How to cry?

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to cry?

If you want to give cognitive behaviour therapy (cbt) a try, without having to deal with a counsellor, try this website:

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

It's produced by The Australian National University and is a completely free online course that you can work through at your own pace. Incase you don't don't know cbt is about pinning down negative thoughts that bring you down and changing them for positive ones. It is considered the best treatment for depression. Unfortunately people get stuck on antidrepressants instead as a much cheaper alternative.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
U.K.? coppers to spend on yourself after paying bills and mortgage, head-lice in every school, nasty squirrels jumping over my head in parks. revolting public toilets and train stations, sticky tables in pubs, cracked pavements, housing that looks like the WWII had only just ended, rising damp, dodgy double glazing, commuting to work for 2 hours each way, catastrophic train delays, motorway jams, expensive petrol, pokey old banger cars everywhere,expensive booze and fags, sickening and predictable news headlines, absolutely nothing to look forward to except paying the next set of bills, and the NEXT shop sale, homes where people never hoover and keep pets that stink up half of the street, nosey neighbors. People getting excited about fashion trends that ended in US about 5 years ago. Having the GP who proscribes Amoxicillin before you say Hello. Wet grass that you can never put a blanket on without getting it fouled up, and many, many more.

…..but don’t we love her? Like an old and frumpy mother; a truly wonderful England. I could move there any day!
So is there anything you actually do like about Britain?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

2 things I can share. #1.Oftentimes when I felt all broken up about not seeing my parents and my children growing up without them,1 phone call would make it clear to me that my parents were doing marvelously without us! #2. 6 years away is time long enough for your parents to "grow away" from the kind of intimacy you are imagining. So what happened to me e.g. when I returned to my homeground after 4 years away, after a few days of excitement they all returned to their rutine and got busy with their lifestyle while my family were left alone again. In time the benefits of having them around became nothing compared to the the degradation of our own lifestyle of living in a poorer country, again. Months went buy and we figured we did not belong there any more, at all, not one bit!. Now we are in US and I am hoping not to ever make this mistake again. Please go there for a long holiday to check this out yourself. When you talk about how significant it is to be in "the same time zone"(??) I really think your judgement is purly emotional. That is not good. Skiing?, skating?, Rolloerblading? ...You should get out more, buddy! To take a step away, think of people who came over to US 200 years ago, had no phones, and had to endure far worse problems than ours..
Rollerblading? The poor ****** is depressed,this is his life,not a
Tampax commercial!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by backagen
So is there anything you actually do like about Britain?
Miss about England?

Scampi fries, my old "Fox and Hounds" pub in Leatherhead (changed the name now), hearing the word "sorry", and pronounced properly, polite policemen and train conductors, proper church hymn music at my church,holding the door open for the guys behind! The smiles on peoples faces, courtious drivers on motorways, ordinary small talk, and although I do not have it,nothing can replace the prepetual, easy humour in the office.
Dont get me wrong England is great, or used to be.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:48 am
Just Joined

nickbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Hello All,

For the last two months I've been so homesick it's been untrue. I've been trying to tell myself to snap out of it and enjoy the sun and the open spaces and go and visit somewhere with the darling wife.

I can't snap out of it though. I just get this feeling that I'm wasting time and my life, sitting here. I miss my Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister, BIL, neice, nephew, etc. I want to be able to just sit down and watch the TV with them, have a cuppa, argue with my Dad over why he left the car on empty again, with my brother on what to watch on the TV
Dave,
It sounds like you may well need to go back home. I think you should make a list of reasons to stay, and reasons to go back, and compare them. There are evidently strong reasons to go back in terms of family relationships. Financially, its probably best to stay in the US, but its well-known, backed up by research that 1: after basic needs are met, increase in wealth doesn't bring increase in happiness, and 2: the real key to happiness appears to be in meaningful relationships (with other people i:e friends and family, and for people that are religious, a feeling of a relationship with God)
It seems to me the US is full of people who have far more wealth than comparable Brits, but are profoundly unhappy, due to lack of good relationships with nearby friends and family. I've worked in the US and Canada, have been living back in the UK 5 years now, and although I miss the open spaces and mountains and positivity, never have I wished to be back in N America. On the big plus side, at least you have your wife with you. When I was in the US I hadn't met my now wife, so it was worse I suppose. After the effort of getting Canadian permanent residency, I let it expire and have no regrets. Similarly, you might not care if you lost your green card.
If your list of reasons to stay and reasons to move back are fairly equal, then maybe you should go back to UK with an "exit strategy" i.e a way to return to the US if moving back home wasn't what you were after. Perhaps a specific future time at which you decide? In my case I knew by a certain time my Canadian PR would have run out, but I'd long since decided being home for good was right, by then.
People talk about reverse culture shock moving back etc. Well yeah things will have moved on, but your friends and family are still more-or-less the same people they were and its your home country.
I guess the big unknown factor in this is your wife and what she wants. I guess as an Indian there's no reason she'd feel less comfortable in the UK than US? Maybe she'd like the UK better in fact?
In case anyone asks "why are you posting if you're so happy back home" - I'm off work with 'flu , and felt like helping a random person.
Good luck,
Nick
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses guys.

One of the things that I find really difficult is that on a day to day living basis I like the US.

However, I miss the family and just being able to drive over and see them. Or pick up the phone and be in the same time zone.

No matter what I decide I'll be losing out on something.

A friend yesterday said to me, look when you have children things will change. Your Brother and Sister in the UK will have their own lives and parents, sad to say, but pass on. My immediate thought was I know how close I am to my sisters kids and how close my brother is with them too. I would want that for my kids too.

It's true about parents passing on, that's a fact of life, but doesn't that mean that I should cherish the time that they are around?

I've been away from England for nearly 6 years now, with 4 of them in the US. I waste weekends worrying about this and time goes by.
Hey Dave_Was

I'm in a similar position - I got my citizenship though -it's worth keeping a door open. My wife's family are all in the US and if we move to England, which we are looking at next year, and she doesn't like it, we can always move back without going through immigration.

It is very difficult to obtain a green card once you have left. You can obtain reentry permits which are good for 2 years, but there are no guarantees. If you're serious about moving and keeping a way back open, get your citizenship, save money and just do your best.

As for friends and family moving on that is an unfortunate side effect when one has been absent for a long time, in my case it's seven years. I have almost no contact with my brother - he's married with no kids and his world is completely different from mine, but he is still my brother - I have to accept that the person I grew up with for most of my life has moved on.

I am closer with my sister because we have something in common - kids.

Best of luck

Last edited by drhewitt; Nov 3rd 2008 at 11:45 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:57 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Miss about England?

my old "Fox and Hounds" pub in Leatherhead (changed the name now), Dont get me wrong England is great
think it's now The Shy Horse....if you're meaning The Fox and Hounds on the Leatherhead Rd, Chessington.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:20 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave, if it was me I'd apply for the USC and then go home. My situation is a bit more complicated but I know how you feel. Talk to your wife and be honest with her about everything. She knows something is wrong and this isn't going to go away on its own.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies, it's been a rough weekend.

Firstly a few people have mentioned going for citizenship, I've only had my GC for about a year now and so that's at least 4 years till I can apply and then probably about a year in the application process. In the meantime I would have turned 40, my parents 70, neices and nephews into their late teens. 5 years to me at the moment sounds like a lifetime and and that missed time won't come back.

I spoke to my wife.. There were a lot of tears, mainly hers. I explained the situation and she listened and cried. We talked, held each other, talked and cried.

She said that she had seen a change in me in the last couple of weeks and was waiting for me to bring it up. She understands why I want to go back, she's a gentle soul and scared about living in the UK, especially now that she has got used to the US.

I think that we still have a way to go in discussing things as she is more thinking along the lines of a year, whereas I'm thinking about a few months.

Reading around the subject.. it does look like we'll be burning the bridge of coming back when we leave. Especially as when we apply for a settlement visa for my wife, that could be seen as intent to live permanently abroad.

In a way both my wife and I think that if we do move back to the UK, that's it. We should settle down and be done with it.

I don't want to be at work today, but have to be here.

I think that it's been said many times before moving country is a huge deal and something that you need to understand why your doing it. Looking back on it, I made a mistake moving out to the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:35 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right about the USC thing. A lot of folks are eligible by the time they want to leave so it is a matter of months for them. I know exactly what you mean about taking the decision to move to the US more seriously, but you've done it and its been an adventure, and now maybe its time to move on. Just give it time to be sure its what you want.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I think that we still have a way to go in discussing things as she is more thinking along the lines of a year, whereas I'm thinking about a few months.
Just reading that reminded me of when I wanted to move back and my OH wasn't so keen. Oddly as my way of convincing him I said lets make a plan to move back in a year or so and then he surprised me by saying no if we're going to do this there's no point in put it off. It sounds like you and your wife have a very strong relationship and hopefully you'll be making some concrete plans soon. Now that we're back my OH can see there really wasn't much to worry about and we are happier than ever.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

That's good that you are talking to your wife, and making plans for one years time, 4-5 years is too long to be unhappy.

How about you treat the next 12 months as a working holiday rather than a prison sentence, try and see a few bits of America that interest you before you head back?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
If you want to give cognitive behaviour therapy (cbt) a try, without having to deal with a counsellor, try this website:

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

It's produced by The Australian National University and is a completely free online course that you can work through at your own pace. Incase you don't don't know cbt is about pinning down negative thoughts that bring you down and changing them for positive ones. It is considered the best treatment for depression. Unfortunately people get stuck on antidrepressants instead as a much cheaper alternative.
That sounds interesting.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies, it's been a rough weekend.

Firstly a few people have mentioned going for citizenship, I've only had my GC for about a year now and so that's at least 4 years till I can apply and then probably about a year in the application process. In the meantime I would have turned 40, my parents 70, neices and nephews into their late teens. 5 years to me at the moment sounds like a lifetime and and that missed time won't come back.

I spoke to my wife.. There were a lot of tears, mainly hers. I explained the situation and she listened and cried. We talked, held each other, talked and cried.

She said that she had seen a change in me in the last couple of weeks and was waiting for me to bring it up. She understands why I want to go back, she's a gentle soul and scared about living in the UK, especially now that she has got used to the US.

Reading around the subject.. it does look like we'll be burning the bridge of coming back when we leave. Especially as when we apply for a settlement visa for my wife, that could be seen as intent to live permanently abroad.

In a way both my wife and I think that if we do move back to the UK, that's it. We should settle down and be done with it.

I don't want to be at work today, but have to be here.

I think that it's been said many times before moving country is a huge deal and something that you need to understand why your doing it. Looking back on it, I made a mistake moving out to the US.
Dave, I am sorry. You are possessed!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of

Hello All,

For the last two months I've been so homesick it's been untrue. I've been trying to tell myself to snap out of it and enjoy the sun and the open spaces and go and visit somewhere with the darling wife.

I can't snap out of it though. I just get this feeling that I'm wasting time and my life, sitting here. I miss my Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister, BIL, neice, nephew, etc. I want to be able to just sit down and watch the TV with them, have a cuppa, argue with my Dad over why he left the car on empty again, with my brother on what to watch on the TV. Drive my mum to work, have my niece and nephew over for the evening, fight with them about them playing Nintendo too much. Have my family get to know my wife and her, them, the way you can only do, by spending time with each other.

I want to be able to walk to the shops, catch a bus, watch the football, cricket and darts. I want to go to Sainsbury's and Tescos and buy Pork pies, sausages and bacon. I want to be able to complain that it's too cold and wet to go Christmas shopping. I want to be asked to look after the kids, while my sister and BIL go sales shopping and then laugh at my BIL for being dragged along. I want to be able to have the chance of running into someone I know in the street and stop and catchup.

My sister says don't bottle it up, but I sound like a broken record if I talk about it.

I want to go home, but worry about finding work. Here I have a stable, well paid job even though at the moment it's mind numbingly boring. I worry about moving back and then losing my green card. It was a struggle to get it and I feel that if I lose it now, I'll never be in the US for work again, what with it so difficult to get a H1 now. I've only had the GC a year.

My sister asked, what am I doing? I said waiting to get my citizenship and then I'll comeback. Her response was doens't that tell you something?

My wife sometimes has a cry and says it makes her feel better afterwards. I stood in the shower the other day and tried and couldn't. My heart feels heavy and my chest tight.
hye feel so sorry for you as i was just the same when we arrived in nz for our big adventure. My oh was very understanding but didnt really know what i was going through. We came in May and went back in December for holiday which hepled a bit but its now 2 years since I have seen my daughter and i am missing her like mad. We are going back at xmas and i am not coming back. As much as anything else i havent been able to get a job. My oh is coming back while we sell our flat. he will return when its sold. It was so upsetting at first no friends or people to talk to but as soon as we decided to return i have felt so much happier within myself i know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. What is now worrying me is will i get a job on my return? will my friends be there for me? how will my daughter feel about me staying with her until bill my oh returns with the cash? Its all the uncertanties in reverse and i find myself going from excitement to anxiousness all in one day. D other people who have returned or who are returning feeling the same. I know that returning is the right thing for me but why have i now began to feel that nz isnt that bad after all. Hopefully some people will reply to this thread thanks for all for reading it.ps not too sure how to start a thread please could someone write how to for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.