Here's one for you...

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:40 pm
I've agreed to go!

Mumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant future
Question Here's one for you...

I'm still trying to make my mind up about moving to Oz, I've posted in the Oz forum, one thing they advised me was to look at the negatives too, and to get as many varied opinions on the choice ahead. I've read a lot of your posts, and they've really been very useful to me.
Just one thing I really wanted to know.
Do you regret taking the chance?
Not the decision, but the actual chance of making it work. Hope this makes some sense!
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's one for you...

Absolutely no regrets for me, although we came back to the UK, our experience of moving to Perth has taught me so much and changed my life for the better. If I had not have gone, I would still be sat here miserable moaning about the UK, now I am happier than I have been in many years and now realise my life in the UK is all I ever needed to be happy.

Everyone will offer advice based on their own experience and as you probably realise this will vary according to the advisor's experience, some good, some bad the only true way of finding out whether it is right for you is to take the bull by the horns and get out there and try it. Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:15 pm
I've agreed to go!

Mumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant future

Thank you so much! My worry is that I'll regret the whole thing, that if it "goes bad" we'll be left out of pocket and in a worse positon than we're already in. I've always been someone frightened of taking the outside chance, the riskier way of living. I don't want any more regrets, but then I don't want to put my family at risk unnecessarily.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:21 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mumof1
Thank you so much! My worry is that I'll regret the whole thing, that if it "goes bad" we'll be left out of pocket and in a worse positon than we're already in. I've always been someone frightened of taking the outside chance, the riskier way of living. I don't want any more regrets, but then I don't want to put my family at risk unnecessarily.

I won't deny there's risks involved the two main ones being:
1. you lose a lot of money
2. If you have a hubby or partner - one of you likes living there and does not want to return to the UK, the other ones is unhappy and desperate to return. (Also how old is your kiddy - I know a few people have had problems with older kids not settling)

Unfortunately I had to deal with both of the above, although after several rows and a LOT of nagging hubby came back to the UK with me and all is well now and I still definitely have no regrets about going.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:28 pm
I've agreed to go!

My daughter just turned 2, it's my OH who's sure of the move, I'm basically now the deciding vote! Feel I have to make the right decision for everyone. Plus I have a grandmother in her late 80's, and both my parents are 60, so are his. I know I have to consider them, although ultimately have to act for ourselves. I also don't want to become the woman who stole away the grandchildren and son of the in-laws, likewise, don't want my family to think that of OH!
It's helpful to hear all sides of the discussion.
What made you decide to come back in the end? And what made you choose to go?
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:35 pm
Grace and gratitude

My daughter just turned 2, it's my OH who's sure of the move, I'm basically now the deciding vote! Feel I have to make the right decision for everyone. Plus I have a grandmother in her late 80's, and both my parents are 60, so are his. I know I have to consider them, although ultimately have to act for ourselves. I also don't want to become the woman who stole away the grandchildren and son of the in-laws, likewise, don't want my family to think that of OH!
It's helpful to hear all sides of the discussion.
What made you decide to come back in the end? And what made you choose to go?
Read my other posts - the story is all there!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

No..it had to be done. Wish we had never had the idea though! But you have to live a little and take those opportunities. But...if you are happy I would suggest staying put! Sorry..
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice

we havent even gone yet but i can see myself posting on this in the future saying we are coming back (hows that for optimism) but at the end of the day i applaud all those who have gone and given it a go - for some it works out - great - for those who decide its not for them, they return probably appreciating the uk a lot more before they left . i'd rather give it a go and return if not for us rather then spend rest of life wondering what if?
good luck on yr decision
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paleface
we havent even gone yet but i can see myself posting on this in the future saying we are coming back (hows that for optimism) but at the end of the day i applaud all those who have gone and given it a go - for some it works out - great - for those who decide its not for them, they return probably appreciating the uk a lot more before they left . i'd rather give it a go and return if not for us rather then spend rest of life wondering what if?
good luck on yr decision
why do you say that? Oh dear
well if you feel like that, make sure you keep property in the Uk if you can and try to burn as few bridges as pos.
Having said that - law of sod will be that out of everyone, you'll settled into Oz life best and surprize yourself by loving it!!
good luck in your decisions
c
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice

i am changing my mind literally every day - but with wee kids have decided if we are going to try it - its now or never - worst case scenario we return and have had a family adventure (albeit an expensive one!!). just want my kids to have an outdoorsy life all year round but very concerned about drought and starting to appreciate the uk now that i know we are leaving!
thanks for tip re keeping property but it sold in a week and now i wish we were renting it out!! think this is my mid life crisis:
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paleface
good luck on yr decision
Paleface, I had to laugh when I read this. I used to say to the wife if it was up to her, she wouldn't cross the road, now shes in sunny Aus and luuuuvvvvviiiiiinnnnnnn it. She took time to settle but only yesterday she told me she didn't want to go home (I had been seriously unwell). It was music to my ears. Go for it. You only live once. Whats money???? We can always get more. God bless.
Old May 24th 2007, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still trying to make my mind up about moving to Oz, I've posted in the Oz forum, one thing they advised me was to look at the negatives too, and to get as many varied opinions on the choice ahead. I've read a lot of your posts, and they've really been very useful to me.
Just one thing I really wanted to know.
Do you regret taking the chance?
Not the decision, but the actual chance of making it work. Hope this makes some sense!
Me and my OH were talking about this the other day - if we had a crystal ball would we do it again. The answer was no. Not knowing what we know now. How hard it was to find work, how much money it has cost. The worry of being on the other side of the world when someone you love is seriously ill.
Whatever you do it is up to you. Work out what you have got here and what you hope to achieve in Oz.
If you still want to go why not just come for 3 months, don't sell your house and see how it goes.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
We will come back to the Uk appreciating what we have got more than before we left but the financial cost of this doesn't make it worth it.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stardust
Me and my OH were talking about this the other day - if we had a crystal ball would we do it again. The answer was no. Not knowing what we know now. How hard it was to find work, how much money it has cost. The worry of being on the other side of the world when someone you love is seriously ill.
Whatever you do it is up to you. Work out what you have got here and what you hope to achieve in Oz.
If you still want to go why not just come for 3 months, don't sell your house and see how it goes.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
We will come back to the Uk appreciating what we have got more than before we left but the financial cost of this doesn't make it worth it.
I agree. Are you happy where you are?
I know once the bug bites it needs to be scratched, if you get my drift.
If you do go for, I think looking on it as 'we're going to see' rather than we're migrating is really good.
If I knew then what I know now I dont know if I would have come, probably not to be honest.
If you're really unsure now though, maybe thats a feeling worth listening to.
Could you not come for a few months to see?
Good luck with the decision and well done for reading the moving back forum......

all the very best
T
x
Old May 24th 2007, 12:15 pm
I've agreed to go!

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I agree. Are you happy where you are?
I know once the bug bites it needs to be scratched, if you get my drift.
If you do go for, I think looking on it as 'we're going to see' rather than we're migrating is really good.
If I knew then what I know now I dont know if I would have come, probably not to be honest.
If you're really unsure now though, maybe thats a feeling worth listening to.
Could you not come for a few months to see?
Good luck with the decision and well done for reading the moving back forum......

all the very best
T
x
I'm not happy, but it may not help moving away, I'm not sure why I'm unhappy, it's mostly boredom, I've spent the last 2 years at home looking after my daughter, and though I love that, it's destroyed who I am...however, that's not the only thing to look at before a decision could be finalised.
Thing is, I wish I could afford to go over for a recce trip at the least, but we aren't in a financial situation to make that work...it's a pain. But we would probably go with the intention of staying 2 years (for the residency visa thing...not sure on all of the technical terms as yet!!), so I suppose "going to see" would actually be a really good way of looking at that. I think I stand a good chance of loving it as I'm kind of neutral on it all just now, no expectations of a better life, of Oz being the answer to all woes...does that make sense?
Old May 24th 2007, 12:25 pm
Grace and gratitude

I'm not happy, but it may not help moving away, I'm not sure why I'm unhappy, it's mostly boredom, I've spent the last 2 years at home looking after my daughter, and though I love that, it's destroyed who I am...however, that's not the only thing to look at before a decision could be finalised.
Thing is, I wish I could afford to go over for a recce trip at the least, but we aren't in a financial situation to make that work...it's a pain. But we would probably go with the intention of staying 2 years (for the residency visa thing...not sure on all of the technical terms as yet!!), so I suppose "going to see" would actually be a really good way of looking at that. I think I stand a good chance of loving it as I'm kind of neutral on it all just now, no expectations of a better life, of Oz being the answer to all woes...does that make sense?
Can totally identify with the boredom/unhappiness thing - my kids were 1 & 3 when we migrated to Oz, every day was the usual round of nappies, feeding etc etc. I kind of felt like I had lost my identity.

I thought Australia would cure my boredom/unhappiness (and give the kids a 'better life') - I guess in a way it did - but not how I thought it would - living in Oz made me realise what makes life great for me, and it was all back in the UK, and now nearly a year after coming back from Oz I am finally happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.