Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

Wikiposts

How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

Update on the animals and how they've coped so far.

I arrived back in UK on 21st July, the pets had already been there for a week with my husband.
Both the cats were very eager to get outside by the time I got there, they kept tapping on the patio door if I went out into the garden, so the following day after my arrival we sat outside on our garden chairs and just left the back door ajar. They both came out very tentatively at first, sniffing everything and rubbing their cheeks on branches etc.

I had to pretend to be very calm although I wanted to grab them and take them back indoors in case they ran away, but they were very good and didn't go far at all.

The next day my eldest cat snuck out when we had our backs turned and I was terrified. We had no idea of the time he got out, and so I was in the garden for hours doing the whole "ch-ch-ch" sound and shaking the box of cat biscuits to try and coax him from wherever he was. He was nowhere to be seen

I honestly thought he'd been run over. We drove through the neighbourhood numerous times to see if there was any sign of him dead or alive, still nothing.
At this point almost 12 hours had elapsed and I really thought we'd lost him

Around 8pm (a full day since we'd seen him) my other cat suddenly looked towards the fence and I heard some rustling. Then, lo and behold Cooper the Cat appeared as though nothing was wrong and casually walked into the house and to his food bowl

For the last few days they've both been coming and going at will. They come in at regular intervals for food etc and I have been keeping them in at night.

All is well in the cat department in our new home in UK

Our dog is also happy here although she is more clingy than she was in USA.

I have a feeling she thinks that if she lets me out of her sight, she'll end up on a plane again or something!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Ah, that's great - glad all your pets made the journey and are settling in!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:24 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Great news! So glad your missing cat was just on an exploratory adventure!

My dog also follows me everywhere. I realised though that, in the States, my house was more open plan so she could see me going from the kitchen to the dining room to the living room but here everything is separate rooms. She also knew my routine but here I don't have a routine yet and she's not sure where I'm going. She's not as clingy as she was when I first got here but maybe it's because she's figured out that when I get up to get a cup of tea, I'll be coming back!

She met her first swan the other day. The swan hissed and she backed away! Didn't stop her wanting to 'meet' the 4 we saw a bit further on though!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, am very glad Cooper the cat came back!! I've heard tha tif you put butter on their feet, it helps them find their way back if they get lost. I don't know if it is true, though.

My cats are indoor only so when I get there, they will continue to be indoor cats. However, there are no window screens over there so I am not quite sure how to handle that one.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:31 am
stephanie303

hooper is on a distinguished road

ElizabethK, glad your Cooper made it back home!

windsong, I am moving to a home with screenless windows too, but on the second floor... So I am more worried about the cat falling out of the window! I actually was looking at window screen kits in Walmart the other day, thinking, hmmmm, would these work on DH's windows......
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

You can get window screens here, I looked into them because I hate wasps and moths etc coming in when I have the windows open. Here's a link to a website I found

http://www.windowscreensuk.co.uk/pro...indows-small/#
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:10 pm
stephanie303

hooper is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
You can get window screens here, I looked into them because I hate wasps and moths etc coming in when I have the windows open. Here's a link to a website I found

Oh! Counting every window that would need a screen, the cost would add up real fast!
Though having seen the size of some of the spiders that creep in through DH's windows, at that point I would pay any amount of cash for a screen!
Seriously, I have never seen spiders that big outside of a zoo!!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Editha
Also -- you can get a spray that helps your cat adjust to their new home. I think it is called "felispray", or something like that. Your vet will know about it.
Don't waste your money on Feliway - just expensive and don't really think it works.
Our cats are all indoor - what concerns me is how to keep them in. I know you can get screen made in the UK for windows just like door. I suppose upstairs, just keep the doors closed if the windows are open. Downstairs, if at all possible, I would like to be able to fix it up in such a way that the cats could go outside, but not be able to run all over the place.

I suppose it is the same to a cat if they move from country to country or just another house. My sister's son moved his cats to a new house - kept them in for a couple of weeks and then let them out. Don't think he had any problems with any of them running off.
By the same token - we moved with two cats one time and one went back to the old neighbourhood. Not possible of course if it is another country.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
I, too, am very glad Cooper the cat came back!! I've heard tha tif you put butter on their feet, it helps them find their way back if they get lost. I don't know if it is true, though.

My cats are indoor only so when I get there, they will continue to be indoor cats. However, there are no window screens over there so I am not quite sure how to handle that one.
You can get screens built for you in the UK http://www.windowscreensuk.co.uk/
Here is on (above). Don't know if they do ones that aren't permanent as that could be a problem if you rent.
Never heard of butter, but, I think cats leave pheromones wherever they go that help them find their way back. I read that somewhere a long time ago. It is how they manage to find their way back to an old house sometimes.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Sorry - just saw you put the same link as I just did earlier.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by salgb
Ah, that's great - glad all your pets made the journey and are settling in!
Me too - been wondering how they (and you) are doing.
How do you find the cost of food and the cost of living in general there now as compared to the US?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gailc
Me too - been wondering how they (and you) are doing.
How do you find the cost of food and the cost of living in general there now as compared to the US?
I and the animals are all doing really well, and have to say that so far I have no regrets whatsoever in coming back

The cost of food so far I have not really noticed much difference between US and UK to be honest although I have spent far too much on sweets and chocolate that I would never have bought in USA

I do think that washing detergent is more expensive here, although I have found a super little shop that sells it very cheap as long as you don't mind that the wording on the package is in a foreign language. As long as it cleans my clothes I'm fine with that !

Bread is much cheaper here as are biscuits, but when it comes to meat then the US is by far cheaper. I haven't done a proper 'shop' yet so I can't compare properly but just browsing at prices I'd say that it's probably around the same.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hooper
Oh! Counting every window that would need a screen, the cost would add up real fast!
Though having seen the size of some of the spiders that creep in through DH's windows, at that point I would pay any amount of cash for a screen!
Seriously, I have never seen spiders that big outside of a zoo!!
You should live in Florida They still get in despite screens - if there is a crack - they get in!
Other thing here as well, like lizards, tree frogs and the occasional snake -( that doesn't happen much though (the snake).
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

I and the animals are all doing really well, and have to say that so far I have no regrets whatsoever in coming back

The cost of food so far I have not really noticed much difference between US and UK to be honest although I have spent far too much on sweets and chocolate that I would never have bought in USA

I do think that washing detergent is more expensive here, although I have found a super little shop that sells it very cheap as long as you don't mind that the wording on the package is in a foreign language. As long as it cleans my clothes I'm fine with that !

Bread is much cheaper here as are biscuits, but when it comes to meat then the US is by far cheaper. I haven't done a proper 'shop' yet so I can't compare properly but just browsing at prices I'd say that it's probably around the same.
That is what we have found when we have been there - some things like meat - really expensive, but it is to the point here, when we stand and look at meat and then walk away. I certainly know we would save on travel.
I am glad to hear you are all settling in and happy to be back home
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't analysed in great detail but reckon I'm spending about half of what I spent on groceries in Canada, if I include wine, beer, cleaning products etc. Bear in mind though I'm a pescatarian who eats a fairly unusual diet (lots of raw food, low carb but plus too many chips and mushy peas atm!), so that probably doesn't help much. Sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.