The Homesick Thread!!

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:01 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future
Default The Homesick Thread!!

I know this has been done before, buit i cant find the original post..

So feel free to list all things you miss about the U.K (no matter how big or small).

Mod's is there anyway to keep this post alive as it always makes a happy read!

This is my list:

Proper Christmas's (30+ degrees is not normal LOL)
Squirrels
Hedgehogs
Blackberry Picking (and fruit picking in general)
Small Narrow Country Roads
Two Storey Houses
Washing Up Bowls (hee hee)
Decent Laundy Powder (Arial)
Fish and Chippies
Gammon Steak and Proper Ham
Faggotts (meat balls)
Jelly Babies with the crunchy outshell (powdery, crunchy)
The Beebs
Commercial Free TV
Cool days
warm days where you appreciate the sun (and not hate it!)
Double Decker buses
Black Taxis (london cabbies)
Sweetie Shops
Delivered Milk
Postman on his bicycle
2 Mail deliveries a day
Letter Boxes in the front door
McVities, Penguins and those marshmallow thingos
ALL UK Crisps (aka aussie - cheeeps)
Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda
High Street Shopping
Marks and Sparks
Debonhams
Boots!!!

And more that i cant think of right now...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:36 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Homesick Thread!!

I know it's silly....but here goes....

Rhubarb ! I really miss Rhubarb Crumble.

Sue

Originally Posted by Aqua2778

So feel free to list all things you miss about the U.K (no matter how big or small).

This is my list:

Squirrels
Hedgehogs
Two Storey Houses
Fish and Chippies
Faggotts (meat balls)
The Beebs
Commercial Free TV
Cool days
Double Decker buses
Sweetie Shops
Delivered Milk
Postman on his bicycle
2 Mail deliveries a day
High Street Shopping
Marks and Sparks
Debonhams
Boots!!!

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:43 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Aqua2778

This is my list:

Squirrels
Hedgehogs
Two Storey Houses
Fish and Chippies
Faggotts (meat balls)
The Beebs
Commercial Free TV
Cool days
Double Decker buses
Sweetie Shops
Delivered Milk
Postman on his bicycle
2 Mail deliveries a day
High Street Shopping
Marks and Sparks
Debonhams
Boots!!!

Country walks
Country pubs
gale swept beaches with cold grey waves
decent newspapers...not just one national paper, one state paper and a local rag
decent tv
far fewer ad breaks on tv
going to the football
no sharks or nasty jellyfish in the sea
pebbly beaches.....bl**dy sand !
not being overtaken on the left by idiot drivers
beer by the pint
proper beer
Ready-Brek on cold winters mornings
cold winters mornings
drizzly wet days
light summer evenings
dark winter evenings by the fire
being able to spend long periods outside without having to worry about getting burnt
proper shops - no more identical shopping malls
Burger King...not Hungry Jacks....where did that name come from?
being surrounded by, and feeling part of history
Architecture
decent bookshops
having a chioce of more than 6 makes of car
music
live bands touring more than once a decade
thousands upon thousands of towns and villages...dozens of cities...
hundreds of which I've never even heard of. I bet I could name every town in queensland !
amazing variety of countryside
easy and cheap international travel

etc etc....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:54 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

The feeling nothing else can ever replace..........knowing that you're home.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
The feeling nothing else can ever replace..........knowing that you're home.
Hey Calle - isn't the Superbowl taking place in your city on Sunday?

Are you going? LOL!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:37 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Hey Calle - isn't the Superbowl taking place in your city on Sunday?

Are you going? LOL!

Yes, it is here! I wont be going. I wont even tread into town this weekend. It will be soooo crowded. I think some of it would be nice but I still cant believe they decided to have it here. Jacksonville is not exactly a city with much to do. And the weather is not cooperating. It has been grey and windy and cool all week. But.. I would love to run into Paul McCartney!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:12 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Yes, it is here! I wont be going. I wont even tread into town this weekend. It will be soooo crowded. I think some of it would be nice but I still cant believe they decided to have it here. Jacksonville is not exactly a city with much to do. And the weather is not cooperating. It has been grey and windy and cool all week. But.. I would love to run into Paul McCartney!!
Ah, yes. It's everyone's favourite past time at the moment... celebrity spotting. All I've seen so far though is loads of streeeetch limos.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 3:08 pm
delphiman

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Ah, yes. It's everyone's favourite past time at the moment... celebrity spotting. All I've seen so far though is loads of streeeetch limos.

All the above plus TOWN CENTERS...real ones you can stroll round with high streets and proper shops that are all different, and with pubs selling proper lunches with real beer. And then go for a WALK into some beautiful countryside just minutes away without wondering if you're going to get savaged by anything from Mossies to to Poisonous Spiders to Snakes to Alligators.

I absolutely hate all these crappy strip malls with their identical crap shops selling crap I dont need or want and all you can get to eat is McCrappys Burgers or some other fast food pap.

Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by delphiman
And then go for a WALK into some beautiful countryside just minutes away without wondering if you're going to get savaged by anything from Mossies to to Poisonous Spiders to Snakes to Alligators.
And let's not forget nutters with guns :scared:
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Jamo will become famous soon enough

British sausages
The Grandstand videprinter
Central heating
Affordable cheeses
English subtitles on foreign films
Pubs that smell lived in
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

End of a Dream is an unknown quantity at this point

I love it here, see my other thread, but its not perfect here. I miss

1) Decent banking
2) The BBC, especially Horizon, Top Gear and Radio 4 ( I can get the latter on the net though, but not in a car sadly)
3) Courteous driving, though obviously not any of the british motorways
4) Reasonably relaxed road policing, apart from the cameras
5) Tescos 'Finest'
6) Bacon
7) Internet shopping, its crap here, which means I have to go to the shops
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:49 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by End of a Dream
I love it here, see my other thread, but its not perfect here. I miss

1) Decent banking
2) The BBC, especially Horizon, Top Gear and Radio 4 ( I can get the latter on the net though, but not in a car sadly)
3) Courteous driving, though obviously not any of the british motorways
4) Reasonably relaxed road policing, apart from the cameras
5) Tescos 'Finest'
6) Bacon
7) Internet shopping, its crap here, which means I have to go to the shops

No matter what happens, its really good that you can start looking to the positives. Good for your own emotional well veing.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:59 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Hanging my washing out on the line- don't think i've ever seen one over here!
Coming home with hot fish and chips and eating it out of the paper(not styrofoam containers)
The salvation army playing outside in the town at christmas
I really miss listening to regional accents, I know they have different accents in the US but it's just not the same
Castle ruins
Getting a wolf whistle from the local building site!!!!!!(LOL)
Old Mar 1st 2005, 2:21 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I think I miss how I felt in the UK more than anything. If I could re-create that feeling of peacefullness, independence and ease I think I would fit into my new home in the states a lot quicker. Its been nearly a year since I emigrated and hte things I miss go beyond PG Tips most of the time. I'd rather have a cut in pay and not be afraid of having to go to the Doctors or shitting myself every time I see a copper rather than feeling i could be friendly towards police like I used to.
I still tell myself this won't be forever, that I will live in England again one day because I think the thought of never going back is too much to bear.
This process of adjustment is so weird and so topsey-turvey. Sometimes I feel like, Wow! I live in America! A northern girl from Blackburn! How the hell did that happen?! and I feel like I want to embrace all that is positive and optimistic about the American mindset. However when the flip side mood comes round I feel repulsed by the blind, overt patriotism, the insular culture, the love of money above all else. I think the USA fosters the most tense and uptight culture I've ever experienced and I find it difficult to really feel at ease within it.
I love my husband dearly and would not change him for the world, nor do i wish he were English but I hope one day he will be able to experience some of what I've had to go through in leaving the country and home I know for a new unfamiliar territory.
Oh and I really miss walking, no one here walks anywhere (unless you live in NYC, which I don't.) If you don't have a car you may as well shrivel up and die.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:53 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I think I miss how I felt in the UK more than anything. If I could re-create that feeling of peacefullness, independence and ease I think I would fit into my new home in the states a lot quicker. Its been nearly a year since I emigrated and hte things I miss go beyond PG Tips most of the time. I'd rather have a cut in pay and not be afraid of having to go to the Doctors or shitting myself every time I see a copper rather than feeling i could be friendly towards police like I used to.
I still tell myself this won't be forever, that I will live in England again one day because I think the thought of never going back is too much to bear.
This process of adjustment is so weird and so topsey-turvey. Sometimes I feel like, Wow! I live in America! A northern girl from Blackburn! How the hell did that happen?! and I feel like I want to embrace all that is positive and optimistic about the American mindset. However when the flip side mood comes round I feel repulsed by the blind, overt patriotism, the insular culture, the love of money above all else. I think the USA fosters the most tense and uptight culture I've ever experienced and I find it difficult to really feel at ease within it.
I love my husband dearly and would not change him for the world, nor do i wish he were English but I hope one day he will be able to experience some of what I've had to go through in leaving the country and home I know for a new unfamiliar territory.
Oh and I really miss walking, no one here walks anywhere (unless you live in NYC, which I don't.) If you don't have a car you may as well shrivel up and die.
I know what you mean Sarah, I often have the same thoughts myself about will I ever live at "home" again. Both of my parents have passed away so I do not have the draw of family at home but somehow your country of birth still seems to hold you, maybe if we lived somewhere other than the USA it may be easier? Who knows. Sending you some karma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.