Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Wikiposts

How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How not to behave in a London Railway Station (long)

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think the service you received at Ipswich was the exception rather than the rule, you had great service and then of course we expect it to continue from other staff in the same industry, unfortunatly that doesn't always happen, a bit like JJ getting rubbish service from one bank and great service from the next.....

I'm not sure which railway companies you used, but I did find it all a bit confusing I have to say. The previous times I had travelled on trains was a LONG time ago in the days of British Rail, where it all seemed to be as one.....now you have all these little companies doing their own thing. So for instance travelling from Windermere it would be on First Transpennine, then change at Oxenholme and then it would be on to a Virgin Pendolino, both different companies with their own sets of rules and fares and of course service levels. I think it used to cost me about £36 return to Runcorn and I could never get it any cheaper, booking it online, paying last minute whatever. Yet my sister can get a Virgin Pendolino return all the way from Runcorn to London (!!) for 20 quid if she books in advance online!!!

And Rosie I am not 100% sure here, but I don't think Frome station is manned full time, the few times I departed to Bath or wherever on a Saturday it seemed deserted and I had to buy a ticket from the train conductor so don't show up with all those bags LOL!!
Frome station is manned half days only - office closes at 12 noon. When I first visited the area, I changed at Westbury - no bags, just my overnight things! And whilst I was waiting for the connecting train, I got talking to a man who happened to live in Frome, he also happened to be a theatre director, and was returning from an Australian trip. Long story short, when we got to Frome, he phoned for a taxi from the yellow 'taxi' phone at the statin, and offered me a ride into town on his dime. He warned me about the station being an unmanned one, and wea talked about the fact that the train line is so quaint because you can ask the conductor to stop at specific train halts, and if you are at one of those halts, you can flag down the train as it approaches! I had not heard of that outside of movies about the 1940s or thereabouts, so I am still fascinated with the idea. Maybe in the spring or summer I will take a train ride to see for myself. Yes, the fact that the train lines are separately owned, and the lines are also separately owned, makes it difficult to know who to complain to or who to thank when things go wrong/right. I am sorry that you think I had an unusual experience at Ipswich - that, to me, should be the norm. There I go, showing my naivete again I guess...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derren7
Welcome to the UK!!!
After living in the US and Australia too I'd say "welcome to the world" unfortunately. Although since I've been back I've noticed how terrible people's work-to-rule motto is.

I had someone to install Sky tv and we had to move my tv bracket a tiny bit, as I'd just arrived I had no tools and the bloke told me "I don't have a screwdriver, I don't bring my toolbox"! After all if he had he may have been forced to help me out a tiny bit!

Washing machine installers, landlord and his odd-job man have all demonstrated that everyone tries really hard to do as little as possible - or nothing if they can get away with it. It's slightly better in the US but only because they expect you to dig into your pocket and give them a big fat tip!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Frome station is manned half days only - office closes at 12 noon. When I first visited the area, I changed at Westbury - no bags, just my overnight things! And whilst I was waiting for the connecting train, I got talking to a man who happened to live in Frome, he also happened to be a theatre director, and was returning from an Australian trip. Long story short, when we got to Frome, he phoned for a taxi from the yellow 'taxi' phone at the statin, and offered me a ride into town on his dime. He warned me about the station being an unmanned one, and wea talked about the fact that the train line is so quaint because you can ask the conductor to stop at specific train halts, and if you are at one of those halts, you can flag down the train as it approaches! I had not heard of that outside of movies about the 1940s or thereabouts, so I am still fascinated with the idea. Maybe in the spring or summer I will take a train ride to see for myself. Yes, the fact that the train lines are separately owned, and the lines are also separately owned, makes it difficult to know who to complain to or who to thank when things go wrong/right. I am sorry that you think I had an unusual experience at Ipswich - that, to me, should be the norm. There I go, showing my naivete again I guess...
Oh yes that quaint service cost me 56 quid on my last day in Frome, I can't remember the actual logistics now but somehow the train out of there to connect with my last train in Bath Spa and oop North was somehow all jumbled up and my train DID appear albeit with a different destination on the front, so I didn't get on, then waited.......waited.........then nothing and myself and some other disgruntled passengers who had not got on also realised the train that DID appear was supposed to be ours, they trundled off back home to Frome but I had to make the connection to get back oop North as I had given up my home in Frome and had nowhere to go back to LOL........I got a receipt off the taxi driver and was going to claim back off the local railway authority for misinformation and bad management but I think the receipt is still in my laptop bag and I got too confused and gave up in the end............

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 4th 2011 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
After living in the US and Australia too I'd say "welcome to the world" unfortunately. Although since I've been back I've noticed how terrible people's work-to-rule motto is.

I had someone to install Sky tv and we had to move my tv bracket a tiny bit, as I'd just arrived I had no tools and the bloke told me "I don't have a screwdriver, I don't bring my toolbox"! After all if he had he may have been forced to help me out a tiny bit!

Washing machine installers, landlord and his odd-job man have all demonstrated that everyone tries really hard to do as little as possible - or nothing if they can get away with it. It's slightly better in the US but only because they expect you to dig into your pocket and give them a big fat tip!
I hired a "local" handyman to do a few jobs at my house. His ad said "lowest proces guaranteed", but when he arrived he had left an important tool at home so he went back to get it. He was gone for an hour - an hour that he subsequently added to the bill!

My personal experiences with tradesmen (not many tradeswomen around here - maybe that's the problem!) is that they don't return your calls, don't clean up after themselves (how difficult is it to sweep up and throw out stuff, rather than sweep it under the floorboards?), don't turn up on time (or don't turn up at all!), don't follow up on promised tasks - I'm amazed some of them are even in work.

If I had a grown child looking to earn a living, I'd tell them to learn a trade and be reliable and they will never be out of work. Reliable, honest tradespeople are like gold dust!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:22 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
I hired a "local" handyman to do a few jobs at my house. His ad said "lowest proces guaranteed", but when he arrived he had left an important tool at home so he went back to get it. He was gone for an hour - an hour that he subsequently added to the bill!

My personal experiences with tradesmen (not many tradeswomen around here - maybe that's the problem!) is that they don't return your calls, don't clean up after themselves (how difficult is it to sweep up and throw out stuff, rather than sweep it under the floorboards?), don't turn up on time (or don't turn up at all!), don't follow up on promised tasks - I'm amazed some of them are even in work.

If I had a grown child looking to earn a living, I'd tell them to learn a trade and be reliable and they will never be out of work. Reliable, honest tradespeople are like gold dust!
Hi dunroving, we had similar experiences with tradesmen bodgers here too.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:41 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Islandwoman sorry to hear about all your trials and tribulations with the great BR system, keep smiling I know you are My approach is to say that even with all these issues we encounter day to day they are still not enough to want to make me rush back to the US where the same issues exist but the 'whole' is still something less than where I am. After all we do not move for the people we do it for ourselves!

My contribution is this. Has anyone had this experience. Good old Royal Mail. In the last 6 weeks. I have had two items lost never to be seen as yet. Mail from the USA posted at the beginning of December is now beginning to arrive at the beginning of January. All priced correctly for airmail. Don't know really if this was the USPS or RM but most likely one in the same for efficiency. But this occurrence takes the biscuit (so nice to write biscuit not cookie):

Before Xmas, sat in elderly parents home. We actually heard the postman (not person I know the gender) drop the mail through the box. Car was on drive. In with the letters was one of those pre filled out notes saying that he had tried to deliver a parcel but no one was at home We called the local Post Office and low and behold the postie at the depot said the parcel was there. After having a good laugh I put on my snow shoes and walked the 1/4 mile to the depot. I passed the original postman on the way. I collected the parcel. I passed the postman on the way back and was no doubt home enjoying my tea before he reached the depot. Oh the parcel was about the size of a normal paperback.

I did ask the post office manager as best I could without laughing to please remind his employee that if he was going to be lazy at least have the efficiency and gumption to do it properly.

Two lessons. Don't pay Amazon or anyone else extra for delivery with the RM, it matters not. And remember the average work ethic in the UK remains pre 1979!

But I still would not choose to live anywhere else

Last edited by confusedenglishrose; Jan 4th 2011 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

That annoys me. I hope you didn't pay him for that hour, easier said than done I know. I would say to mention as he left that "you getting your toold isn't charged to me right?" or similar. Also, always ask for the part if they're replacing something and ask up front. That way he knows you won't let him fob you off saying he changed this or that when he only tightened a screw. If you don't ask him first he'll say it was thrown out or at the warehouse after one of his frequent trips away (to the cafe/pub) during his visit.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Islandwoman sorry to hear about all your trials and tribulations with the great BR system, keep smiling I know you are My approach is to say that even with all these issues we encounter day to day they are still not enough to want to make me rush back to the US where the same issues exist but the 'whole' is still something less than where I am. After all we do not move for the people we do it for ourselves!

My contribution is this. Has anyone had this experience. Good old Royal Mail. In the last 6 weeks. I have had two items lost never to be seen as yet. Mail from the USA posted at the beginning of December is now beginning to arrive at the beginning of January. All priced correctly for airmail. Don't know really if this was the USPS or RM but most likely one in the same for efficiency. But this occurrence takes the biscuit (so nice to write biscuit not cookie):

Before Xmas, sat in elderly parents home. We actually heard the postman (not person I know the gender) drop the mail through the box. Car was on drive. In with the letters was one of those pre filled out notes saying that he had tried to deliver a parcel but no one was at home We called the local Post Office and low and behold the postie at the depot said the parcel was there. After having a good laugh I put on my snow shoes and walked the 1/4 mile to the depot. I passed the original postman on the way. I collected the parcel. I passed the postman on the way back and was no doubt home enjoying my tea before he reached the depot. Oh the parcel was about the size of a normal paperback.

I did ask the post office manager as best I could without laughing to please remind his employee that if he was going to be lazy at least have the efficiency and gumption to do it properly.

Two lessons. Don't pay Amazon or anyone else extra for delivery with the RM, it matters not. And remember the average work ethic in the UK remains pre 1979!

But I still would not choose to live anywhere else
I am not posting these 'interesting' occurrences in order to tell anyone else not to come here! I regard this forum as my diary, and note these events for information and/or amusement. I am enjoying the journey as it is, and find some of the people quite folksy (OK, so I am in Somerset, could not resist that phrase - there are some very odd looking people here, especially today as it is Market Day in Frome) and I am not being critical, just making a note of the facts. I have discovered that, if I use my American eye and comment on something, others can take it as a negative, when it is not meant that way, My London friends thought I was being negative when I was not, so I am guessing it is the different way of looking at the same thing. Maybe I should start a blog and put all these thoughts into that. I love the trains, and the idiot a Paddington will not prevent me from using the service, but as I said before, I do not like London crowds and chaos, so I will head down to old haunts in Devon next time I get the urge to travel. By the way, the primroses are blooming in the plant boxes around Frome... they must be really hardy. Just thought I would change the tone of this thread to a more positive one.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:59 am

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not posting these 'interesting' occurrences in order to tell anyone else not to come here! I regard this forum as my diary, and note these events for information and/or amusement. I am enjoying the journey as it is, and find some of the people quite folksy (OK, so I am in Somerset, could not resist that phrase - there are some very odd looking people here, especially today as it is Market Day in Frome) and I am not being critical, just making a note of the facts. I have discovered that, if I use my American eye and comment on something, others can take it as a negative, when it is not meant that way, My London friends thought I was being negative when I was not, so I am guessing it is the different way of looking at the same thing. Maybe I should start a blog and put all these thoughts into that. I love the trains, and the idiot a Paddington will not prevent me from using the service, but as I said before, I do not like London crowds and chaos, so I will head down to old haunts in Devon next time I get the urge to travel. By the way, the primroses are blooming in the plant boxes around Frome... they must be really hardy. Just thought I would change the tone of this thread to a more positive one.
IslandW - whoops was not meaning to be negative or to possibly suggest you were. Certainly not offended by any of your posts. I follow them quite avidly as I work through my own decisions.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand this thread. You take a silly amont of luggage with you that you cannot carry and then you are suprised when you have difficulty?

If you cannot carry it then you should pay to have it sent by courier to your destination. It seems you wanted to avoid this expense so instead decided to create a situation.

I have travelled by train many times all over the world and would never take more than I could carry and just assume that other people would carry my things for me.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave99
I dont understand this thread. You take a silly amont of luggage with you that you cannot carry and then you are suprised when you have difficulty?

If you cannot carry it then you should pay to have it sent by courier to your destination. It seems you wanted to avoid this expense so instead decided to create a situation.

I have travelled by train many times all over the world and would never take more than I could carry and just assume that other people would carry my things for me.
Boy you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! You do not know me, do not know my story (yes, we all have one) so get off my case. Now.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Bit harsh. Didn't she mention that there had been couriers in the past and at other stations?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:34 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The first bit of common sense I've seen on this thread! That said, I think the OP's confusion arose from the fact that she was able to get some railway employees to go the extra mile to help in earlier situations, but as she has found out this cannot (and should not) be relied upon. I don't believe railways porters outlived the days of steam by much, and even then the amount of luggage she was carrying would have been taking the piss.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Boy you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! You do not know me, do not know my story (yes, we all have one) so get off my case. Now.
Which one? Apparently you have tons of them!

Sorry - couldn't resist
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:18 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I met someone in this situation. He liked to do home stuff and was pretty skilled at it so he helped friends and word got around and he began to do it for money. Mostly smaller jobs, especially for elderly people. He wasn't greedy in his prices and he did a good job. Demand grew and grew and he took on some other guys, but always carefully so they'd follow his way of doing it.

Ended up with a thriving business without planning it just by doing a decent job without ripping people off.

BTW, I think the trouble with railway stations and many airports is that with wheeled suitcases most people fend for themselves. If there are people there to help they mostly have no work.

I got off a train in Toronto with a big wheelie case and was okay, but a guy was there with a trolley offering help. I thought, why should I struggle with this hefty case when a few dollars will make this guy happy. It was great and he knew where my friend was likely to be parked, found her, loaded the case into the car. A good $5 in my mind!

Bev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.