Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How is Health care in the UK

How is Health care in the UK

Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is Health care in the UK

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
While mum was in hospital recovering from a broken hip...Social Services installed a wheelchair ramp from the pathway to the front doorof her house. They did all sorts of little things inside the house ie put her armchair on risers so she could get in and out of it easily, raised the toilet seat etc.
Yup it's amazing - people have been round my FIL's house dong all that stuff to make life easier for him. Wonderful
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

The same thing happened to my MIL and she got great home care - something that would never be given in 'the best healthcare system in the world.' Plus the fire department arrived the day after she got home from hospital and explained that because she was sleeping downstairs and was an invalid, they needed to install extra smoke detectors. All free of charge. Plus my FIL got an allowance to stay in a hotel for the weekend during his caring for her. Apparently it's something they do to give FT carers a break. He didn't want it, but I thought it was great anyway.
Interesting contrast: A good friend of ours in Arizona had a cerebral bleed the day after we returned to the UK. He's recovering slowly, and is due to be sent home next week, but will need Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy. The insurance company will not cover an extended stay in the Recovery Place where he is now and he can't get the Therapy at home because the dirtwater town where they live has no one who provides that service and the next town over has carers, but they're over burdened already. It's appalling, after all he's been through, that the Insurance company dictates the care he can and cannot have.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:02 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaineLeedsbloke
So can we just stick to the question at hand.........because if anyone mentions barry or the smashed tomato or the weasel then I will have to respond.
If you return to the UK you will get good care for your wife if you are both resident there. The new Government is promising to protect the NHS and I think it's the one area that it's politically impossible to make cuts.

My mum has chronic low level diabetes and receives excellent care. She goes to the diabetes clinic once a week so they can check up on her, do blood work and she gets diet plans and does an exercise class.

Do you have family back in the UK? I'm sure it would probably be best to ask them about their recent NHS experiences
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:30 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni
Actually if you are a british citizen, all you need is your NHS number. With this Coverage is immediate upon arrival back. If you don't know your number you need to contact the Local health authority you resided in last and request it. Simple process really. The Uk still does not have a functioning national IT patient database. I and my both worked in the NHS IT field for over 10 years and many of our friends are still in it. lol we are pretty up to date on all the records and procedures.
This is not true. You need to intend to stay to be entitled and the entitlement is nothing to do with nationality. If you are not here to stay then you are not entitled. If you are British who lives abroad then you are not entitled. You have to intend to stay in the UK.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
This is not true. You need to intend to stay to be entitled and the entitlement is nothing to do with nationality. If you are not here to stay then you are not entitled. If you are British who lives abroad then you are not entitled. You have to intend to stay in the UK.
Also we found out last summer that all the patients in Scotland and England are on a national data base. If you get sick and end up in an emergency room far from home they can look you up and have all your info. Wales wasn't on the data base yet (maybe by now I don't know) Dd obviously wasn't she lives in the US, but the admissions lady put in her details like she had to on arrival to the A&E, and told us if we had been residents (of England or Scotland) all the information pops up on her screen.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

They tell you that it is on a national database...but it does not work yet. I was part of the team that was setting it up, Many of our Friends are still working on the team. It is not live yet and at this point it is looking at 2012 minimum. It will get there... problems are just very large and widespread.

:-)
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:33 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

That surprises me - why do they bother in A&E - it is exempt from the entitlement process - everyone is entitled.

I went to Addenbrookes and they asked me if I'd been in the country for a year - which I denied. This triggerd an investigation where I had to prove I was intending to stay.

I see what you mean though and I welcome an approach that prevents unentitled medical tourism.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Sorry I ment it as a long term thing --- I feel that healthcare tourism is wrong. I was aimining my comment at the people using a more honest approach.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:26 am
Banned

No, dont apols please - I know exactly what you mean - maybe my words were too strong.

We all want what is right!!