Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help... small amout of stuff to get back to uk

Help... small amout of stuff to get back to uk

Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of
Default Help... small amout of stuff to get back to uk

Hi everyone

My husband and I have made the decision were going back home, we havent been here long so dont have too much to take back, but think we might as well take the stuff we have brought to the uk, a fridge and probably no more than a few boxes. Can anyone tell me the best way of getting a small amount home or any companies we could contact. We're in North Shore, New Zealand
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help... small amout of stuff to get back to uk

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Hi everyone

My husband and I have made the decision were going back home, we havent been here long so dont have too much to take back, but think we might as well take the stuff we have brought to the uk, a fridge and probably no more than a few boxes. Can anyone tell me the best way of getting a small amount home or any companies we could contact. We're in North Shore, New Zealand
It depends on what kind of service you are looking for. You can get International removalists who will do your packing, pick up and deliver to the door in the UK, usually seafreight, or you could phone freight forwarders and see if they will do it to the seaport/airport or to their UK office or agent, though a lot of FF's are shy of personal effects these days due to the security risks, etc.

LOTS of options.......it depends on what you want, to the door nice and easy, to the airport, hassle of customs clearances, airport charges, getting van to pick stuff up. And cost.....MUCH cheaper to send by seafreight where the charge is based on volume not the dead weight.....airfreight is based on whichever is the greater though with personal effects it is almost always the actual weight if you have things like books, dishes, etc.....

WOW just saw your signature, have you really only been there like a few weeks????
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

sell the big items and buy again new or second hand in UK

take check in luggage only

fly BA, they have fantastic luggage allowances and buying an extra 23Kg suitcase or three is cheap
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

btw, I just paid over £5,000 to ship a 20' container to UK from Hong Kong

paid for by my employer I should add

if not, I would definitely not have brought back many of the bulky items
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655

fly BA, they have fantastic luggage allowances and buying an extra 23Kg suitcase or three is cheap
OK off to check out BA, as Qantas and most others only allow 23kg, the only other one that I know of that is good is Emirates with 30kg.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:18 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by john5655

Thank you SO much for this info about BA, I had no idea until today........10 bags extra...............10!!!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thank you SO much for this info about BA, I had no idea until today........10 bags extra...............10!!!
Wow John, I am so happy you posted this about BA, not only the 10 extra bags if you want, but they have great deals on air fares, one way to Manchester $1020 for February 2011. That is unbelieveable!!

Thank you once again.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow John, I am so happy you posted this about BA, not only the 10 extra bags if you want, but they have great deals on air fares, one way to Manchester $1020 for February 2011. That is unbelieveable!!

Thank you once again.
10 bags wow I didn't know that. You'd need someone with a lorry to pic you up at the other end.
It is good to know I can just buy more bags and let Dh go packing mad though.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
10 bags wow I didn't know that. You'd need someone with a lorry to pic you up at the other end.
It is good to know I can just buy more bags and let Dh go packing mad though.
I was thinking more like 2 or 3 extra!! Unbelievable hey?? Ooooo I LOVE BA ........
Old Nov 20th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

always happy to pass on advice from my own experiences

also, just as an idea, what we used was these plasticised canvas bags made in China and now available worldwide in bargain stores, great for packing soft items like clothing and of low value, just tape them closed and treat as a suitcase, but of course you can also use cardboard boxes

no need for extra suitcases

when we arrived at LHR I had booked an estate car for all the luggage, kept it for two weeks until I bought my own car, cost me £560 with Hertz