Help with schools please!

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Tara13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with schools please!

Is there anyone that can help me?? After 6 years of living in Mexico, we are moving back to the UK. I have the. Hidden, two of whom will be in the primary system back home, not my biggest concern right now. But my eldest will be going into year 11( which was 5th grade in my time I believe!) I have no idea how to apply or what to do. I am pretty sure the LEA will tell me I have to have proof of address etc, which I don't as I am not currently living there, and am looking at moving to go to a specific school, as am not rally committed to living anywhere in particular, so have chosen somewhere in Devon. But wouldn't want to go through the process of finding somewhere to rent etc then to find out she can't get into the school. I am really confused about everything, though really am pleased to be leaving Mexico. Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you!
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with schools please!

From what I can tell, and what I did. You have to be already in the UK to register your child for the local school.
Others have tried to do it before moving back and been told they have to wait and arrive in UK first.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:43 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, you have to have a tenancy agreement or an exchange of contracts, if your buying. You can talk to the schools before to get info, but all submissions have to go through the council. Occasionally some VC (voluntarily controlled) schools may have some leeway, but this would not be official!
Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same situation. They wouldn't offer me any places until I had a fixed address in the UK. I wanted to choose his school before we left. No chance!

Once I arrived I met with the teachers and visited the school I liked for my son, sent an email to the council and that was it. We received a letter from the school a week later confirming his place.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your dilemma. You don't want to sign a contract to rent a house only to find that the closest school that has a place for your child is ten miles away.

You can try contacting schools directly to find out if they have any places in year 11 or if the school is already heavily oversubscribed. Some may not give any response but others might tell you there is room without guaranteeing a place (which they can't until you're living within catchment). You're still taking a chance that there will still be a place when you're finally in a position to apply, but it's better than a complete shot in the dark.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that if the only school available is a distance away the child is entitled to free transportation. Don't quote me on that but I think I read it somewhere.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are in Mexico too and going back to Devon. My kids are 16 and 15 and we need to sort all this out. Will be following this post
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

FelicityG4 is an unknown quantity at this point

This might be stating the obvious but get as much information from as many sources as possible.
Write to the schools you are interested in and just be completely open about the fact that you will be moving back to the UK and that area and would like to know if the school would be able to accept your child. Find a number of possible places to live and write to the schools you like in that catchment area.
Write to the LEA and get it from the horse's mouth directly about what they do and don't do.
My default switch when I am in dilemma is to find out as much information as I can about as much as I can. Often means biting the bullet and asking direct questions. At least I then know what I am letting myself in for.
Good luck. At least you will know what the teachers are talking about, have a general idea about what to expect and can support your children more easily.