Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

Originally Posted by Angelstation
Well, whaddya know ! I never knew I had an NI number. Or do I ? I was born in UK in 1957 but family moved to OZ while I was still in nappies.

Must find that NI number one day! Not that I think I'll need it but just for grins.

Does the NI number perform the same function as my SS # here in the USA?

Slightly OT: You should see the looks I get here in the USA, whenever I have to present my UK birth certificate. Big wide crumbling yellowing document......
Your birth certificate will not show a NI number because it was issued in 1957.

They more or less serve the same purpose. One difference being that you need to give your SS number to everyone and his father...you don't with your NI number.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your birth certificate will not show a NI number because it was issued in 1957.

They more or less serve the same purpose. One difference being that you need to give your SS number to everyone and his father...you don't with your NI number.
Would you consider it worth my while in obtaining my NI number in case I need it in the future? I'm guessing the likelihood of me returning to the UK is somewhat remote, but hey.. never say never. I had no idea or long held dream of living in the USA. But one day, it just happened.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
Would you consider it worth my while in obtaining my NI number in case I need it in the future? I'm guessing the likelihood of me returning to the UK is somewhat remote, but hey.. never say never. I had no idea or long held dream of living in the USA. But one day, it just happened.
I don't know...from what I've read on here it's a fairly simple procedure to obtain it if you should ever need it.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Update.

I called the NI number in Britain this morning to see how my application was coming along for a copy of my NI number.

I was told that they are opening mail from March 1st at the moment, and it would take about another month before they would be able to get to my application.

It was explained that at this time of year a lot of kids are applying for University and they are sending off for their NI number, causing a backlog.

I mailed my application from the US on March 13th.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Update.

I called the NI number in Britain this morning to see how my application was coming along for a copy of my NI number.

I was told that they are opening mail from March 1st at the moment, and it would take about another month before they would be able to get to my application.

It was explained that at this time of year a lot of kids are applying for University and they are sending off for their NI number, causing a backlog.

That's really weird as I had mine in a matter of days and Mrs TB had hers from scratch in a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know...from what I've read on here it's a fairly simple procedure to obtain it if you should ever need it.
Thanks for pointing out they are on the birth certificates, I had never noticed that for my children. Can they just quote that number or do they need to go through an additional process if they want to work in the UK?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Thanks for pointing out they are on the birth certificates, I had never noticed that for my children. Can they just quote that number or do they need to go through an additional process if they want to work in the UK?
I don't know but I think they would only need to quote the number. Make sure the DHSS have your current address or a relative's ...on their 16th birthday they will be sent a credit card size card with the number on it. I checked and it's the same one that's on my daughter's birth certificate.

I can't remember whether it was sent directly to our US address because I had the mail redirected for about 5 or 6 years after we moved.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but I think they would only need to quote the number. Make sure the DHSS have your current address or a relative's ...on their 16th birthday they will be sent a credit card size card with the number on it. I checked and it's the same one that's on my daughter's birth certificate.

I can't remember whether it was sent directly to our US address because I had the mail redirected for about 5 or 6 years after we moved.
I looked at a website as my son approached 16, it seemed that you had to be resident in the UK to get a card so I thought he should just do that if and when he returned.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I looked at a website as my son approached 16, it seemed that you had to be resident in the UK to get a card so I thought he should just do that if and when he returned.
In that case it must have been redirected from our old UK address. I can't see why a card is necessary if you know your number...we don't have one.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In that case it must have been redirected from our old UK address. I can't see why a card is necessary if you know your number...we don't have one.
I think so, I've only ever been asked for the number, not for someone to physically check the card.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
That's really weird as I had mine in a matter of days and Mrs TB had hers from scratch in a couple of weeks.
All I can think of is that you applied for yours before all of these future students applied for theirs.

I have requested a copy of my number in the past, and know I have a copy of it somewhere in my house. I moved house a year ago and since then have not been able to find it, so maybe I need a good rummage through my stuff again to find it. Very frustrating!
Old May 1st 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Update.

Guess what came in the mail today? My National Insurance number. Whoever I talked to the other day obviously gave me the wrong information. So, if anyone is waiting for their NI number to be mailed to them, I don't think it will be long before you get it.

Mine's was mailed from the US on the 13th March, and I received it today, the 1st of May. Approximately a 1 1/2 months
Old May 4th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

applied for my national insurance card around 5 weeks ago,couldnt find it even though i kept all that type of stuff while we were in australia (18 years). will give them a ring tomorrow to see how my form is progressing.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
applied for my national insurance card around 5 weeks ago,couldnt find it even though i kept all that type of stuff while we were in australia (18 years). will give them a ring tomorrow to see how my form is progressing.
If it is anything like my experience, you will get the card sooner than they tell you
Old May 5th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

If it is anything like my experience, you will get the card sooner than they tell you

I should point out that I didn't get a card, just a letter saying what my NI # was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.