Wikiposts

how much for..........

Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default how much for..........

I would like to know the cost of things back in the UK now..

Basic food items to give me an idea....

Gas..... oops petrol I mean....

Telephone..... I heard it said it cheap to have a cellphone instead of home phone.... Thinking perhaps hubby and I have a cellphone each and no home phone.... Not sure of cost...

Electric/gas etc...

basically anything you can think of to help me budget

Oh... FYO..... This is for a family of 6.... hubby, me, 4 kids ages 13,10,8 & 8

Thanks in advance....
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

for cost of food, try: www.sainsbury.co.uk, www.tesco.co.uk

for phones: www.bt.com (obvious choice), www.carphonewarehouse.co.uk
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much.... But you have to register to see the prices of groceries, I allready tried there. Using a UK post code works but then it needs the address and personal details for a club card.

BT is just as confusing as ever.... LOL.... But gave me an idea.

Thank you..

Anyone else....??

Oh... What about TV and computer connection... I want the fastest Internet conection.... Have timewarner cable here and it's great..

Last edited by honeymommy; Apr 21st 2004 at 2:00 am.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

You can register, that's not a problem, is it? They don't ask for your credit card number, so make sure you put UK postcode in and off you go.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:24 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much for..........

Originally posted by honeymommy

Telephone..... I heard it said it cheap to have a cellphone instead of home phone.... Thinking perhaps hubby and I have a cellphone each and no home phone.... Not sure of cost...
Sorry, no pound sign - US keyboard!

4 pints milk about GBP1.10 (supermarket)/ 1 pint milk about GBP0.43 (milkman delivery).
Bread about GBP0.70/loaf (supermarket)
Can baked beans GBP0.20 (supermarket)
Can mushy peas GBP0.15 (supermarket)
Eggs GBP1.00/doz (local smallholder).
As the previous poster suggested, sign up to one of the online services for the supermarkets to see more relevant stuff.

Petrol GBP0.75-0.80/litre depending on area

Broadband 600K about GBP20/month (1Mb is fastest available)

Phones - lots of plans available for landlines and mobiles. Really depends on usage rquirements eg landline bog standard service GBP10-15/month, unlimited UK calls for GBP25/month. Too many mobile plans to summarise but a google.co.uk search (check the UK only pages) should turn up some info. Major providers include (in no particular order) Vodafone, O2, Orange, Virgin, T-mobile plus some supermarkets.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:41 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by acer rose
Sorry, no pound sign - US keyboard!
I have a US keyboard too. To make a £ sign press the alt key hold it down then type 0163

Lots of other alt keys can be found here
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks LOTL for the Alt Keys - I always wondered how they made the different symbols that are not common to your average keyboard.

So Honeymommy - Have you heard yet??
Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

OneTel (www.onetel.co.uk) is great. You can have it with a BT phone, there's no extra rental for the OneTel, you just pay for calls billed 1 month in arrears. It's 3p/min to the US.

OneTel usually do special offers on mobiles around Xmas where you get the actual mobile free. Rental is £4.99/month, calls 3p/min Sat/Sun, 5p evenings, 15p peak.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Thanks LOTL for the Alt Keys - I always wondered how they made the different symbols that are not common to your average keyboard.

So Honeymommy - Have you heard yet??
There... You had to go and do it didn't you.... LOL You had to ask... ARGHHHH!!!!!

No news... Immigration uncooperative, says to go through immigration lawyer. Immigration lawyer says she is making more calls.
Haven't heard from congress, but did hear back from Arnold Schwarzeneggers office basically they can only help if its federal....

We have 6 weeks left.... I hope and pray we get the news soon and it is possitive so we can stay...

If I grow out my highlights I can almost guarantee I will be white now.... :scared:

So I thought I'd get an idea of cost of living back in UK to see if we can afford to eat..... LOL

Thanks for asking though.... ((((((hug)))))))))))
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't envy your situation hm..........

chin up mush
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by manc1976
I really don't envy your situation hm..........

chin up mush
Thanks for the reply... Made me cry now...w aaaaaaaa.

My dad used to say chin up mush.....

I am turning into an emotional bag case...... :scared:

On the other side though... I have a wicked nurse sense of humor and can make some very sick jokes about our situation to pass the time... Thing is hubby still doesn't get them even after 13 yrs together... LOL S'OK though I know THAT look...And know when to stop and call a girlfriend I used to nurse with...

I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone. But we will live thorugh it. Thanks for the post.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

So.....

How much to get my white hair... oops... brown highlighted hair done in the UK then.... I pay $120 to have two tone highlights here.....

Oh thats if I am not bald if made to return....
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Squirrel
OneTel (www.onetel.co.uk) is great. You can have it with a BT phone, there's no extra rental for the OneTel, you just pay for calls billed 1 month in arrears. It's 3p/min to the US.

OneTel usually do special offers on mobiles around Xmas where you get the actual mobile free. Rental is £4.99/month, calls 3p/min Sat/Sun, 5p evenings, 15p peak.

Wow... Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to hear.... Nice and cheap....
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow... Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to hear.... Nice and cheap....

Thanks ACER ROSE for the items price.... A great help...

I found the ASDA site and didn't need to register... I found my salivary glands at work just thinking about a nice bacon sandwich.... and so cheap....
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:47 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Electric/gas etc...

basically anything you can think of to help me budget

Oh... FYO..... This is for a family of 6.... hubby, me, 4 kids ages 13,10,8 & 8

Thanks in advance....

I used onetel for long distance and international calls. i preferred BT. on the other hand. you can have all your utilities on one company.

dual gas and electricity- depends on where u live

telephone, broadband/internet and satellite/cable- i think some also do gas and elec. you pay for 4 and they throw in one free.

food will cost the same here but in pounds. basically its going to be twice as expensive as the salaries are higher here.

cell phones- 02 is cheapest of the major brands. i wouldnt go for onetel unless you hardly use your mobile phone. for emergency use only. i had t-mobile on 18 quid over there. here i pay 50 bucks. but thats cause cell phones havent really caught over here.

ASDA is cheap. but some people complain about the quality. i shopped at ASDA frequently as it was a stone's throw away from my house.

internet is cheaper in the US, will cost you the same in pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.