Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Housing too expensive in UK?

Housing too expensive in UK?

Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing too expensive in UK?

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Here's my plan. Move back to the old neighbourhood, bug the council and housing associations for a house and then right to buy it. I can see no other way when we return to ever get on the housing ladder. That said it is really hard to get a council house now with the influx of migrant workers etc. It is definately a long shot. Even in my neighbourhood (in salford) the house prices are silly. My mums two bed, red brick mid terrace in the centre of Salford has been valued at 150k. Ten years ago she couldn't get 25 for it. Not that they are planning a move at their time of life but it just goes to show.

How much of this is due to people moving from the south I wonder? (Bastard southerners )

Spent some happy times in Salford Silly Sod. I have a mate who still lives there and he reckons there's a lot of new properties there now.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:07 am
Banned

british whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

this thread is definately intersting.

I have vested interest in property Uk and Perth, and have a few comments, for the ones who seem to have lost faith, and trying there best for a market crash that will effect more than house prices.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:57 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by british whinger
trying there best for a market crash that will effect more than house prices.
Yes, it *will* affect more than house prices, but unfortunately it's inevitable that there will be a painful correction. Interest rates remained too low for too long and too many people borrowed too much money as a result. Even Eddie George is willing to admit this, now that he's no longer in charge of the BoE.

Did you ever see that BBC Money Programme investigation a few years ago? It started from the premise that house prices had rocketed up far faster than salaries, so how were people managing to afford to buy any more? One of the answers was that a lot of people were borrowing on self-certification mortgages, where the lender never actually asked to see any proof of income - you just wrote down the amount you needed to borrow and you got it, even if it accounted for 99.9% of your monthly income.

Self-cert mortgages were supposed to be used *only* by the self-employed, who couldn't necessarily show a regular income each month - they might go a couple of months with little or nothing come in, then get a large payment that would cover them for the next few months.

Unfortunately, estate agents started pushing them as a way for people with salaried jobs to borrow more money than they would get through a normal mortgage. They did some undercover filming which showed how the agents basically said "Okay, we'll work out how much you need to say you're earning in order to get the mortgage you need, and then we'll just write that on the form. Nobody will check that you're actually earning that much".

So that's one of the ways that people were able to borrow far more money than they'd normally have been able to. And as that pushed house prices up further, it prompted banks to start relaxing their lending rules, which just fuelled the property price spiral even more.

At the bottom of all this lies an extended period of abnormally low interest rates. People borrowed larger and larger sums without any consideration for how they'd afford to meet their repayments should interest rates rise again. And interest rates always *do* rise again - as we can see now.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:53 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Spent some happy times in Salford Silly Sod. I have a mate who still lives there and he reckons there's a lot of new properties there now.
Where abouts is your mate from? Do you know pendleton at all? That is my neck of the woods. There is plenty of new property springing up but it is mistly out of the price range of first timers or single people. I guess that is why so many people are opting for houseshare these days. Who'd a think central salford would have become a difficult place to find a home, few years ago you couldn't give them away. ALl they have to put in the ad is: on bus route, five mins to central manchester.

It is happening on all sides of the city centre though. Who;d have ever thought you'd see yuppies clammering to get a place in Ancoats? no more room in the city centre proper for apartments so they are spreading out and pushing up the prices across the board. Oh well.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jackie. Yes, almost certainly salford to begin with but may consider Rossendale later on. Much better housing prices in the valley and nice walks to boot. Of course I am from the RED side lol. My best mate and kids godfather in Alabama (bastard follows me everywhere he he) is a dirty stinking blue though. He loves to call on the rare occsions that we lose and they win, GGrrrrrr. My mum would never get that price for her house I dont think but that was what the neighbour had theirs up for. We are almost on Salford Uni though so it is pretty lucrative for BTR there as there are so many students.

To JG: You will always be welcome in salford mate. There is no more lovely sight than the sun going down over Fitzwarren Court
Oh god I have actually communicated with a r-d!!! orrrrr (well to tell you the truth my hubbie is...thats why we had to migrate to the otherside of the world!!!!..only joking!! he's not a bad red.....he has a sense of humour and is only 99.9% biased towards Ut-!!!!!!
We were back in Manchester this March-May and we got tickets for City v Licerpool....(boring game...Liverpool were poor even with all their stars! playing and well City were City...you just love them!!! different this season....at loooooooooooooooong last!!) anway around Salford Quays and Uniteds ground the areas is lovely....they have done wonders...even had a drink at the Marc Addy....along the Irwell which now has all apartments around there...amazing.....the Irwell looked healthy...honestly even "trout" as been seen in large numbers!!!! love the country areas around North Manchester......even Blackpool sea front is having a few million spent on it...wonders never cease!!!!! were from near Glossop side of Manchester and we just love that kind of landscape and being near countryside.
Jackie
Good luck with everything...
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...and honestly I have some wonderful pictures of Salford Quays and the surrounding areas....really we should give the Old country credit for re-vamping these once Industrial and Old areas....it's a lot harder to do that then start building a new areas (as happens here in Perth all the time) which look wonderful but I wonder what they will look like in a 100 years or more.....
Even have pictures of us sat down near the two old pubs near Marks & Sparks in Manchester and the area around there is a credit..not to mention the old Corn Exchange Building and The Print works...oh and the Arndale Centre which use to look like a huge outside toilet looks fab now.....
Jackie who really does not work for the Manchester Toursit Board...but that's an idea!!!!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:31 pm
Banned

you cant be a real manc,,,, two pubs.

You mean shambles square, sinclairs and the wellington.

spot on pubs too.

please though be aware, your last statement, i wonder what these places will look like in 100 years,,, well isnt that what your saying about manchester uplifting and upgrading their appearance after that period

sorry im confused.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts is your mate from? Do you know pendleton at all? That is my neck of the woods. There is plenty of new property springing up but it is mistly out of the price range of first timers or single people. I guess that is why so many people are opting for houseshare these days. Who'd a think central salford would have become a difficult place to find a home, few years ago you couldn't give them away. ALl they have to put in the ad is: on bus route, five mins to central manchester.

It is happening on all sides of the city centre though. Who;d have ever thought you'd see yuppies clammering to get a place in Ancoats? no more room in the city centre proper for apartments so they are spreading out and pushing up the prices across the board. Oh well.

For the life of me I cant remember what part of Salford he's in at the moment (alzheimers) I used to live on the corner of Oldfield rd and Regent rd. I know Pendleton. I sometimes used to walk home from a nightclub in the city it's that close. It stands to reason Salford will become a popular place for new development due to it's location.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brits1
No not yet, we are going to put our home up for sale straight after New Year and hopefully leave March/April, we are just waiting on a college to get back to us for our eldest son (16) and my husband still has to finish his course here in Aus. We will stay with my dad at first (we are from Denton...Danebank) but we would like to look around Marple or Werneth Low area's...we lived near the "moors" before we left so are wanting to be near them again but our sons do not want to be too far from our families as they have missed them tons since living in Aus and want to be near them again...we are happy to do that.
Jackie

Sorry I must have missed your reply. Marple is a nice area. I dont want to live to far from the CBD if possible.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

you cant be a real manc,,,, two pubs.

You mean shambles square, sinclairs and the wellington.

spot on pubs too.

please though be aware, your last statement, i wonder what these places will look like in 100 years,,, well isnt that what your saying about manchester uplifting and upgrading their appearance after that period

sorry im confused.
No sorry I meant the new buildings etc here in Perth....everyone who comes over say how clean the place looks (well in the new areas) but that is because most of CBD areas was built in the 1960's onwards (a lot of the early buildings were demolished etc) so they still look new as do a lot of the suburbs but what will they look like after a 100 years or so?...a lot of West Aussies I have met who have gone to Europe say it looked old (go figure) and dirty in parts well you would do if you were 100's of years old!!! We went to Sinclairs and the Wellington....great food....great beer (according to my hubbie...I was driving and on Lime and Soda water!!!!..did'nt need a drink anyway I was just having a great time being home) andthe staff were very friendly..without being "false".....also went into the Manchester Cathederal not been there in years (I think it was with my old school Wright Robinson High) and I did not realise how old the actual site was...even went into the Library....never been in there before....you never see some things that are right on your doorstep ( I think tat is why we must of visited everything you can in Perth and most areas in W.A 10 times over..well no other choice really especially when you have family coming over...)sometimes....and it was an excellent place to see....and ofcourse the Lowery Centre...my hubbie is from Stalybridge originally and they lay some claim to Lowery!!!!
Jackie....who really has to go and start the Indian Chicken Curry I am making for tea....oh then there is Rusholm...best curries in the world....we should know...been to a lot of countries in our travels and there is nothing better than the British Style Indian Curries.....no offence meant..but our curries are slightly different to Indian ones....the wonderful Indian etc chefs have adapted them to the British pallet and I think they have improved on the originals!!! BUT that is our opinion only!!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I must have missed your reply. Marple is a nice area. I dont want to live to far from the CBD if possible.
I know, our eldest son (17 next Feb) wants to live nearer the City...he says he's lived the "quiet" life for to long now (gulp) and would really want to live nearer the City...we do but we want our cake and eat it...we want some countryside around us as well...so we may just settle back in Danebank near Reddish Vale (a little bit of countryside) or try Werneth Low still not far from the city....if we win the Lottery we would like one of the apartments at Salford Quays....that would be our weekday place and we would then have our country "aboad" as well........well a girl can dream.....
Jackie who really does have to go and make this curry now
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:30 am
Banned

brits1 ,

i do follow your post with great interest, cant say why , i think its the fact of your absolute enfactuation with manchester, there is only a few people like you around, terry chrisitian and the late tony wilson, a few of my mates love manchester too, and its there opionion which I admire in a strange way.

personally i dont care too much,

alot of your thoughts are exactly what an ex-pat suggests when they are not here, for me I cant afford to travel around Uk, money or time, and to tell you the truth, i have been around all the cathedral towns, that many times the only thing that changes is the price. but the parallel is, i am bored with thisplace like your bored with perth for the same reasons.

One thing im sure you will appreciate is, the stone walls around derbyshire are extra mossy and damp with special green colours. Lowry sums manchester up really doesnt he, if you study his art you will know why. plus he was a prick of the highest standing

shambles square on St georges day, is a testiment to British Culture, aload of football hooligans, parading around and singing violent songs,

Rusholme, stopped going there due to health and saftey reasons.

By the way I have tried continually to find why I want to bring my kids up in this country and cant find a single reason why I would want them to be educated in a rich society that is driven by greed and disrepect.

I will continue observing, maybe not disputing with you, but I hold your thoughts and discussion points in high regard, non the less.

Originally Posted by brits1
No sorry I meant the new buildings etc here in Perth....everyone who comes over say how clean the place looks (well in the new areas) but that is because most of CBD areas was built in the 1960's onwards (a lot of the early buildings were demolished etc) so they still look new as do a lot of the suburbs but what will they look like after a 100 years or so?...a lot of West Aussies I have met who have gone to Europe say it looked old (go figure) and dirty in parts well you would do if you were 100's of years old!!! We went to Sinclairs and the Wellington....great food....great beer (according to my hubbie...I was driving and on Lime and Soda water!!!!..did'nt need a drink anyway I was just having a great time being home) andthe staff were very friendly..without being "false".....also went into the Manchester Cathederal not been there in years (I think it was with my old school Wright Robinson High) and I did not realise how old the actual site was...even went into the Library....never been in there before....you never see some things that are right on your doorstep ( I think tat is why we must of visited everything you can in Perth and most areas in W.A 10 times over..well no other choice really especially when you have family coming over...)sometimes....and it was an excellent place to see....and ofcourse the Lowery Centre...my hubbie is from Stalybridge originally and they lay some claim to Lowery!!!!
Jackie....who really has to go and start the Indian Chicken Curry I am making for tea....oh then there is Rusholm...best curries in the world....we should know...been to a lot of countries in our travels and there is nothing better than the British Style Indian Curries.....no offence meant..but our curries are slightly different to Indian ones....the wonderful Indian etc chefs have adapted them to the British pallet and I think they have improved on the originals!!! BUT that is our opinion only!!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 ,

i do follow your post with great interest, cant say why , i think its the fact of your absolute enfactuation with manchester, there is only a few people like you around, terry chrisitian and the late tony wilson, a few of my mates love manchester too, and its there opionion which I admire in a strange way.

personally i dont care too much,

alot of your thoughts are exactly what an ex-pat suggests when they are not here, for me I cant afford to travel around Uk, money or time, and to tell you the truth, i have been around all the cathedral towns, that many times the only thing that changes is the price. but the parallel is, i am bored with thisplace like your bored with perth for the same reasons.

One thing im sure you will appreciate is, the stone walls around derbyshire are extra mossy and damp with special green colours. Lowry sums manchester up really doesnt he, if you study his art you will know why. plus he was a prick of the highest standing

shambles square on St georges day, is a testiment to British Culture, aload of football hooligans, parading around and singing violent songs,

Rusholme, stopped going there due to health and saftey reasons.

By the way I have tried continually to find why I want to bring my kids up in this country and cant find a single reason why I would want them to be educated in a rich society that is driven by greed and disrepect.

I will continue observing, maybe not disputing with you, but I hold your thoughts and discussion points in high regard, non the less.
Well maybe you should travel and then you might appreciate many things you take for granted...I could match everything you said about Manchester and double it...the things we have seen it just opens yours eyes to what really counts....I could go on about heritage etc but it's so much more than that...I hated Lowery's pictures...so depressing..and it was no doubt...I prefer Constable...etc...you get Violence...Bad Food......everywhere.......you might appreciate the fact that you can visit "Cathederal Cities" or different Towns...etc if you do not have that choice (we don't in W.A) and you know that this is all there is...it can drive you mad.....visiting places/countries is not cheap but it's a lot cheaper in Europe than it is here in Perth...it cost's hundred's just to fly out of W.A to another state let alone another country...so just do a stop check and stop sounding/feeling so bitter....life's for living and if I can make a good go of not much here in W.A (and again I don't mean to be rude) then heavens above you should be having a ball....beleive you me...we never had much money at home (still don't!!) but we use to go out for days and travelled around......we used busses and trains as we did this year (when we were visiting home) and again you appreciate what you have as we don't have a great public transports system in W.A.....sometimes you think the grass is greener...it might be for some but sometimes you have right what you need right under your nose...just have to clean those dull glasses you are wearing.....
Those guys you mentioned.....all travelled and they still loved Manchester warts and all...I am proud to be from Manchester always was always will be because I am a nice person....just normal...we still do produce people like that....
Jackie who still has to go and make this curry...my sons starving now (he says this while watching his "Royal Family" DVD series....now you don't get humour like that anywhere else in the world!!!!!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Quote - and the staff were very friendly..without being "false"

After I hadn't been back to Manchester for a lot of years, I was really surprised at how friendly my fellow mancs were. When you live there and have'nt been anywhere else you take it for granted. I have since travelled many countries around the world and met many nationalities and I'm proud to say the mancs are right up there with best of them.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:28 am
Banned

dont assume I have not travelled brits1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.