Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How much of a factor is ageing and healthcare?

How much of a factor is ageing and healthcare?

Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much of a factor is ageing and healthcare?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i don't know the answer to that not reaching 65 YET lol!! obviously not all the said work colleagues med bills are being covered otherwise he says he'd have retired a few yrs ago.

today on the news one state is trying to impose an ambulance charge which the peeps don't think the insurance companies will cover.
It's means tested, isn't it? If you have a house you have to pay for your own drugs and, no, you can't sign the house over to the kids at the last minute.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know the answer to that not reaching 65 YET lol!! obviously not all the said work colleagues med bills are being covered otherwise he says he'd have retired a few yrs ago.

today on the news one state is trying to impose an ambulance charge which the peeps don't think the insurance companies will cover.
Insurance companies will normally cover ambulance charges if there is an overnight stay...if not you have to foot the bill or get yourself to the ER.

Apart from the cost of healthcare and meds it's the red tape, paperwork and battles with the ins companies that scares me. How do the elderly cope with it all?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 9th 2007 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

My parents lived in Spain for nearly 30 years, loved it, but came back to the UK last year for health reasons. They really, really, really miss Spain. Every day they talk about going back, but it just not feasible anymore because of their health. They miss spending an hour in a cafe with a coffee that costs a couple of euro, sat in the sunshine etc. BUT, they were tired of having to speak Spanish when they didn't feel well (my dad was in the ICU a while back and it's hard to focus on the right words in a foreign language when your dad may be dying). Plus we would have family discussions on what the doctor had said in Spanish and what he really meant...So, I think the main plus for being back in the UK is that they know the language, do not need to worry that they are going to miss something in translation and they have family and friends around them. They will never move back to Spain now. As far as the US goes, I do NOT want to be here when I am 70! I couldn't think of anything more horrific. Terrible medical bills, no close family, having to drive to most places, violent society etc.
Dunroving, I have read many of your posts recently and I know that you are seriously thinking of coming back to the US. How about you come back here earn some money and then retire in the UK? I have met many americans who have retired in the UK. If it's on your mind, you should explore your options. You may be 50, but you've got many years ahead of you yet! Good luck and keep us posted on your potential move.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's means tested, isn't it? If you have a house you have to pay for your own drugs and, no, you can't sign the house over to the kids at the last minute.
You can put it in an irrevockable trust but there's a five year exemption.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
. How do the elderly cope with it all?
they keep working till they drop like a collegues of my OH's...poor old boy is 78 and is still working full time to meet their $3000 mthly med costs....
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

they keep working till they drop like a collegues of my OH's...poor old boy is 78 and is still working full time to meet their $3000 mthly med costs....
Many of my husband's collegues are the same...well into their 70's but still working full time. Most times it's because while they are working they have healthcare insurance.

I meant take the cost out of the equation...it's still a nightmare for the elderly...all the paper work, arguments with the insurance companies etc.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

For me I'm still relatively young, mid 30's and my parents have just turned 60. My mother is still going fairly strong, but my father is not as fit as he used to be. Not sick or anything but the aches and pains are starting.

I don't want to be taking a call from my sister or brother saying that one of my parents is not too well and could I come home to see them.

It's something that I've discussed with a lot of my friends here and a lot of them think the same. The general idea for a lot of them was to work in the US to save some money and then go back, but with an exchange rate of 2.1USD=1GBP, that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.