Reload this Page >

How long must we stay in UK to be domiciled again

How long must we stay in UK to be domiciled again

Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:16 am
Just Joined

MKG2412 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How long must we stay in UK to be domiciled again

Hi all

We have been in Hong Kong for over 20 years and are no longer domiciled in the UK. Retirement coming up and we are looking at what happens now.

Can anyone advise how long we need to spend in the UK to become UK domiciled/ UK residents again?

Much appreciate any info.

Cheers
Margaret
Old Feb 18th 2016, 5:02 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long must we stay in UK to be domiciled again

Originally Posted by MKG2412
Hi all

We have been in Hong Kong for over 20 years and are no longer domiciled in the UK. Retirement coming up and we are looking at what happens now.

Can anyone advise how long we need to spend in the UK to become UK domiciled/ UK residents again?

Much appreciate any info.

Cheers
Margaret
I'm not sure you understand the difference between residence and domicile. You could well still be UK domiciled and if you return to the UK with the intention of staying you will become UK resident.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Hi Nun

Thanks for the quick response.

We are definitely non-dom (non domiciled in the UK) according to the relevant authorities in the UK because we have lived away for over 20 years.

We are holders of UK passports and have paid our NI contributions up to date.

We are trying to find out the process where we will be classed as UK domiciled again. I believe there is a residency requirement for this to happen. i.e live for xxx days in the UK to be classed as UK domiciled again.

Trying to find out if it is 30 days or 90 days for example.

This would then need to be factored into our retirement plans to take into account the number of days we need to be in the UK in the first year of making the move back.

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this issue.

Margaret
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:06 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Is this for tax purposes? If so, you will be domiciled from the date you make the UK your main home.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Hi

No it is not for tax purposes. We will be retired. We plan to travel and want to be uk domiciled before planning it out but need to know what conditions we need to meet to be classed as domiciled again.

Thanks
Margaret
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:21 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

So if not tax, what is your concern?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No it is not for tax purposes. We will be retired. We plan to travel and want to be uk domiciled before planning it out but need to know what conditions we need to meet to be classed as domiciled again.

Thanks
Margaret
You will be classed as UK resident/domiciled once you have arrived and can provide a UK address, you will be entitled to NHS as soon as you set up home in the UK. As you are British Citizens then you don't have any qualifying period. Benefits (such as housing etc.) might just be delayed for a few months
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:28 am
Just Joined

As I hear it. To qualify us to go back into the national health system i.e dental, doctors etc we need to become domiciled again. Thus trying to find out what the requirements are to become domiciled. We have paid all our NI contributions.

Hope this helps understand why I am asking.

Margaret
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You will be classed as UK resident/domiciled once you have arrived and can provide a UK address, you will be entitled to NHS as soon as you set up home in the UK. As you are British Citizens then you don't have any qualifying period. Benefits (such as housing etc.) might just be delayed for a few months

Thanks for this. Much appreciate the info.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:35 am
Was in Canada, now home.

For the NHS the test is whether you are 'ordinarily resident'. In practice that means from the day you arrive.

The NHS is not linked to NI contributions, but you have been wise to keep your NI contributions going, because you will get a pension.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

As I hear it. To qualify us to go back into the national health system i.e dental, doctors etc we need to become domiciled again. Thus trying to find out what the requirements are to become domiciled. We have paid all our NI contributions.

Margaret
You will be classed as domiciled as soon as you can provide them with an address, you are entitled to use the NHS from day 1 when you arrive back, you may be asked to sign some sort of form that says you are resident, but it's no problem. Please do not overthink this, you are British Citizens and entitled, if you live in the UK, to free NHS treatment. Just go to you nearest health centre and sign on.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:51 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret
You only need to be ordinarily resident in the UK in order to use NHS services. Therefore if you move back to the UK to live then you'll be eligible from day one. NI contributions are irrelevant for NHS care. You should register with a local GP for which they usually will want to see proof of status (British passport) and address although some surgeries are stricter than others.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You only need to be ordinarily resident in the UK in order to use NHS services. Therefore if you move back to the UK to live then you'll be eligible from day one. NI contributions are irrelevant for NHS care. You should register with a local GP for which they usually will want to see proof of status (British passport) and address although some surgeries are stricter than others.
Much appreciate this clarification.

Many thanks
Margaret
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret
I did this last year. I'd lived abroad for 25 years. I simply arrived in the country as usual, but started applying for things that only residents ( not visitors) do. TV licence, electoral register, council tax, I resurrected and updated my driving licence with a new photo card. Then I went to the doctors to sign up, the application form simply required name, address, d.o.b I think, and the name of my last doctor (from the 1980s.) I showed them my new driving licence as proof of name and address. I told the receptionist that I'd been abroad for 25 years, but she wasn't that interested..

I did try to talk to HMRC to see what I needed to do to get on their radar, but the person I spoke to simply wasn't interested. He dismissively told me that retired people don't pay any tax in Britain, so no worries! If only that were true!
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
I did this last year. I'd lived abroad for 25 years. I simply arrived in the country as usual, but started applying for things that only residents ( not visitors) do. TV licence, electoral register, council tax, I resurrected and updated my driving licence with a new photo card. Then I went to the doctors to sign up, the application form simply required name, address, d.o.b I think, and the name of my last doctor (from the 1980s.) I showed them my new driving licence as proof of name and address. I told the receptionist that I'd been abroad for 25 years, but she wasn't that interested..

I did try to talk to HMRC to see what I needed to do to get on their radar, but the person I spoke to simply wasn't interested. He dismissively told me that retired people don't pay any tax in Britain, so no worries! If only that were true!
Thanks fir this Robin - it is a great help.

Now all we need to work on is what, if any tax, we are liable to pay as retired persons in the uk.

Any pointers on this one anyone as that will be my next search!!

Great help all
Regards
Margaret

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.