Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How heavy trailer/camper can I tow?

How heavy trailer/camper can I tow?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default How heavy trailer/camper can I tow?

Not really wanting to join an RV forum just yet, but toying with the idea of getting a pop up camper or more if I thought we could tow it safely.

I wrote down the details from my car, but I don't understand how to work out a safe weight. Here are the details,

2003 Nissan pathfinder 2wd

This is from the drivers door sticker:
GVWR/PNBV. 5050lbs
GAWR/PNBE. FR 2400lbs
GAWR/PNBE RR 2800lbs

Can anyone translate?

Last edited by The Horticulturalist; Sep 23rd 2012 at 1:53 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How heavy trailer/camper can I tow?

GVWR = Gross vehicle weight rating. The 5050lbs is the overall rating and the towing weight.The other two are the load rating for the front and rear axles individually if that makes sense.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
GVWR = Gross vehicle weight rating. The 5050lbs is the overall rating and the towing weight.The other two are the load rating for the front and rear axles individually if that makes sense.
Well it kind of makes sense, but I still don't know how heavy a trailer I can get. And how do I know if I'm overloading the axles?

Are you saying that I can tow up to 5050lbs? I know we would need to include passenger weight,luggage and so on in the final number.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 2:49 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Well it kind of makes sense, but I still don't know how heavy a trailer I can get. And how do I know if I'm overloading the axles?

Are you saying that I can tow up to 5050lbs? I know we would need to include passenger weight,luggage and so on in the final number.
Try this site it might help
http://www.americanrvcenter.com/page...towratings.htm
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Cars.com suggests that the towing capacity is 5000lbs, which seems to be par for the course for this size SUV:

http://www.cars.com/nissan/pathfinde...pecifications/

I normally prefer Edmunds.com for that sort of information but for some reason they don't appear to list the tow capacity for the 2003 Pathfinder.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link for a decent explanation ......
http://klenger.net/RV_General/Towing_Weights/index.html

Or go to the towing forum on rv.net - you can browse without joining and there's some useful stuff / knowledgeable people on there.