Homesickness :(((

Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:01 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
Knowing you want to make it work. I forced myself to go to a gym and swim regularly. Hated every moment cos I'm not the type BUT it did something for my energy levels and I felt better afterwards so persevered.
What a lovely post, Scarlett. I agree with every word you say. Especially the one above. Aerobics is a great outlet....
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Mandy is Blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so very much for your replies and advice. Just reading it makes me feel better.

There are so many things that I have already done to overcome my loneliness (gym, snowboarding, driving around, painting, shopping, reading, writing etc.) but it is so depressing doing all these things by yourself. I'm a totally different person when me and my husband go visit his family and friends, but unfortunately they live about 500miles away from us. There is just no way to substitute your friends and family with bulking your day with activities. Unlike some of you I'm not the "romantic dreamy" kind of person. I am just very realistic. The beauty of nature, the beauty of things to me is just eye candy if you cannot share it with somebody.
But I will try more to make new friends...

Chatting to somebody "in line" doesn't usually develop further in my experience. Talking to people is not a problem but I'm not the kind of person that would push myself upon strangers.

We rarely get to see our naighbors because we live in an apt. complex where privacy seems to be pretty important.
Not even my husband has managed to make good friends at work yet because it's not what you call a casual environment (government). He works 12 hours a day which is a big minus. If he was here to keep me company I'd be a lot happier...

Volounteering does sound like a good idea so perhaps I'm gonna look into it. I'm an atheist though, so I can't go to church.
I keep thinking that I didn't get my university degree to do a shitty job like waitressing though. I put all my efforts into education in my past and I think this is probably what is most frustrating right now. I was always very career oriented so it is also WHO I am now that I'm not satisfied with.
I don't think making your husband happy is your #1 priority. Making yourself happy is...

Again, thank you so much for your ideas. I really appreciate it and I hope things will get better for us.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear things feel so black at the moment.
I've been here for 3 months exactly today. I'm lucky in that my husband has a wide circle of lovely caring friends and having children I HAVE to get out and about so in a lot of ways it's easier for me. But I do understand how you're feeling. When my first husband died I thought the lights would never come on again and that colored everything. And though that might sound like a mad comparison there are some similarities in that you are experiencing a sense of helplessness and loss of your old home/culture and I thought some of the things I tried back then might help.

Feeling down makes you feel like not doing the very things that could make you feel better so a bit of forcing yourself is sometimes in order. Knowing my kids needed me was what did it for me. I hope knowing your new husband can do it for you. Knowing you want to make it work. I forced myself to go to a gym and swim regularly. Hated every moment cos I'm not the type BUT it did something for my energy levels and I felt better afterwards so persevered. It was that or prozac! My doc offered it to me and that scared me into sorting myself out. I binned the prescription and went down the health food shop to see if they had any better suggestions - that was where the exercise came in. Also, I treated myself to sunbeds, not to get brown but again because - especially in the long winter months - it can feel like a little bit of sunshine and make you feel better. I went for a walk outside every day even when it was cold. Looked at trees and grass. I didn't feel like doing a single one of those things at the start. Mainly I wanted to lie under my duvet forever. . But after a while things definitely began to change. And as my depression slowly began to lift I realised some of the things I had been seeing as black weren't really black at all. They had just been coloured that way by sadness.

I'm not going to tell you you should just be glad you're together and think of all the people still waiting. That's like telling a kid to eat their artichokes because people are starving in Africa. It's hard when things look bleak. And it's not going to get easier overnight. But some of the things suggested by so many people here might help. They might help even if you don't feel like they will and even if you don't feel you have the energy to try.

My advice - pick a couple of the suggestions in this thread, even if you think they're not going to work, and give them a few weeks of effort. Even if it's just to be able to reply in a few weeks to tell us how useless our suggestions were. It'll be a help to Bobzy if nothing else. And you have nothing to lose!

You took an incredibly courageous step coming all this way to be with your husband. So I know that despite how you're feeling you're a woman of strength. It's time to take another step - and everybody here is rooting for you.

Stay in touch. I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs
-=-
Scarlett
Scarlett:

Absolutely superb advise. Your story rang so true for me. Although I'm not the one moving to another country, I did move a couple times due to my late husbands job transfers. When he died I was living in a state with no family members what so ever. I did have friendly neighbors and of course my son....that was really helpful. But I did have to go out and re-start my social life again, and that took some effort.

I sympathize with anyone who makes the big move the the USA. It has to be exciting, yet you are now living in a totally different culture.

A while back I met a older lady at the gas (petrol ;-) station and she saw I had a union jack flag sticker on the back of my car. She wondered if I was from UK, "no I said, but my fiance is". She then told me that she came over to USA with her new GI husband after word war II. I asked her did she ever miss not living in UK. She said in the beginning she missed family...but that she visits now and again and totally loves living in this country. Of course by this time she has been here for about 40 years and her kids were born and raised here. So maybe I'm going now where with this little story, but I think everyone goes through adjustment time and hopefully finds a nice balance in the end.

Best of luck everyone...
Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mandy is Blue
Thank you so very much for your replies and advice. Just reading it makes me feel better.

I keep thinking that I didn't get my university degree to do a shitty job like waitressing though.
Mandy

Sorry, hon, but you just lost my sympathy. I have a college degree and have had it since 1982 with a major in business administration and a minor in marketing. And I worked as a waitress for 13 years before, during and after obtaining that degree (either full time or part time) to provide support for my two children and pay for my degree. So that shitty job as you call it, provided food, clothing, shelter and many extras that made the lives of my then little girls fun. No job is beneath anyone as long as it is a job done to the best of your ability and honestly.

For the record, I chose not to pursue a career with my degree but opted to earn the most money in my field of endeavor. I have priced myself out of the market in the legal secretarial profession and have in the past earned in the six figures with that one occupation alone. Not bad for a woman with a bachelor's degree and who has been a waitress and barmaid on occasion, owned her own catering business for two years before selling out and whose mother who had a university degree from Germany but could only find menial employment in the US after migrating and once cleaned the toilets for the onetime governor of New York State, Malcom Wilson. (And no he is not a relation!)

Rita
Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Mandy

Sorry, hon, but you just lost my sympathy. I have a college degree and have had it since 1982 with a major in business administration and a minor in marketing. And I worked as a waitress for 13 years before, during and after obtaining that degree (either full time or part time) to provide support for my two children and pay for my degree. So that shitty job as you call it, provided food, clothing, shelter and many extras that made the lives of my then little girls fun. No job is beneath anyone as long as it is a job done to the best of your ability and honestly.

For the record, I chose not to pursue a career with my degree but opted to earn the most money in my field of endeavor. I have priced myself out of the market in the legal secretarial profession and have in the past earned in the six figures with that one occupation alone. Not bad for a woman with a bachelor's degree and who has been a waitress and barmaid on occasion, owned her own catering business for two years before selling out and whose mother who had a university degree from Germany but could only find menial employment in the US after migrating and once cleaned the toilets for the onetime governor of New York State, Malcom Wilson. (And no he is not a relation!)

Rita
Gotta agree with you Rete! If she wants to get out and get to know people, taking a job such as working at the mall or waitressing.....working in a bookstore like Borders or Barnes and Nobles wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. My sister just finished her masters, but while doing that she was working at the GAP (she had a degree and quit working as an advertising rep for a Chicago firm to get her masters). She didn't consider it beneath her. (Not to mention she got discounts .....lol)
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:09 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Mandy

Rita
So true Rete.
A job serving tables, telemarketing or working in a bookstore isn't below anyone, though some jobs may not appeal to some peoples personalities. I for example, could not work as a telemarketer/customer service rep, firstly because I have a phobia of phones and conversing on them, and am not a really outgoing, or influential person with strangers.

But just because a job doesnt match up to my degree, doesnt mean I wouldn't do it if I needed the money, or to get out and meet people. If it were not for our summer holiday being already booked, I'd apply for a data processing job, or something similar to get us some extra cash, or to go to college again. Instead, I go into the city, walk about and visit places of interest, and take lots of photos, keeping myself occupied.

To the original poster, all you've seen so far is one season. There are four in a year, wait until the 95 degree (35 celcius) summer weather comes into play.
I came from england last year having never seen more than an inch of snow or temperature above 75 degrees in my lifetime, what a surprise New York had for me in that respect, I loved it, because it was variety, a jolt.

It's understandable to get homesick, but you have the opportunity to do anything you can imagine here.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

I never said the job was beneath me. I have been waitressing before and didn't enjoy it. I know I probably won't find a dream job here, but I have a choice and I will choose to do something that I enjoy. If you were a waitress for 13 years that was your choice.
I don't think it is fair of you to judge me just because I want to do something different. If my existance or that of my family was depending on a job that I found shitty I would still do it, but it probably wouldn't make me happy. That's all I'm saying.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:21 pm
ScarlettHill

I have to agree with not judging a person's profession. I have been an editor and a brown-coat apple packer (brown-coat coming just below apple-stalk in the factory hierarchy). I've employed a cleaner and I've been a cleaner, I've worked for nothing and I've been grateful to receive government benefits when I've hit rock bottom. Worst and best of all I've done time as a single mum living in a housing project. There's nothing like other people assuming you're dirt under their feet to give you a sense of perpective when you finally get your shoes back on. Who I am and what I do at any given time are entirely separate matters.

My mum is the most beautiful person I know. She is full of wisdom and downright drenched in kindness and compassion. Right now she gets up at 5am every morning and drives her battered old trailer to a lay-by on the Cumbrian A66 and spends her day serving the best bacon sandwiches any trucker anywhere has ever tasted. They come from everywhere, most of them know her name - and she knows theirs, which is why they keep coming back.

Everyone has their stories - the guy sweeping the street, and the woman walking it. I'm privileged to have eaten breakfast with both. Let's hear it for diversity and difference and leave judgement to the REAL lowlifes - the politicians!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I never said the job was beneath me. I have been waitressing before and didn't enjoy it. I know I probably won't find a dream job here, but I have a choice and I will choose to do something that I enjoy. If you were a waitress for 13 years that was your choice.
I don't think it is fair of you to judge me just because I want to do something different. If my existance or that of my family was depending on a job that I found shitty I would still do it, but it probably wouldn't make me happy. That's all I'm saying.
Then that is what you should have said instead of writing a put down for all those hard working waiters and waitresses in the world who do back breaking labor to make your eating experience pleasurable.

It was you who judged me, albeit without knowing you had insulted a newsgroup poster, by your callous remark that you didn't get a university degree to do a shitty job like waitressing. In case you aren't aware of it there is a recession in this country at the moment and jobs are difficult for many to come by. I know two fine upstanding US citizens with over 25 years of experience and both with multiple "university degrees" who have been unemployed for over a year. Also your foreign university degree might be worthless in the US if it is in the field of engineering. You might want to look into having it evaluated for an equivalency degree obtained in the US.

Glad you have your choices and can hold out on your husband's salary for the dream job or at least one you enjoy. Not everyone has had that luxury.

Now my choice is to remove myself from your thread.

Rita
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:32 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has their stories - the guy sweeping the street, and the woman walking it. I'm privileged to have eaten breakfast with both. Let's hear it for diversity and difference and leave judgement to the REAL lowlifes - the politicians!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
I totally agree with you, Scarlett. I have also been on various levels of the job market, and it has certainly been an education to me! People in general, I find totally fascinating!

And to the OP, I hope you find something to suit you and you will get through this.

~Debbie
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know that Rete & Ranjini are closer to my age, not sure how old Scarlett is but if young is wise for her years. Mandy I think you need to be a bit more open to what these women are telling you.

You don't want to be a waitress, fine, but there are so many other jobs that you can get to tide you over while you are waiting for the one you went to Uni for. A job doesn't have to be a, as you put it "shitty" one just because it doesn't require a degree to hold it. There has to be something other than the job you studied for that would be enjoyable until someone hires you. It isn't going to be permanent, just to get you out and around people.

My husband had his own business in the UK and when he came here he had to work for someone else. Wasn't what he wanted to be doing long term, but knew he had to do something in the interm before he could start his own company here. (Granted many in the US would think it a lowly type job, but it pays quite well and he actually enjoys doing it...and that's what matters enjoying it.)

What it comes down to is, you can sit on the computer feeling sorry for yourself, or take some very wise advice from those that have learned through life what truly matters. We're only trying to make it easier for you actually, as we have lumps and bumps and war scars gained through experience.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:40 pm
Op

Default Re: Homesickness :(((

"Mandy is Blue" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > ....
    > was always very career oriented so it is also WHO I am now that I'm not
    > satisfied with.

I left behind my own (profitable) business and over 20 yrs of business
contacts, and nobody here cares to hear about that, so sometimes I feel like
I have disappeared and am invisible to everyone else, or they are inhabiting
a different world and I don't fit, so I do know what you mean by 'WHO
I am now that I'm not satisfied with'. But that could have happened in the
old country - you might one day have found yourself in a field that slammed
right into a downturn and been faced with having to think about getting into
something new. Think hard about it - did you really want to stay in one
career for your whole working life anyway when it comes right down to it?
Every problem is an opportunity, they say, and necessity is the mother of
invention. The more things you try the more likely you'll find something
that might lead you in a new and unexpected direction. Good luck, I wish
you well.

Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Debbie, Scarlett, Steve&Lisa and everybody else who knows how it feels to start a new life away from your home.
It was certainly not my intent to offend anyone by using the word "shitty" for jobs that I don't enjoy doing.

I guess I really only wanted to hear how other people deal with culture shock, homesickness and loneliness and if it gets better after a while...
Your advice and criticism certainly helped me open my eyes.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dbark
I totally agree with you, Scarlett. I have also been on various levels of the job market, and it has certainly been an education to me! People in general, I find totally fascinating!

And to the OP, I hope you find something to suit you and you will get through this.

~Debbie
LOL, Debbie I love people ....they are such fascinating creatures...and no matter where I go...I chatter away to anyone. In line, in an elevator, on a bus, at the doctors office. I forgot where I was while in the UK though, for just like UKers get looks when they speak here, opening your mouth as a Yank I found out gets you gawks as well in the UK.

Steve took me to Matlock and we went into the mines. They were decribing how they collected the ore, how they sent it up to the women who in turn then washed it. One person asked did they die young from working in the lead mines, the tour guide said no, only was a danger if you got it wet. I spoke out stating ....."Oh so the women died young then." (we were in the back too) Suddenly the entire tour group turned in unison (or so it seemed) and stared open mouth at me. LOL! Steve said it wasn't the question, but rather the accent (what accent). ;o)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.