Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How can I apply for a job back home from overseas?

How can I apply for a job back home from overseas?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:45 pm
Been there, done that

devoted2him3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can I apply for a job back home from overseas?

Sorry if this is a little off topic... I'm an American citizen living in the UK getting ready to move with my UK citizen husband back to the US. I want to apply for jobs before moving back but don't quite know how to go about it being so far away.

I have my CV ready as well as detailed, job specific, individual cover letters. Do I need to send anything else? Should I include a picture? Thing is, I want to send my CV to places that are not necessarily hiring.

Anyone out there applied for a job that's not necessarily vacant? Is there protocol for send a "cold" CV?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I apply for a job back home from overseas?

Originally Posted by devoted2him3
Sorry if this is a little off topic... I'm an American citizen living in the UK getting ready to move with my UK citizen husband back to the US. I want to apply for jobs before moving back but don't quite know how to go about it being so far away.

I have my CV ready as well as detailed, job specific, individual cover letters. Do I need to send anything else? Should I include a picture? Thing is, I want to send my CV to places that are not necessarily hiring.

Anyone out there applied for a job that's not necessarily vacant? Is there protocol for send a "cold" CV?

Thanks in advance!

If you're trying to find an advertised position, then try www.monster.com or www.careerbuilder.com.

For CV's, there really isn't a protocal for sending a 'cold' one. The major risk for this is that they simply will not open the envelope or will toss your resume without looking at it, because there aren't any open positions. If you want a better chance of your resume being looked at, then it may help to know the name of the person responsible for the hiring, and address it to their attention. Also, you could look into giving your info to a headhunter, who will match up employment opportunities with you. Never go with one that will charge you for this. A headhunter/recruiter gets paid by the hiring company to find people.

You may find it difficult to get very far with some companies, as they usually want a face-to-face interview. Some could settle for video conferencing, but that would all depend on whether the company was set up to do that. Otherwise, the price of plane tickets could add up if you come over multiple tiimes for interviews.

By the way, if you haven't done so yet, you need to look into the differences between CV's and resumes. From what I understand, there are some pretty big diffs between them. What employers here look at is not the same as what employers look at there. And generally speaking, I would say no pics to go with the resume. I'm a professional, and I have never done this.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:32 pm
Been there, done that

devoted2him3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If you're trying to find an advertised position, then try www.monster.com or www.careerbuilder.com.

For CV's, there really isn't a protocal for sending a 'cold' one. The major risk for this is that they simply will not open the envelope or will toss your resume without looking at it, because there aren't any open positions. If you want a better chance of your resume being looked at, then it may help to know the name of the person responsible for the hiring, and address it to their attention. Also, you could look into giving your info to a headhunter, who will match up employment opportunities with you. Never go with one that will charge you for this. A headhunter/recruiter gets paid by the hiring company to find people.

You may find it difficult to get very far with some companies, as they usually want a face-to-face interview. Some could settle for video conferencing, but that would all depend on whether the company was set up to do that. Otherwise, the price of plane tickets could add up if you come over multiple tiimes for interviews.

By the way, if you haven't done so yet, you need to look into the differences between CV's and resumes. From what I understand, there are some pretty big diffs between them. What employers here look at is not the same as what employers look at there. And generally speaking, I would say no pics to go with the resume. I'm a professional, and I have never done this.
Thanks very much for your quick reply! I completely agree and know that my cover letter and CV have massive bin potential. I do understand the difference between CVs and resumes, I'm from California, I think I've been in the UK for too long.. hehe. Luckily I have specific names and addresses for the places I want to apply to (Universities) so hopefully that will help.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also a good networking site like linkedin can be useful - can describe your working experience on there and connect with existing friends and colleagues - and maybe make new contacts etc. Its often not what you know but who you know!