Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Wikiposts

How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Islandwoman sorry to hear about all your trials and tribulations with the great BR system, keep smiling I know you are My approach is to say that even with all these issues we encounter day to day they are still not enough to want to make me rush back to the US where the same issues exist but the 'whole' is still something less than where I am. After all we do not move for the people we do it for ourselves!

My contribution is this. Has anyone had this experience. Good old Royal Mail. In the last 6 weeks. I have had two items lost never to be seen as yet. Mail from the USA posted at the beginning of December is now beginning to arrive at the beginning of January. All priced correctly for airmail. Don't know really if this was the USPS or RM but most likely one in the same for efficiency. But this occurrence takes the biscuit (so nice to write biscuit not cookie):

Before Xmas, sat in elderly parents home. We actually heard the postman (not person I know the gender) drop the mail through the box. Car was on drive. In with the letters was one of those pre filled out notes saying that he had tried to deliver a parcel but no one was at home We called the local Post Office and low and behold the postie at the depot said the parcel was there. After having a good laugh I put on my snow shoes and walked the 1/4 mile to the depot. I passed the original postman on the way. I collected the parcel. I passed the postman on the way back and was no doubt home enjoying my tea before he reached the depot. Oh the parcel was about the size of a normal paperback.

I did ask the post office manager as best I could without laughing to please remind his employee that if he was going to be lazy at least have the efficiency and gumption to do it properly.

Two lessons. Don't pay Amazon or anyone else extra for delivery with the RM, it matters not. And remember the average work ethic in the UK remains pre 1979!

But I still would not choose to live anywhere else
So far I have had two Christmas cards from the UK, one last Friday, one just yesterday, still waiting for the rest from my family ..........blame it on the snow.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
The first bit of common sense I've seen on this thread! That said, I think the OP's confusion arose from the fact that she was able to get some railway employees to go the extra mile to help in earlier situations, but as she has found out this cannot (and should not) be relied upon. I don't believe railways porters outlived the days of steam by much, and even then the amount of luggage she was carrying would have been taking the piss.
I agree totally.

They used to have a great service (when it was still British Rail) called Passengers' Luggage in Advance, where you could send it ahead.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The guy who helped initially probably broke all the rules of his employment. They are possibly told not to assist with actual moving of luggage if they are not fully trained up in the process. Health and Safety you know........
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave99
I dont understand this thread. You take a silly amont of luggage with you that you cannot carry and then you are suprised when you have difficulty?
If you cannot carry it then you should pay to have it sent by courier to your destination. It seems you wanted to avoid this expense so instead decided to create a situation.
I have travelled by train many times all over the world and would never take more than I could carry and just assume that other people would carry my things for me.
Funny My Wife and I will be travelling from Bangkok to Heathrow, with Three very heavy items each. How do you think folks move things? Price decides the method - if you have it, then you can send it by express, something or other, but if you don't then, you have to use the best available. We are not all Rothschild. Perahps you are flush for a few $$$s

Last edited by dontheturner; Jan 5th 2011 at 4:23 pm. Reason: E&OE
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Funny My Wife and I will be travelling from Bangkok to Heathrow, with Three very heavy items each. How do you think folks move things? Price decides the method - if you have it, then you can send it by express, something or other, but if you don't then, you have to use the best available. We are not all Rothschild. Perahps you are flush for a few $$$s
Do porters still exist at railway stations? I think you will find that customer service assistants are not porters. They are there to help with wheelchairs, give visitors directions, that kind of thing. Carrying luggage through London is royal pain in ass, bad enough with one suitecase but the amount the OP was carrying is taking the piss.

Anyway you may have to be Rothschild to pay the airlines baggage excess charges. 4 large suitecases, 1 large sack plus large carry bags and laptop cases by rail in any country is asking for grief.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
Do porters still exist at railway stations? I think you will find that customer service assistants are not porters. They are there to help with wheelchairs, give visitors directions, that kind of thing. Carrying luggage through London is royal pain in ass, bad enough with one suitecase but the amount the OP was carrying is taking the piss.

Anyway you may have to be Rothschild to pay the airlines baggage excess charges. 4 large suitecases, 1 large sack plus large carry bags and laptop cases by rail in any country is asking for grief.
Hi Don_Angel Not so. Check out excess baggage on the BA site, and it is way cheaper than using Parcel carrier from Thailand. We are doing both, but BA is 1/3rd the cost. Regards dontheturner
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:08 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't afford to transport your freight then why do you expect some poor bugger to down tools from his job and lug it for free? It's not rocket surgery - if you can carry it then take it, if you can afford it then freight it, if neither then ditch it.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't afford to transport your freight then why do you expect some poor bugger to down tools from his job and lug it for free? It's not rocket surgery - if you can carry it then take it, if you can afford it then freight it, if neither then ditch it.
All very well when you understand the customs and mores of the country, but the OP doesn't. I can't count the number of things I misunderstood when I came here - perhaps you're amazingly gifted at cultural assimilation and don't have those issues, but spare a thought for us lesser mortals.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

sorry the person is a bloody pratt.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fulwood
sorry the person is a bloody pratt.
what person ?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that is..rocket science....just sayin!!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh jeeze we are attracting a right lot from all over the board
I would have thought there were trolleys at least to help people with luggage, it isn't a local bus going a mile down the road it's a train, people go all over the country on them not just to work.
If you aren't supposed to take luggage they should state that when you book a ticket, online or at the station.
My friends and I went to and from College by train, luggage, boxes you name it, the railway staff were always helpful, lifting and helping us get stuff on and off the train. They'd even load us and our stuff in the railway lifts to get us across to other platforms. So I would have been as surprised as the OP the way she was spoken too had I turned up with lots of luggage.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh! Sorry Tonrob? Who said I wanted ''some poor bugger to lug it for free?'' Go Away. I didn't ask for rudeness from you. Where I was brought up, you paid people to do jobs. Some used to be called ''Labourers'' - but then, you are too ignorant to be aware of that. we folks on this site, try to HELP each other, not make abusive comments. For your information, I have a heart problem, and am 80 years of age. dontheturner.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Hi Don_Angel Not so. Check out excess baggage on the BA site, and it is way cheaper than using Parcel carrier from Thailand. We are doing both, but BA is 1/3rd the cost. Regards dontheturner
I know what you saying but really I was refering to the amount of luggage the op was travelling with. I have done it myself but with nothing like the same amount, landing at gatwick with 2 heavy suitcases , staying overnight in a cheap London hotel with the staircase the same width as my suite cases then making my way Heathrow the next morning, it was hard work.

I really enjoy London but it's steps everywhere that really get to me when I have luggage, some tube stations still have no lifts. I remember once having to cart one heavy case up the old brass tipped stairs, leave it at the top and run down to get the other one, hoping nobody pinches them in the process. I have since learnt the way to do it by using step free stations, takes a bit longer but it can be done.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I regret posting this discussion outside of the Over 50s thread. It seems evident that most people who have jumped on here do not get the point of my posting: the manners of the Railway staff. Not the amount of luggage I brought when I emigrated. The story I related here was a sequel to my experiences since returning to the UK, and was not intended to find all the worst lurkers from other sites, but since it has: hey! Welcome. On the 50s thread we are polite to each other, helpful, caring, write to each other off site and other kind, mannerly behaviour. If you care to join in with us and can manage to stifle your ignorant use of the English language, then please do so. Otherwise you are going to be left to your own on this thread and have a great time slanging me. I don't know you, and from the postings you make, don't care to know you. You represent some of the worst manners that Britain can export overseas. Stay where you are or try to remember some of the manners your parents and grandparents were brought up with - I am that age group. Be nice, polite and positive, or push off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.