How did you decide?

Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you decide?

Hi Bubbles,just like to welcome you back to the land of the living lol re the aussies not mentioning the crime?No they would'nt because they'd rather focus on the crime thats happening elsewhere in the world!Anyway just a quick wish you well and I am really glad things are working out for you,take care and have a fab life!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

thanks for that.I am looking out onto fantastic countryside back and front but do you know that is not the best part ............. we have really friendly people who have welcomed us into the village so we now have lovely neighbours .After seven years of being in OZ it literally is like a breath of freash air.
peopla are interested in why e have come back .....but they are so polite about it.
also i am not bombarded with questions that we used to have like
what sort of house have you got ?
did you build?
what area did you build in?
etc etc god that was all we found people talk about and dealing with the public we had alot of english as well saying the same things.
I WANT TO LIVE LIFE FOR NOW AND NOT FOR THE FUTURE.

I say that as a friend commited suicide before we left.she was striving for the material things and took on too much.that also made me realise that you have to find that place were you can be happy.Not saying its perfect as no place is ,and yu cannot expect other people to make you happy ,you have to find that your self.Our journey will be rocky,as we starting a business but my friends are there with us for the eventful ride!!!!!.
i have learnt alot from other people that have gone back to OZ then back to UK.
you have to accept the bad and the good in places as no where is perfect.
We are really appreciating small things that we took for granted now.It took us to go away to appreciate where we are now .
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Bubbles,
I (as many people know)love living in the UK.I am going back to Oz to visit for 2 weeks in May and I think it'll be interesting to see what people say about the place?I agree with you,live for the now time because in reality,thats all we ever have is'nt it?Interesting you should say about people in Oz discussing houses ect?My sister (twin)still lives in Oz and all they ever seem to do is go to a cafe for breakfast most Sundays?Thrilling lifestyle hey?lol
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

Meonline .. as you've discovered, there are as many responses as there are people. Of course.

When we're unsure, we seek other's advice in all areas of life. But as you know, only you know your circumstances. Only you experience the emotions.

So maybe there's a short-cut. Where do you want to die ... or don't you care ?

Whilst many put their own needs second and spend decades in a place where they're not truly happy deep down -- there's one issue about which most have no hesitation at all: they know they do not want to die in the place where they're currently living. And they know where they do want to die.

Weird, isn't it ? Lol. Fancy spending 20, 40 or even 60 years of your short life in a place that isn't in tune with your heart and spirit ... yet worrying about dying in that place, even though after you're dead, it shouldn't matter.

I think it comes down to this: people will sacrifice their life and inner happiness, in the interests of those they love (spouses, children, grandchildren, etc.). But they feel they have a right to get a bit 'selfish' when it comes to their own death and their eternal resting place.

So, where do you want to die ? Or, where do you not want to die ?

If it doesn't bother you either way, then you'll have to find another method of defining which place is right for you and my little quiz will hold no answers for you.

On the other hand, if something in you recoils at the thought of dying where you currently reside, then perhaps it's not the place you should be spending your lifetime, either. Does that make any sense ?

A while ago, I posted about a woman who'd migrated to Australia as a child. She married, had children, grandchildren, etc. She gave it her all, raised a happy, successful brood of children who in turn had children. Australia was their home, naturally. They felt 'right' here. Happy families all 'round. Then, when the woman was in her 80's, she got herself back to the UK, alone. All her family there had died decades before. She had no-one over there, really. But she was content, at peace. She knew she was dying. When the documentary crew caught up with her, they asked how she'd been able to leave her extended family in Australia. And what she said in effect, was that she'd given them her life and didn't regret a day of that. But now she was dying and this was for her, this return to Britain. Finally, she was back where she belonged, in the country she'd always missed and carried in her heart. None of her family had ever known. So there she was, with her hair and make-up just so, walking through the old village grave-yard, amongst her ancestors, touching the trees that spoke to her, the rocks, the dirt, the air .. her beloved Britain. She was dying 'at home' after a lifetime away .. and she was very happy and grateful for that. You could see she was happy. I understood her completely.

We never know for whom the bell tolls, do we ? We could die tomorrow.

So, if that old lady's story speaks to you, and if you're unencumbered with children or a spouse .. then follow your instincts. That's what they're for
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by folic
Meonline .. as you've discovered, there are as many responses as there are people. Of course.

When we're unsure, we seek other's advice in all areas of life. But as you know, only you know your circumstances. Only you experience the emotions.

Whilst many put their own needs second and spend decades in a place where they're not truly happy deep down -- there's one issue about which most have no hesitation at all: they know they do not want to die in the place where they're currently living. And they know where they do want to die.

Weird, isn't it ? Lol. Fancy spending 20, 40 or even 60 years of your short life in a place that isn't in tune with your heart and spirit ... yet worrying about dying in that place, even though after you're dead, it shouldn't matter.

I think it comes down to this: people will sacrifice their life and inner happiness, in the interests of those they love (spouses, children, grandchildren, etc.). But they feel they have a right to get a bit 'selfish' when it comes to their own death and their eternal resting place.

If it doesn't bother you either way, then you'll have to find another method of defining which place is right for you and my little quiz will hold no answers for you.

On the other hand, if something in you recoils at the thought of dying where you currently reside, then perhaps it's not the place you should be spending your lifetime, either. Does that make any sense ?

A while ago, I posted about a woman who'd migrated to Australia as a child. She married, had children, grandchildren, etc. She gave it her all, raised a happy, successful brood of children who in turn had children. Australia was their home, naturally. They felt 'right' here. Happy families all 'round. Then, when the woman was in her 80's, she got herself back to the UK, alone. All her family there had died decades before. She had no-one over there, really. But she was content, at peace. She knew she was dying. When the documentary crew caught up with her, they asked how she'd been able to leave her extended family in Australia. And what she said in effect, was that she'd given them her life and didn't regret a day of that. But now she was dying and this was for her, this return to Britain. Finally, she was back where she belonged, in the country she'd always missed and carried in her heart. None of her family had ever known. So there she was, with her hair and make-up just so, walking through the old village grave-yard, amongst her ancestors, touching the trees that spoke to her, the rocks, the dirt, the air .. her beloved Britain. She was dying 'at home' after a lifetime away .. and she was very happy and grateful for that. You could see she was happy. I understood her completely.

So, if that old lady's story speaks to you, and if you're unencumbered with children or a spouse .. then follow your instincts. That's what they're for
Is the Grim Reaper posting on BE now! Great advice though - never thought of it that way. Thank you.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

My Grandmothers sister did that. Came out to Australia just after the war. I can still remember her returning to London in the mid 70s, I was later told this was to die at home. I was only about 10. We had a big party at my house and her elderly brothers and sisters all visited including my Grandmother. Not long after she died.

I have always wondered if she believed it had been a mistake moving to Australia especially as I have settled here and have a young family.

Pete

Originally Posted by folic

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

husband decided last year he wanted to go back to uk.i always said i wanted my ashes scattered in scotland(highlands)where i come from.agreed to go back but feel very guilty as leaving my 2 daughter and 1 son here.have 3 grandies too.middle daugher took it the worst,she took a while to come around.she tends to be with her husbands family much more,cant make the effort to visit jurien even once a year,we go down every month or so.was at youngest grandies 1st birthday on weekend.what a bloody boring weekend that was.she was more concerned with the inlaws than us.we no longer drink which they all do.talk themselves up big,what they have x amount of properties etc,whats being left to kids in will etc.(get this every time we see her inlaws).totally pished off to say the least.dont know if this is her way of punishing us or not.i know they have their own familes etc and thats how we brought them up to be, independant.its just time we put our needs before the kids now, when we go back we will be comfortable,house paid for etc.do what we want to do.are we being selfish old gits? or do we sit in australia wishing we had given it a go.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I think you ultimately have to do what makes you happy.What if you stayed in Oz,got older and then your kids announced they were all heading back to the UK?And you were at that time too old to start again?You've sacrificed alot bringing the kids up,now its your time,enjoy!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:12 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
husband decided last year he wanted to go back to uk.i always said i wanted my ashes scattered in scotland(highlands)where i come from
The ashes ? off the jetty at Inverary - I spent all summer in that town...or the west end of the Crinan canal - lovely spot

I always joke my daughter about her living in a council house (It is a joke as I lived in one for 10 years) - and she says she will put my ashes in the back garden between the rabbit and the goldfish graves

I go:
'Oh no, to end up in the back garden of a council house between the goldfish and the rabbit !'

I think I will have mine used for cat litter so they can't say I was completely useless
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Doulin is just really niceDoulin is just really niceDoulin is just really niceDoulin is just really niceDoulin is just really niceDoulin is just really niceDoulin is just really niceDoulin is just really nice

Originally Posted by exvj
The ashes ? off the jetty at Inverary - I spent all summer in that town...or the west end of the Crinan canal - lovely spot

I always joke my daughter about her living in a council house (It is a joke as I lived in one for 10 years) - and she says she will put my ashes in the back garden between the rabbit and the goldfish graves

I go:
'Oh no, to end up in the back garden of a council house between the goldfish and the rabbit !'

I think I will have mine used for cat litter so they can't say I was completely useless
Hi all

I have been reading all these post and It just confirms what we are doing is the right thing... My mum and dad came to South Africa in 1973 My brother and I where both born in South Africa.. Dad and Mum never really talked about Scotland or the Uk and how it was like to live there as a child.. When we started growing up we started to ask a lot of questions about the uk and our family there.. As we never knew our Grandparents or any of our family.. My Uncle and Mum sister came to visit us in South Africa in the late 80 and they were always talking how wonderful the Uk and the people are.. Well I was always intrigued with this but never thought in a million years that I will ever go to the UK and start a life there. I got married at a young age ( 18 ) had 2 kids.. It did not work out so I got divorced.. Got remarried to a wonderful man in 2004. My brother decided to go and live in the Uk in the mean time. When we where planning our wedding we talked about the wonderful things my brother told us about the Uk and off course he could not stop talking about the highlands we went on the internet and had a look and wow we were in love with what we saw.. we both decided this is where we wanted to get married and spend the rest off our life together ... But off course we did not have the money at that time, we got married in South Africa and started our planning and saving for this... Things Got worse in South Africa and crime is getting out of hand here The Crime hit us directly when they robbed my kids at knife point for there cell phone ... So in 2008 we started the process of immigrating to the Uk as I am at a stage in my life that I need to know who my family is.. Well We are 1 step closer to our dream to immigrate to the UK as I finally got my British passport now we are going to do the settlement visas for my kids and my wonderful husband that support me in this BIG move.. And yes we are going to get remarried on the highlands when we have settled in the UK This is one dream that both off us has and we will make it come true .. Not sure what area we will be settle ling as we need to explore Uk to find the perfect place.. I know its not going to be easy as South Africa does have wonderful weather and all but My heart I now know has never been here In South Africa but always been in the Uk it took awhile for me to realise this but I feel that I and us is ready for this Big big move.. Any advise will be appreciated

The Doulin's
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:52 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I am English but I love Western Scotland - I spent 3 months there once - I lived in my dad's caravan with my wife and two kids and I fished from my sea canoe all day in the sea loch and we lived on cod and mackerel and potatoes.

By the end of the summer I was fit and toned and sun tanned from canoeing shirtless. I had just left college and it was my one chance to live on the 'dole' for a few months before going back to work. I signed on at the job centre and there were 1.6 million unemployed in the queue in front of me (luckily). Because I was more than 7 miles from a job centre, I just had to mail a card every 2 weeks to confirm I wasn't working. They paid for everything including the caravan site fees and utilities etc - everything

Since then I paid about 10 times the national average for tax every year for 40 years so I don't feel guilty about not talking one of the jobs that 1.6 million people wanted and I didn't

ok first the positive - in a nice Summer, Western Scotland is the finest place in the world bar non ! I have been to new zealand and australia and lived in various places all over the U.S. and visited virtually every European Country - and there is nothing to touch it. Sometimes it's so hot we couldnt motorbike because the roads were melting

BUT !!! You can be huddled up in your caravan in mid July and its 50 degrees and your lips are blue with cold and the rain is ceaseless and coming sideways for weeks and you are attacked by mozzies and huge brown horse flies 'clags' i think they called them
The more rural parts must be miserable for younger people in winter and a bit remote too
I would base myself near Stirling or Edinburgh where it's more sophisticated and it's easy to get to the West in a couple of hours. Inner city Glasgow ofter deserves it's reputation
Nowhere in the world is perfect or anywhere near, so I can understand your enthusiasm, but don't go too overboard !

You are going to have a great time though

best wishes and say hello to the George Pub in Inverary for me - top spot !

Last edited by exvj; Mar 27th 2009 at 2:55 am.