Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Home 2 months today and having a mood crash!

Home 2 months today and having a mood crash!

Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:51 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home 2 months today and having a mood crash!

Originally Posted by Mallory
The reason that most everyone on here likes DDL/Denise's postings so much is that she is so honest. She loves the UK, and she loves the USA. She tells it like it is, she doesn't sugarcoat anything. She has been on here telling us how she failed her driving test, how much she misses her children and grandchildren, about the fabulous tea rooms in the UK, the stately homes she has been to. I love all of her observations about everything - from the price of food, how to get car insurance, how to get a spouse visa. She is a wealth of information, and on top of that SHE IS SO NICE! Thanks Denise.
[/I]
I so agree with you Mallory in your appreciation of Denise's posts.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Home 2 months today and having a mood crash!-mmon357l.jpg
Old Aug 10th 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
So today is exactly 2 months since we came back home to the UK and as of yesterday, I am experiencing an environment crash of some sort. We went out yesterday and everything just seemed so crappy. Although I did not like living in America, I will admit that middle American suburbs are clean and spotless. The town we lived in had no dog poop on the street's or kid's running around swearing and OMG all the 15 - 20 year old'd who have kids and just let them do whatever. Seems we are a minority for believing in marriage. Yes America has plenty of teenage mother's but it seems far greater here since it is a smaller area.
Starting to notice that there is so much dog poop around and wannabe gangster's in their tracksuits with pit bull's. We are missing the speed of things in America. For example the health system. Although it is a fortune, you do get things you need. I have been waiting since start of June for a damn letter from the Neuro place to get my appointment. Can take up to 4 months!! BUT! at least it is free and there for all people of the UK.
We miss having a car. We decided to not get one straight away as the public system here is great. Now we are going to buy a car. It is a hassle without one.
Really starting to see why we left for America in the first place, but at the same time we can see why we hated living in America and came home. No country is perfect. Just having a sorta transition crash.

I do know of some expats who after a few weeks panicked and packed up and went back (both ways) and really thats up to you, you can either pack up and go...or take a breath and chill....you have only just returned, I am not sure where but does not sound like somewhere I would want to live, if your feeling like you do about a place then don't stay there, try a new area, if you don't want to use public transport then do buy a car...those things can be easily fixed if you want them to be fixed, to be fair in any country a few weeks here or there is really not enough time to give somewhere a "go", I think for some migrants if life start getting to them for whatever reason they blame a country mainly for their problems. You do need to remember why you wanted to return home....if you came back home thinking everything you wanted to leave in the first place had been "fixed" thats just not being realistic and it really does not do any good to keep comparing you past life to your present one. The NHS is an excellent system and everyone knows of the waiting lists thats what happens when its "free" did you use the "free" hospitals in the U.S? if not why? why not go private here if you did in the U.S, did you live in an area that had teenage Mothers and unruly kids on the streets etc (surely there are plenty of areas like that in the U.S?), if you did not live in areas like that there then why would you live in one here? From my travels, bad areas,bad Health Systems etc, bad people are the same the world over to a certain degree it all depends on your areas,your budget.....
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that most everyone on here likes DDL/Denise's postings so much is that she is so honest. She loves the UK, and she loves the USA. She tells it like it is, she doesn't sugarcoat anything. She has been on here telling us how she failed her driving test, how much she misses her children and grandchildren, about the fabulous tea rooms in the UK, the stately homes she has been to. I love all of her observations about everything - from the price of food, how to get car insurance, how to get a spouse visa. She is a wealth of information, and on top of that SHE IS SO NICE! Thanks Denise.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:25 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I'm off to Ireland tomorrow!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh....how lucky are you!! Where are you going? For how long?
My plan is still in place for Oct/Nov. So much to do. Have a splendid trip!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Have a wonderful trip - hope you get good weather. Pack your umbrella (just in case)!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Have a wonderful trip - hope you get good weather. Pack your umbrella (just in case)!!
For sure!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mallory have a fab time let us know how you get on and you know how to find me cead mile failta Denise 2
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:29 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Oh Mallory have a fab time let us know how you get on and you know how to find me cead mile failta Denise 2
Had a great time in Ireland - it was SO beautiful. Especially loved the west coast, including Galway, the ferry ride over the river Shannon, the Cliffs of Moher, and the beautiful area of Connemara. We had some lovely sunny days, mostly warm, one or two days of rain and sun, and one quite cold and windy day in Dublin. Flew Aer Lingus, and can highly recommend. Only snag about the whole trip was that it's VERY expensive in S Ireland.

We went to Europe in June, and found Ireland to be more expensive. Had good weather on both trips, so can't complain. News on telly from both ROI and England very depressing, as well as newspapers. World seems to be in an uproar! Glad to be back in USA after a whirlwind trip. Trip to England next year, so gotta start saving again!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Had a great time in Ireland - it was SO beautiful. Especially loved the west coast, including Galway, the ferry ride over the river Shannon, the Cliffs of Moher, and the beautiful area of Connemara. We had some lovely sunny days, mostly warm, one or two days of rain and sun, and one quite cold and windy day in Dublin. Flew Aer Lingus, and can highly recommend. Only snag about the whole trip was that it's VERY expensive in S Ireland.

We went to Europe in June, and found Ireland to be more expensive. Had good weather on both trips, so can't complain. News on telly from both ROI and England very depressing, as well as newspapers. World seems to be in an uproar! Glad to be back in USA after a whirlwind trip. Trip to England next year, so gotta start saving again!
Mallory, am so delighted that you enjoyed Ireland, Connemara is my favourite spot as well. S. Ireland is very expensive, and it makes me so mad They just keep putting VAT and taxing everything, well maybe if visitors stop coming and they suffer, they might get their act together:unsure, I keep hoping anyway, all the best Denise2
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm suprised this thread hasn't had more replies. Surely more people have had 'mood crashes' ,'hit the wall' or simply said to themselves, " What have I/we done.", at some stage during their settling in period.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

sirscotsalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
I am new to the expat site but I have been following your posts. I was wondering if you were feeling better with your decision to return to the uk. I am planning on returning in a few months. I know I will experience culture shock and lots of other emotions, negative and positive. Hope you are settling in and things are going well for you and your family. Just wondering what part of Scotland do you live in?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I'm suprised this thread hasn't had more replies. Surely more people have had 'mood crashes' ,'hit the wall' or simply said to themselves, " What have I/we done.", at some stage during their settling in period.
I've not been on here for some time TBH I've been avoiding BE as I'm exactly one of those people having a "what have we done?" phase 4 months in. I'm not wanting to post negative stuff to those who are feeling anxious about returning...BUT...the job market is really getting me down and causing some major panic at times, more and more the longer it goes on.

Neither DH or I are having any luck, we expected this for him as he is an architect and construction is always one of the first casualties in a recession but as I am a nurse with 16 years experience we thought I would have no problems. Mostly I don't hear back, have had 2 interviews and both times felt like I was there to make up the numbers, one of the interviewers said that they were inundated with applications and interviews are held over 2 days which I've never known before.

The nurse bank are not hiring, agencies promise to call you back but mostly don't it's quite soul destroying really. Started to apply for for shop work and was even turned down for that as even supermarkets are asking for previous experience.

DH is currently studying for an exam and is looking at retraining but that will take some time and we were counting on me working during that time, our deposit is dwindling away as we are not eligable for benefits and I worry that we may never be able to get back on the housing market.

So sorry for the rant but I guess I needed to vent today I'm not really keeping in touch with friends at the mo as I don't want to be a misery guts and it's a bit humiliating as people will give you advice about applying for any old job not realising that they're not really an option - and you did ask for it
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that BB! I guess I am a tad surprised at the nurse situation, I would have thought there was a demand for nurses. I really hope it picks up for you - are you in an area particularly hard hit do you think? Can you spread your net wider?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.