Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

how to get my mail forwarded internationally?

Wikiposts

how to get my mail forwarded internationally?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default how to get my mail forwarded internationally?

I'm on a roll here thinking of things I need to do before we go back home. . . they keep popping into my head just as I'm about to fall asleep.
Anyway, how do I forward my mail from US to UK? I've been looking on the USPS.com website and from what I can gather it seems that to have it forwarded internationally, it's going to be verrrrry costly.

Obviously I will do my best to let all the utility companies, doctors, dentists, healthcare, banks etc etc who send mail regularly that I've changed my address, but in the event that something slips through that may contain important personal info what should I do?
I wondered whether to open a PO Box and give the key to a friend who could go every few months to see if there's anything vital been mailed for us and then they could send it on to us , but I'd prefer to not get other folk involved in my business. What have other people on here done, please?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

nuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: how to get my mail forwarded internationally?

You could have your mail forwarded to a ups box or change the addresss on the mail you will have remaining to a ups box as I know they will forward your mail on to you internationally.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by nuttyandfruity
You could have your mail forwarded to a ups box or change the addresss on the mail you will have remaining to a ups box as I know they will forward your mail on to you internationally.
Just to be certain you're saying UPS not USPS correct? I'll look into it because from what I found briefly looking at the postal service website, it could cost me $30 per week to get my mail forwarded internationally from them
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

nuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Just to be certain you're saying UPS not USPS correct? I'll look into it because from what I found briefly looking at the postal service website, it could cost me $30 per week to get my mail forwarded internationally from them
Yes, the ups store. You can rent a box from them annually and they will forward your mail internationally. I am not sure how much they charge, I guess it varies on how regularly you would like your mail sent to you. Worth a call to your local ups store to enquire though. Good luck, let us know how you get on
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Has it changed recently?

When we left the US in 2010 it was free to have our mail forwarded by USPS - even internationally.

The key things I found out were to look for details of 'change of address' rather than forwarding - that seems to be what USPS call that service.

Secondly, the online option was not structured to allow for a foreign address, but I could do it with a form from the post office.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebs
Has it changed recently?

When we left the US in 2010 it was free to have our mail forwarded by USPS - even internationally.

The key things I found out were to look for details of 'change of address' rather than forwarding - that seems to be what USPS call that service.

Secondly, the online option was not structured to allow for a foreign address, but I could do it with a form from the post office.
Oooh, Thats interesting! I am going to look into that. How long will they do that for?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nuttyandfruity
Oooh, Thats interesting! I am going to look into that. How long will they do that for?
I can't remember if it was for a max of 1 or 2 years when we set it up.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Has it changed recently?

+ 1, me too (though also a while back, in 2006).

It was forwarded for 1 year. Because I didn't know what my UK address would be (had to find a rental after I got back), I had a trusted neighbour hold my change of address form, and pick up my mail for about the first month. Then when I knew my UK address, she filled in my change of address form (which I had already siged) and put it in the mailbox.

Once that kicked in, she mailed my mail that she'd been holding, in a shoebox (cost about 10 bucks, I think) - after ditching all my LL Bean catalogues first, of course!

... also, see this thread, and this thread, and this thread, all on the same topic.

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 23rd 2013 at 11:06 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses, I'll be visiting a Post Office this week to see if they still offer the service for free. I hope so, it will certainly make at least one aspect of moving back to England easier