Reload this Page >

HelpBoston processing Questions

HelpBoston processing Questions

Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Romeio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HelpBoston processing Questions

Hello everyone,

I have some questions and hopefully some of the expert gurus here will help me out. Here's my situation.
I came to US on F-1 visa in 2001. But i didn't go to college after a semester which means I'm out of status (more than 360 days). In September 2003, I married a US citizen and send my marriage-based AOS application on Dec 23, 2003 through a lawyer. The following are the questions now.

1. My lawyer said that he mailed in the application to a INS post box in Chicago since boston does not accept walk-in submission of the AOS anymore. He further said it goes to Missouri service center from chicago post box. After that, the missouri center will send the approval to my lawyer and we can go to boston ins to apply for my EAD. He said i have to go through this since i fall under Life Act category. Is it true??? Or is something going wrong?? It's already been 3 weeks after mailing the applications and we've not gotten anything yet. I'm getting worried with so much revolving around of my application.

2. What is Life ACT? Do i fall under that act coz i'm out of status with my F-1 visa?

3. I read somewhere in this newsgroup that the US citizen needs to send in her state issued birth certificate. If not, then INS will send in a request for evidence(RFE) delaying the process. I'm not sure if the certificate that my wife has is state issued or not. It is issued by Salem Hospital. It's got a big golden star on it and my wife's tiny footprints. If it's not the state issued one, how can we get one? I guess my lawyer just sent a copy of it with the applications.

Sorry for making this thread so long. I would really appreciate for anyone's help in easing my worries.
thanx in advance
Romeio
Old Jan 15th 2004, 3:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HelpBoston processing Questions

You will need the long form birth certificate

http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/registry/registerbirth.asp
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by ray6
You will need the long form birth certificate

http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/registry/registerbirth.asp

Ray, Thank you for the response and the link.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Romeio
Hello everyone,

I have some questions and hopefully some of the expert gurus here will help me out. Here's my situation.
I came to US on F-1 visa in 2001. But i didn't go to college after a semester which means I'm out of status (more than 360 days). In September 2003, I married a US citizen and send my marriage-based AOS application on Dec 23, 2003 through a lawyer. The following are the questions now.

1. My lawyer said that he mailed in the application to a INS post box in Chicago since boston does not accept walk-in submission of the AOS anymore. He further said it goes to Missouri service center from chicago post box. After that, the missouri center will send the approval to my lawyer and we can go to boston ins to apply for my EAD. He said i have to go through this since i fall under Life Act category. Is it true??? Or is something going wrong?? It's already been 3 weeks after mailing the applications and we've not gotten anything yet. I'm getting worried with so much revolving around of my application.
I am not an attorney and the following is information I have learned through participation and reading of this forum.

You retained the services if an Immigration Attorney I hope for this filing. If you are inside of the US then you are not applying for a K-3 (form I-129F) and the Chicago PO box is where the K-3 petitions are sent.

For adjustment of status via petitions I-130 and I-485 are sent to the local District Office with the exception of those filing in Baltimore, MD. In your case, as per your header, that would be Boston, MA. While they might not accept walk in filing, they do accept them via mail submission. There is a program in place where some District Offices, not sure if MA is one of them, after receipt of the petitions will send them to Missouri for initial processing. But I have not heard that it is to be sent to Missouri first instead of to the local district office. However, your attorney might well know of facts that the layperson here does not know.

2. What is Life ACT? Do i fall under that act coz i'm out of status with my F-1 visa?
Pardon me if my terminology is incorrect but under the Life Act for a limited time period undocumented aliens, those who entered the US without inspection, were able to file, with a penalty fee of $1,000, for adjustment of status under certain conditions, one of which was marriage to a US citizen. You are not an undocumented alien. You entered the US legally as an F-1 student. Being out of status does not change that fact. So you would not have used that option when it was available. BTW it expired and is no longer available.

3. I read somewhere in this newsgroup that the US citizen needs to send in her state issued birth certificate. If not, then INS will send in a request for evidence(RFE) delaying the process. I'm not sure if the certificate that my wife has is state issued or not. It is issued by Salem Hospital. It's got a big golden star on it and my wife's tiny footprints. If it's not the state issued one, how can we get one? I guess my lawyer just sent a copy of it with the applications.
Your wife's decorative birth certificate issued by the hospital is not sufficient for filing. She needs the registered/certified copy of her birth certificate and/or her passport showing her place of birth and country of citizenship. Someone gave you a link to obtain the state registered certificate.

Sorry for making this thread so long. I would really appreciate for anyone's help in easing my worries.
thanx in advance
Romeio
Rete
Old Jan 17th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

Hi Rete,

Your timeline said December 2003 for your citizenship - what's the status on that? Are you a USC now?

Kath
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anyone4tea
Hi Rete,

Your timeline said December 2003 for your citizenship - what's the status on that? Are you a USC now?

Kath

Not me but my husband. Yes the timeline states that his swearing in ceremony was December 12 ... he now a dual citizen ... Canada and the US

Rete
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:17 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Boston claims to only accept walk ins.

Local Filing Procedures
Adjustment of Status/Permanent Residence
For those applicants wishing to submit applications for adjustment of status (I-485) to the Boston office, please note effective March 1, 2003, the I-485 packages (including I-130’s or other pre-approved petitions) will only be accepted in person.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...m#anchor155614
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by sibsie
Boston claims to only accept walk ins.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...m#anchor155614

Thanks Sibsie

I just checked the AOS filing experiences for Boston:

http://www.kamya.com/aos/massachusetts.html#boston

And in 2003 some filed by mail and others in person. The last was December, 2003 and they walked out with the EAD the same day as filing.

Rete
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:47 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link Rete. Another one to add to my favourites. From anecdotal reports they seem to be an efficient office (touch wood).
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by sibsie
Thanks for the link Rete. Another one to add to my favourites. From anecdotal reports they seem to be an efficient office (touch wood).
They are all listed on the root post at the beginning of the forum. Lots of great information which, of course, relies on people like you to keep current.

Rete
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:24 pm
C.G.D.S

I've added my timeline to the Kamya site but hadn't fully explored it until now. Thanks Rete.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Rete, Thank you very much for your kind answers. YOu are simply the great. God bless u.
romeio

Originally posted by Rete
I am not an attorney and the following is information I have learned through participation and reading of this forum.

You retained the services if an Immigration Attorney I hope for this filing. If you are inside of the US then you are not applying for a K-3 (form I-129F) and the Chicago PO box is where the K-3 petitions are sent.

For adjustment of status via petitions I-130 and I-485 are sent to the local District Office with the exception of those filing in Baltimore, MD. In your case, as per your header, that would be Boston, MA. While they might not accept walk in filing, they do accept them via mail submission. There is a program in place where some District Offices, not sure if MA is one of them, after receipt of the petitions will send them to Missouri for initial processing. But I have not heard that it is to be sent to Missouri first instead of to the local district office. However, your attorney might well know of facts that the layperson here does not know.

Pardon me if my terminology is incorrect but under the Life Act for a limited time period undocumented aliens, those who entered the US without inspection, were able to file, with a penalty fee of $1,000, for adjustment of status under certain conditions, one of which was marriage to a US citizen. You are not an undocumented alien. You entered the US legally as an F-1 student. Being out of status does not change that fact. So you would not have used that option when it was available. BTW it expired and is no longer available.

Your wife's decorative birth certificate issued by the hospital is not sufficient for filing. She needs the registered/certified copy of her birth certificate and/or her passport showing her place of birth and country of citizenship. Someone gave you a link to obtain the state registered certificate.

Rete
Old Jan 19th 2004, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by Romeio
Rete, Thank you very much for your kind answers. YOu are simply the great. God bless u.
romeio

My information about how to file was incorrect as per sibsie. It can filed in either manner in Boston. Mail and/or walk in.

You have retained an attorney. Call him/her and discuss this with them and see what you can do to straighten things out.

Rete
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanx again, rete

I talked with my attorney again. He says we can't file in person marriage-based applications at Boston INS since december 2003. So, the applications should first be mailed to missouri service center for the initial processing and after that they will send it back to the boston ins. And he says he sent it first to the chicago post box of INS and from there it'll go to Missouri though i'm not k1 or k3. Now, I'm really confused. I'm beginning to doubt on the attorney.

Originally posted by Rete
My information about how to file was incorrect as per sibsie. It can filed in either manner in Boston. Mail and/or walk in.

You have retained an attorney. Call him/her and discuss this with them and see what you can do to straighten things out.

Rete
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:43 pm
C.G.D.S

Why don't you call the Boston office and ask them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.