Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How much money are you taking back?

How much money are you taking back?

Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Default Re: How much money are you taking back?

Originally Posted by nun
If you are a US citizen or resident the US tax authorities require you to inform them of all foreign accounts when their aggregate total is $10k or more. So to make my US taxes simpler I plan to keep my UK accounts below $10k and make regular transfers from the US.
Hello everyone, does anyone know if its 10,000 dollars or 10,000 pounds, that you need to keep below?

Thank you.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I would assume it's dollors since they deal with so many different currencies .
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:47 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
Hello everyone, does anyone know if its 10,000 dollars or 10,000 pounds, that you need to keep below?

Thank you.
Its an IRS limit so its in US dollars. It's not a really big deal if you go over the $10k, it just means you have to file the FBAR form. The big deal is if you fail to file the FBAR and the IRS catches you as the fines are high. There are no US tax consequences as such as you will have been declaring all the interest and gains on any foreign accounts to the IRS anyway as required by US law.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

Thank you. I am moving back to the UK after 24 years in florida. The tax thing is the most confussing to me.

I have learnt a lot from this site, and still learning.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:03 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
Thank you. I am moving back to the UK after 24 years in florida. The tax thing is the most confussing to me.

I have learnt a lot from this site, and still learning.
Here is another site that you might find helpful

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=11.0

If you are a US citizen or have US investments you'll have to file a US taxes and probably also a UK self assessment form. Areas that can be quite complex are pensions and payments from things like 401ks and IRAs and the fact that the UK and US tax years are different. If you have any worries use the forums for questions and you can also get professional help.