on going back until Xmas, but.....

Third was May 09. I didnt plan this one, but Millwall got to the League 1 playoff final at Wembley and I wasnt about to miss that! I was home for about 48 hours!

I'm aiming for at least twice, preferably 3 times a year. I'm going to limit myself to short breaks as well..i.e. long weekends.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I moved here in April of 2008 and I've been back 3 times. ..........
I'm aiming for at least twice, preferably 3 times a year. I'm going to limit myself to short breaks as well..i.e. long weekends.
Part of the difference is where folks live, & how convoluted and expensive the journey to the UK is. When we lived in inner suburban Boston, just an easy T-ride from Logan, we made several weekend trips to England; not only was it easy to get to the airport, and the flying time from Logan to London quite short, but prices from places like Boston and NY are competitive too.
Now that we live a couple of hours driving time from the airport, and the prices from that airport are much higher (Ottawa, Ontario) I doubt if I'd ever go to the UK for less than a week. For folks who have to get a domestic flight to get to the international flight, even more so..
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

We've been here almost 3 1/2 years and are leaving for our first trip back together next weekend! (DH had a trip back the first year by himself)
As with most jobs here, I only get 10 days a year off for holiday & sick time so it makes it tough to get back there.

His parents are retired and have been very good about coming to see us. They'll be here for Christmas - their 3rd visit since we've been here. I think they enjoy the Texas winters.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to insist on at least once a year, but it's been about 2-years now. Thinking of going at Christmas, but with a 2-year old and a 3-month old, the idea makes me cringe.

At a previous job in Dallas, I would go to Europe for the odd business trip. If I ever could, and I managed it a few times, I landed in London and had to transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick (or vice versa).

That would be a nightmare for some, but I would have my parents pick me up and the be the shuttle! Then we'd stop somewhere for lunch on the way. Then they would just drop me off at the airport and I would head on.

Was always a little funny to travel across the atlantic for lunch! For a couple of years that was my ONLY trip to the UK, and it was certainly better than nothing.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:41 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I used to insist on at least once a year, but it's been about 2-years now. Thinking of going at Christmas, but with a 2-year old and a 3-month old, the idea makes me cringe.

At a previous job in Dallas, I would go to Europe for the odd business trip. If I ever could, and I managed it a few times, I landed in London and had to transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick (or vice versa).

That would be a nightmare for some, but I would have my parents pick me up and the be the shuttle! Then we'd stop somewhere for lunch on the way. Then they would just drop me off at the airport and I would head on.

Was always a little funny to travel across the atlantic for lunch! For a couple of years that was my ONLY trip to the UK, and it was certainly better than nothing.
Oh I feel sorry for you, I have a enough problems getting myself back to Norfolk, if I fly into LHR I still have a 3 hours drive to mums, plus I have had to come from the west coast....if I fly directly to Norwich I have to change plans in the US and then again in Schipol, its like a round the world trip lol.

Hand up to those you that take kids
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

It is almost 5 years since I have been in the UK and I am going back next month. As I will be in Manchester I think I will take some pictures of Salford for the US to UK thread

It will be interesting to see how much things have changed.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:06 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family_Guy
It is almost 5 years since I have been in the UK and I am going back next month. As I will be in Manchester I think I will take some pictures of Salford for the US to UK thread

just give us a shout and I can send some to prepare you for the shock..
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family_Guy

I can't wait to see your pics, it's been almost 5 yrs since I was back that way
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We have been here four years and haven't been back
The first year we had lots of visitors which was really nice.
The second year we decided to see something of the US as we really didn't know how long we would be here.

The third year we were doing green card stuff and it just didn't work out that we could get back .

Now we have two kids in college here and we just can't afford it. We don't have family in the area we call home and we have different groups of friends who don't know each other and the whole thing just becaomes fraught. Plus OH only gets two weeks holiday a year and can't take them together so we can only go for a week.

Perhaps next year
I don't think they ever really "get" the two week thing over there with the tabloid papers saying they have the least hols in Europe all the time LOL. I can relate to friends in different places. Mine in London now have severed ties with me after I did not see them this year, after our first trip in five years because, I was in Cornwall with my aging Mother who saw Scarlett my 3 year old for the first time; and my son Sam 5, in over three years. I made suggestions for the London crew to meet me half way which, was ignored, then last minute they played the game "it would be a shame not to see you" meaning we had to get to them though we were spending a mere few hours in London the night before the flight back the next morning. Sorry but they make me sick. If they came here they would expect us to pick them up from the airport, put them up, take our vacation days off, feed them and drive them back to the airport then act like they did us a favor by coming here. I'm refuse to let those so called "friends" make me feel guilty.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:37 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I can't wait to see your pics, it's been almost 5 yrs since I was back that way
just for you...

Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Those pics very timely for me indeed!....we'll be right at the London Eye in 8 days time! First trip back in 2 years or so; going to have a (no doubt very tired) day in London to show our 3 year old Mary Poppins fan a few sights before taking the train up to my parents the next day.

Edit - I just realised these pics are not that...but still got me all excited

Last edited by Dan725; Oct 15th 2009 at 5:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.