Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

pianoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

Hi

Expat here, will be moving back to the UK soon to seek employment and register back in to the system. Unfortunately I don't have my old NI number and understand I will be needing it to gain employment. I know the general rule is to approach your local jobs-center and apply for one but it's been said this can take up to 3 months in which time I will be expected to pay Emergency Tax. Are there any services on line offering express delivery in these cases where it may be possible to receive your NI number much sooner to avoid paying the higher tax rate?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:47 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How To Get Your NI Number In The UK ???

Originally Posted by pianoman
Hi

Expat here, will be moving back to the UK soon to seek employment and register back in to the system. Unfortunately I don't have my old NI number and understand I will be needing it to gain employment. I know the general rule is to approach your local jobs-center and apply for one but it's been said this can take up to 3 months in which time I will be expected to pay Emergency Tax. Are there any services on line offering express delivery in these cases where it may be possible to receive your NI number much sooner to avoid paying the higher tax rate?
I too, also lost mine. As you are already in the system your local job centre will be able to tell you it. I needed to show my passport and birth cert. Photocopies were taken of them. Depending on how large your job centre is they will either give you a form to fill out for a replacemnet card or they'll give you a number to phone. I was given the tel number 084591 59047. Unfortunately, when I called they wanted my exact last registered address. I couldn't remember the house number so back to the job centre and they phoned for me. They card arrived in 48hrs. You can only apply once for a replacement card.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10014073
Scroll to the bottom you can fill out a form for them to find your number for you
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Depending when you were born your NI number will be printed on your birth certificate. My daughter was born in '85 and it's on hers.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

steveandpaula is an unknown quantity at this point

I left the UK when I was 15 in 1980 and have not resided there since.

Do I already have an NI number and if so how do I find out what it is?

We will be returning in September 2011.

Cheers
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandpaula
I left the UK when I was 15 in 1980 and have not resided there since.

Do I already have an NI number and if so how do I find out what it is?

We will be returning in September 2011.

Cheers
First step...read my post #4.

All British citizens are given a NI number at birth.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Ooops. Sorry. I was racing ahead of myself there!!

Ill have a look at my birth certificate later on today. Is the number printed on all birth certificates?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ooops. Sorry. I was racing ahead of myself there!!

Ill have a look at my birth certificate later on today. Is the number printed on all birth certificates?
From birth certificates issued after the late 1960's I think.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Ive had a look at my birth certificate and there is no NI. The only number on there is a "CN"? I was born in 1965 and my birth was registered in early 1966.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ive had a look at my birth certificate and there is no NI. The only number on there is a "CN"? I was born in 1965 and my birth was registered in early 1966.
You were born too early...in that case go to post #3 and click on the link.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Heres another slant on the NIN. Ds was born in the US, dual national, but lived in the UK and even went to school there are a little tike. I wonder if he was ever issued a number, he was registered with the doctor and had his shots for school there and everything.
Interesting, I guess he'll find out this summer
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Depending when you were born your NI number will be printed on your birth certificate. My daughter was born in '85 and it's on hers.
My original birth certificate was stolen and the replacement I obtained in 1987 does not contain my NI number but I have always kept a record. Having lived in England for 30 years before moving abroad, I never knew there was such a thing as an NHS number. Everyone tells me that this is on the birth certificate but it is not on mine and I was never asked for it.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 15th 2010 at 10:09 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by johnh009
My original birth certificate was stolen and the replacement I obtained in 1987 does not contain my NI number. Having lived in England for 30 years before moving abroad, I never knew there was such a thing as an NHS number. Everyone tells me that this is on the birth certificate but it is not on mine and I was never asked for it.
It won't be on your birth certificate because from what you've said the original was issued before the NI number was included. It's not on my birth certificate either.

The National Insurance number is a totally different entity to a National Health Service number. Your NI number identifies you so that you can claim benefits ie unemployment, sickness benefits, pension etc. If you are employed you pay National Insurance to cover these services. Your NHS number identifies you throughout the UK's hospitals, clinics, doctor's office etc. The cost of all medical related services are taken from Income Taxes.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your NHS number identifies you throughout the UK's hospitals, clinics, doctor's office etc. The cost of all medical related services are taken from Income Taxes.
Yes, I am just surprised that after growing up in the UK that no one ever asked for my NHS number and I have no idea it even existed. Maybe it is because like most males, I avoid doctors like the plague.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yes, I am just surprised that after growing up in the UK that no one ever asked for my NHS number and I have no idea it even existed. Maybe it is because like most males, I avoid doctors like the plague.
It looks like it does exist.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/897.aspx...CategoryID=162

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.