Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

House prices in UK - report

House prices in UK - report

Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:24 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default House prices in UK - report

hello, I post this link to a recent report on house prices because it may be useful to some of us moving back.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...id=57&ito=1723

The report is in a website that I have found useful for financial info in the UK, and it also sends out a email newsletter if you sign up for it.

I hope it helps those trying to figure out UK prices.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House prices in UK - report

Originally Posted by J.J
hello, I post this link to a recent report on house prices because it may be useful to some of us moving back.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...id=57&ito=1723

The report is in a website that I have found useful for financial info in the UK, and it also sends out a email newsletter if you sign up for it.

I hope it helps those trying to figure out UK prices.
I agree that Wales is pretty cheap in some areas, but unemployment is also pretty high in a lot of these areas, so anyone moving back should consider their employment situation. I almost bought a house in Mountain Ash (close to the #1 street in the report) and it would have been a great buy. Not as cheap as the report (110k), but 3-BR, attic room, big living room, nice garden, completely renovated (and tastefully - real wood floors, etc.), large bathroom, end terrace, lovely side of the valley in a decent (but certainly not posh) part of Mountain Ash, good transport links to where I worked (and into Cardiff). It's up for sale again at the moment at 115k. Houses there take a long time to sell at the moment so I think they are being hit by the recession more than most - but prime opportunity for buyers (if you can get the banks to lend to you!)

Beware of house price reports, though - some are independent/unbiased, but the amount of variability in what they report is a sign of a) bias in many, b) differences in how "average house price" is calculated (and most organisations won't disclose exactly what methods they use), and c) house sale volume is currently so low that the data are less stable/precise than when houses were flying out the shop window.

[Guess what? I just checked again and the house in Mountain Ash has sold, within days of appearing on Right Move. Houses are selling, when buyers and sellers are being realistic and banks are lending]

Last edited by dunroving; Apr 16th 2010 at 8:11 am.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree that Wales is pretty cheap in some areas, but unemployment is also pretty high in a lot of these areas, so anyone moving back should consider their employment situation. I almost bought a house in Mountain Ash (close to the #1 street in the report) and it would have been a great buy. Not as cheap as the report (110k), but 3-BR, attic room, big living room, nice garden, completely renovated (and tastefully - real wood floors, etc.), large bathroom, end terrace, lovely side of the valley in a decent (but certainly not posh) part of Mountain Ash, good transport links to where I worked (and into Cardiff). It's up for sale again at the moment at 115k. Houses there take a long time to sell at the moment so I think they are being hit by the recession more than most - but prime opportunity for buyers (if you can get the banks to lend to you!)

Beware of house price reports, though - some are independent/unbiased, but the amount of variability in what they report is a sign of a) bias in many, b) differences in how "average house price" is calculated (and most organisations won't disclose exactly what methods they use), and c) house sale volume is currently so low that the data are less stable/precise than when houses were flying out the shop window.
Yes, it is all regional. I am surprised to see some reasonably priced (but not bargain) properties in the Devon/Cornwall area. Maybe this is because there is a high percentage of second homes here and these are the first to go when times get tough. For myself, I will wait and see what happens when interest rates rise.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yes, it is all regional. I am surprised to see some reasonably priced (but not bargain) properties in the Devon/Cornwall area. Maybe this is because there is a high percentage of second homes here and these are the first to go when times get tough. For myself, I will wait and see what happens when interest rates rise.
We have only been in the UK for 8mths now, and I agree with John, Devon, (beautiful as it is) does have some reasonably priced homes...With that being said, WE just purchased our first home down there a fixer upper, but we don't mind. Haven't moved in yet, but couldn't see us being house poor and buying an over-priced new build!