Hinchley Wood, Esher

Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hinchley Wood, Esher

Surrey.

I have spotted another potential job, what's this place like? I have googled it and according to Wikipaedia:

Hinchley Wood is placed at number 49 in the 2003 book Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK (ISBN 0-7522-1582-5).

Yet it looks in such a posh part of the country - but we Northerner's thing that about everywhere darn Sarf.

Any locals or ex locals have an opinion, please share and most importantly would YOU live there?

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 21st 2011 at 12:28 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hinchley Wood, Esher

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Surrey.

I have spotted another potential job, what's this place like? I have googled it and according to Wikipaedia:

Hinchley Wood is placed at number 49 in the 2003 book Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK (ISBN 0-7522-1582-5).

Yet it looks in such a posh part of the country - but we Northerner's thing that about everywhere darn Sarf.

Any locals or ex locals have an opinion, please share and most importantly would YOU live there?
I lived in Hinchley Wood for about 7 years. I think it's a nice subhurb with good access to a station into London Waterloo which avoids the massive crowds who embark at Surbiton.

It's easy to get to Kingston Upon Thames for shopping (John Lewis ), Hampton Court, Sandown Park (concerts and racing). Good restaurants within easy reach. A3 to London and M3.

House prices at the time we lived there were lower than Esher, and there is a small selection of local shops. Houses are predominantly 1930's, but prices have remained steady and haven't been affected so much by the economic woes.

We only moved because we wanted to be surrounded by more countryside, but that had its downsides, one of them being that you have to drive to most places.

I wouldn't hesitate to move back to the area.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I also think Hinchley Wood is OK - and so easy for Kingston which would be a great centre for employment and shopping. Shopping being more important of course.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

From 1988 to 1990 I worked in nearby Esher and drove from Addlestone each day. The town of Esher has a selection of shops, banks, restaurants etc. I drove through Esher a couple of years ago, not much had changed. Public transport to Surbiton, London etc are as mentioned. Esher gets mobbed by traffic & people on race days at Sandown Park Race Course. Larger towns for shopping would be Leatherhead and Kingston both about ten miles away. Other nearby little towns are Cobham, Stoke D'Abernon, Hersham and Walton-On-Thames. Just take a slow train from Waterloo to Esher, you'll see all the suburban stops from the train window ! The A3 is the main road to London but is crazy busy in the rush hour.

Last edited by Debbie2NZ; Sep 21st 2011 at 11:01 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 5:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ladies, sounds like quite a nice place to live so wonder why it made it into that book of crap towns? Unless said book was written by teenagers and there is no nightclub scene.

Ladylord, when you said you wanted more countryside does that mean Hinchley Wood is in sprawling suburbia?

I don't mind that so much as long as there are nearby leafy walks, does HW have any/many?

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you ladies, sounds like quite a nice place to live so wonder why it made it into that book of crap towns? Unless said book was written by teenagers and there is no nightclub scene.

Ladylord, when you said you wanted more countryside does that mean Hinchley Wood is in sprawling suburbia?

I don't mind that so much as long as there are nearby leafy walks, does HW have any/many?

Thanks
I concur that the traffic congestion was heavy around the Shepherd and Flock roundabout which separates Hinchley Wood from Esher, but there are always alternative routes. Claygate is not too bad either. Public transport is plentiful and nice walks can be found close to the River Thames depending how energetic you feel. When the Hampton Court Flower show is on we would walk there.

We moved to fulfil that house in the country dream(on the Surrey border), but it didn't live up to expectations as I felt isolated. Hinchley Wood is great for trips to London (30 mins) because you're more likely to get a seat before the hoards board at Surbiton. Thames Ditton is also a nice village, but pricey, probably because it's a quaint looking village, but a pain to drive through or park in.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:59 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Esher's not far from us, Barb. We've been there on market day. I think it's a nice place and an excellent location for getting around, but then again I'm very partial to Surrey. Love it.

Kingston excellent for shopping. BENTALLS!!!!!

Debbi****, hubby works in Addlestone.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

This residential job is actually RIGHT IN Hinchley Wood itself........so I would have no choice but to live there, of couse I have to actually get the job first, but no harm in being forearmed.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
Esher's not far from us, Barb. We've been there on market day. I think it's a nice place and an excellent location for getting around, but then again I'm very partial to Surrey. Love it.

Kingston excellent for shopping. BENTALLS!!!!!

Debbi****, hubby works in Addlestone.
We might get to meet for a cuppa yet Denise.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:48 pm
DDL

We might get to meet for a cuppa yet Denise.

Would absolutely love that, Barb.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

DDL - small world eh ? It was my Dad's house in Addlestone that we left from to come to NZ back in February. We had lived in Woking for over 17 years prior to leaving. Agree with you with regards to liking Surrey. Do I understand correctly that you live in Windsor ? I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live there. Anyway, the sun is shining in New Zealand right now, better get on.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to read the Crap Towns comments on Hinchley Wood, then look at http://idler.co.uk/category/crap-towns/

This may or may not help!

O.J

Last edited by OleJanx; Sep 23rd 2011 at 10:57 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:26 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Debbi****
DDL - small world eh ? It was my Dad's house in Addlestone that we left from to come to NZ back in February. We had lived in Woking for over 17 years prior to leaving. Agree with you with regards to liking Surrey. Do I understand correctly that you live in Windsor ? I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live there. Anyway, the sun is shining in New Zealand right now, better get on.

Deb, we're in Englefield Green, right next to Old Windsor/Windsor. It's a great location, and I'm 5 min. from work.

Tomorrow we'll be at Eton for their annual Eton Charity Fayre. Looking forward to it!

We go shopping sometimes in Woking, and went there for the panto last January.

Enjoy your sunshine!