Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Wikiposts

How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I regret posting this discussion outside of the Over 50s thread. It seems evident that most people who have jumped on here do not get the point of my posting: the manners of the Railway staff. Not the amount of luggage I brought when I emigrated. The story I related here was a sequel to my experiences since returning to the UK, and was not intended to find all the worst lurkers from other sites, but since it has: hey! Welcome. On the 50s thread we are polite to each other, helpful, caring, write to each other off site and other kind, mannerly behaviour. If you care to join in with us and can manage to stifle your ignorant use of the English language, then please do so. Otherwise you are going to be left to your own on this thread and have a great time slanging me. I don't know you, and from the postings you make, don't care to know you. You represent some of the worst manners that Britain can export overseas. Stay where you are or try to remember some of the manners your parents and grandparents were brought up with - I am that age group. Be nice, polite and positive, or push off.
Well said

You made your OP very easy to understand ...no idea why you received such backlash !
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I regret posting this discussion outside of the Over 50s thread. It seems evident that most people who have jumped on here do not get the point of my posting: the manners of the Railway staff. Not the amount of luggage I brought when I emigrated. The story I related here was a sequel to my experiences since returning to the UK, and was not intended to find all the worst lurkers from other sites, but since it has: hey! Welcome. On the 50s thread we are polite to each other, helpful, caring, write to each other off site and other kind, mannerly behaviour. If you care to join in with us and can manage to stifle your ignorant use of the English language, then please do so. Otherwise you are going to be left to your own on this thread and have a great time slanging me. I don't know you, and from the postings you make, don't care to know you. You represent some of the worst manners that Britain can export overseas. Stay where you are or try to remember some of the manners your parents and grandparents were brought up with - I am that age group. Be nice, polite and positive, or push off.
When I read your original post, my understanding was that you posted outside of the 50/60s thread as it was a "long story" and you were being polite, trying not to take up too much space.

From my short time being on here, I think people are delighted to read your posts, long or short, as they are both helpful and entertaining. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Well said

You made your OP very easy to understand ...no idea why you received such backlash !
What backlash? I have only seen one comment that seem a bit harsh and that has already been picked up on? What is the problem with this discussion? You have to expect that not everyone agrees on the same thing.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gmralston
What backlash? I have only seen one comment that seem a bit harsh and that has already been picked up on? What is the problem with this discussion? You have to expect that not everyone agrees on the same thing.
Actually I have read the OPs whole story ...her arriving in the UK her struggles, and how she is making things work .

I think one needs to know the whole story to 'get ' why I fell she received backlash in this post .

I expect that not everyone agrees ...obviously

Also ,because it has "already been picked up on " does that now render me mute,and unable to leave MY support /opinion ?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Actually I have read the OPs whole story ...her arriving in the UK her struggles, and how she is making things work .

I think one needs to know the whole story to 'get ' why I fell she received backlash in this post .

I expect that not everyone agrees ...obviously

Also ,because it has "already been picked up on " does that now render me mute,and unable to leave MY support /opinion ?
I am regular visitor of MBTUK section, imo it's one the best in this site, but I don't post often, maybe that makes me one of these lurkers. I know very little about the OPs story as I don't venture into the over 50s thread. I did however read this story carefully and I too think that it was too much for one person to carry.

There is something I agree with though, some, not many as most are good, just some staff at London stations can very very rude. There was one chap at the ticket desk at Ealing Broadway that I refused to be served by in the end as he was so grumpy and obnoxious every single day, I hated the fact that part my ticket was paying his wages. So if the OP encounted one of that ilk then I don't doubt her version of events one bit.

So do make allowances for those of us who do not know whole story, we only go by what we read on this thread.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmralston
I am regular visitor of MBTUK section, imo it's one the best in this site, but I don't post often, maybe that makes me one of these lurkers. I know very little about the OPs story as I don't venture into the over 50s thread. I did however read this story carefully and I too think that it was too much for one person to carry.

There is something I agree with though, some, not many as most are good, just some staff at London stations can very very rude. There was one chap at the ticket desk at Ealing Broadway that I refused to be served by in the end as he was so grumpy and obnoxious every single day, I hated the fact that part my ticket was paying his wages. So if the OP encounted one of that ilk then I don't doubt her version of events one bit.

So do make allowances for those of us who do not know whole story, we only go by what we read on this thread.
OK, I will make allowances in the future ...if you will still suffer my posts when you think something is done and dusted lol

Some staff at the railway stations are beyond belief (I agree) I remember trying to get help with my sons buggy when I was pregnant (a few steps )
You would think I had asked this chap to swing it round his head with one arm