Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Homesick after almost 5 years

Homesick after almost 5 years

Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick after almost 5 years

Originally Posted by ldollard
I'm in the same boat, paid a very good salary, if it was the UK equivalent i'd be living the high life, but i'll never make this much in England and i don't care, which goes to show my motives for moving back are good.
I'm with you on that. If I could transfer my job to the UK I would be in heaven.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:52 am
Just Joined

MKGIRLINSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldollard
I'm in the same boat, paid a very good salary, if it was the UK equivalent i'd be living the high life, but i'll never make this much in England and i don't care, which goes to show my motives for moving back are good.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:06 am
Just Joined

brithampton is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely know how you feel. It's not a nice feeling at all. I've been in USA for 16 years now and for the past 6 years, I've felt increasingly homesick and it's just got worse! I think about it many times every day and have been getting really upset about it. Like some of you, it's been financially really tough the last few years and I understand that lots of people have had difficulties, but still, all my friends in UK have a much better work/life balance and still enjoy holidays and free time. We really do hardly anything, never plan holidays and really have nothing in the pipeline to look forward to. My husband is also British, but he really doesn't want to go back. However, in the last couple of months, we've been discussing it (as I think our family members can see how upset I am about being here long-term) and he has agreed to go back - been looking at rental properties on internet, thinking about where to live. We've even told a couple of friends. Yay! But then just when I dare to think we'll go back, he will make negative observations about the U.K - his job prospects, the economy, the weather, smaller home and talking about "waving goodbye to what we have here". So one day I'm excited and the next I'm feeling resigned that I'm stuck here for a really long time (we have kids and the next couple of years are the window to return home). I could deal with it for another year or two, but longer than that....hang in there, I sympathize, hope it works out.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

I am soooo glad it's not just me. I really feel for anyone finding themselves in this situation.

We have been in NZ for nearly 8 years now and I have done my dash. Hubby has said he is willing to go back but we are both worried about getting jobs and starting again. (Having said that I have been largely unemployed for the last 2 years)

I know I will feel so guilty if we go back and he is unhappy.

We also find ourselves in a situation (like many others I'm sure) that would mean us splitting our family.

We have very few friends here but then again if we go back how easy would it be to make friends there?

We are at a stage in life when we should be enjoying our new found freedom (only 1 child left at home) but I find there is nowhere to go to do this. I guess I am just not outdoorsy enough.

Anyway just wanted to say I feel for you and hope it works out.

We are going back in a few months for a visit - I'm really hoping this will clarify things for us.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:22 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

ChrisCDN,

I think my husband could have posted what you have written. Although he hasnt told me yet. I am waiting for the bombshell and it hit him after 5 years and a year after he lostboth his parents.
I have told him that if we need to move to another province or back to the UK then we will look into it, research properly and make sure we have citizenship before we make any huge decisions.

Havnt got any big advice for you, just wanted to let you know, you are so not alone.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:20 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It is a bit of a bombshell if you hadn't made any previous comments about moving back. Give your wife a bit of time for it to sink in before having a talk about the future.
She probably had a knee jerk reaction with it being a shock revelation, I know Dh had a similar reaction years ago, and now we are getting ourselves ready for the move. So all hope isn't lost.
Same here. I remember my husband saying no way to going home, and now we've been here almost a year and are both happy as clams. It took him about 6 months to come round.

To the OP, I'd say don't give up hope and, as Mummy says, give this some time to settle with your wife.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I remember telling my husband I wanted to go back and he was completely against it.

We've been back for 4 months now!!!

I had to give him time to think things through. In the end he realised it made sense and also realised how home sick he really was and how good a job he was doing of suppressing it!

Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:15 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences on this forum. Reading some of them brought tears to my eyes. I too am in a similar situation, whereby I am unhappy living in Canada, but my OH would be happy to stay.

We may soon be in the situation where we are able to make a decision on whether to stay here or return to the UK [due to house sale]. One of us will be disappointed, and the tricky thing is knowing how to cope with that. Homesickness can hit anyone at any time, and until you've been through it you can't fully understand how it feels and affects your everyday life. There is no right or wrong answer, each person has their own feelings which are valid.

I wish everyone on here the very best of luck, and hope that you are all able to resolve your dilemas, I really do.

Best of luck everyone
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

BlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant future

17 years in America- 10 wanting not to be here really. This poem runs around my head...

Rupert Brooke. 1887–1915

The Soldier

IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:50 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by BlueMorpho
17 years in America- 10 wanting not to be here really. This poem runs around my head...

Rupert Brooke. 1887–1915

The Soldier

That is so beautiful!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:45 am
Just Joined

MKGIRLINSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueMorpho

Rupert Brooke. 1887–1915

The Soldier

Brought tears to my ears. So lovely.