Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

how do you cure the homesick blues?

how do you cure the homesick blues?

Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do you cure the homesick blues?

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd rather have a nice cup of tea by the compost bin in a climate that is cold enough that no swimming pool is required.
I'll second that, good lord this summer has been hot. A cup of tea with a nice little fire burning leaves in the garden, heaven...
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I'll second that, good lord this summer has been hot. A cup of tea with a nice little fire burning leaves in the garden, heaven...
We're waiting to have some autumn bonfires.. It has been so dry here for months that there has been a burning ban in effect since April.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Bonfire night. Penny for the guy. Wasnt / isnt that the best. Hmm yep too hot and dry here too for such things yet.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

For me it was going down to World Market and buying lots of anything made by Cadburys, and watching iplayer. Actually I was homesick for anything European so got addicted to Wallander/Borgen/The Bridge etc. I think it was the unrelenting downbeatness I missed. I would also buy french cheese from Wholefoods. Honest, I`m such a glutton, I`ve put half a stone on since being home.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:07 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Actually I was homesick for anything European so got addicted to Wallander/Borgen/The Bridge etc. I think it was the unrelenting downbeatness I missed.
Yes me too! Something about this relentless all-American smiling chirpy upbeat cheer that seems so annoying. News presenters with big white teeth that giggle endlessly (mostly women but a few men too). Too much sunshine in your face from every window. It all gets so exhausting.

Need more of that soothing British grey gloom, haha!